TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

^^ And your Giants ended up getting Barry Bonds, whose father played for the Giants, from the Pirates. Though I was sad to see him go, I knew he was unhappy in Pittsburgh, and it's always nice to see the son follow the father to the same team in these cases.

Anyway, at least we've got Cutch now, and he's under a new contract. Who knows, maybe he'll be the one to finally turn things around for the Buccos as his experience grows. It may seem like masochism to hope for this team, but deep down, there's a part of me that always will...even if other parts of me tend to say senseless things. What can I say? Aspies are complex folks.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Pirates are going anywhere. Isn't their stadium only about a decade old?

So let's get into the game going on right now. Nationals have their first home playoff game in a million years or something and are currently down 4-0 while a perfectly healthy Stephen Strasburg is sidelined.

I simply don't understand this rationale. I understand sitting him for the end of the regular season when their playoff berth/division title was WELL in hand. But in the Playoffs, you need to bring him back. This type of thing doesn't happen every day as fans in Washington should know. I'm just surprised there isn't more talk about this.

Also, what does everybody feel about the Nationals being relegated to a 1pm start on the east while the Yankees (as always) are in Primetime. I think this game should have been in primetime personally. Not because I can't watch (I have it on now) but for the fans in Washington who deserve to be able to see this.

I do have a feeling the Pirates' will do grand and bold next season. Yeah, they had a terrible implosion that is tough to swallow and the organization's fans have had to endure QUITE the torment over the past two decades. I've been a Tiger fan since my family moved to the Detroit area in 1994, I've been with them since that time and honestly they've been the only team I've loyally followed besides the Red Wings and NY Giants in my life. I just have to say, Pirates' fans, take a look at the Tigers' and the fans in Detroit. We had to endure 12 long losing seasons with no remorse in sight - thankfully though, we came through in 2006 by getting to the World Series.

We've had success too in 2011 and now this year as well. Don't worry, Pittsburgh, we know that feel.

A song that reminds me of what the Tigers' went through and the Pirates are going through still is Rodney Atkins "If you're going through hell". It sums up the losing years and torment quite well in my opinion.

^ Simply put Yankees = ratings. At least that's how the networks see it. I always notice that any World Series that doesn't have the Yankees or the Red Sox in it, is always called "The Lowest Rated World Series Ever!"

The Jets/Texans game beat the Yankees Game Monday night in EVERY market except for NYC, New Haven and Baltimore.

Nobody outside of NY cares about the Yankees and most are sick of them (myself included).

I'm sure the other big thing about being a Pirates fan is that you're surrounded by two other winning franchises in the city, which has to amplify the frustration. Even so, if I were a Pittsburgh resident and Pirates fan, I'd enjoy going to see a ballgame at PNC on a regular basis, no matter how bad the team sucked. That place is still one of the best I've visited.

And think of it this way, even though the Braves managed to squeak out one World Series win 17 years ago, their fans have pretty much endured the same heartbreak as the Pirates fans ever since. However, I think it's worse because Atlanta is annually allergic to postseason success. I'd rather my team not make the playoffs at all than be a Braves fan.

Just remember, there's three certainties in life.....death, taxes, and the Braves squandering another postseason opportunity.

Don't worry, Pittsburgh's time will come.

This is sort of expanding on some of the points that BeemerBoy made, but I find it to be significantly more fun and rewarding to root for teams that aren't perennial winners. I have received a lot of crap for supporting the teams that I do, but nobody can ever accuse me of being a fairweather fan. The fact that both of my teams (the Cubs and the Blues) have suffered horrendous seasons in the past six or seven years makes winning ANY game that much more satisfying simply because I know it could be worse. The Blues went on a tear last year and looked like a team poised to finally hoist the Cup, but they ultimately got swept by the eventual champions. Was it disappointing? Sure, but I was just glad to even be in the postseason. Heck, if the Cubs just win one game in a series with the Cardinals or White Sox, I am pleased simply because I don't have to listen to their fans make sweep comments.

Anyway, can somebody please knock the Cardinals out of the playoffs?

This has been so therapeutic for me, posting about all this.

Now I'm not ashamed to admit that I root for the Syracuse Orange in College Football, even though they haven't done much since Paul Pasqualoni left. It looked like Marrone would lead them back to prominence but...eh. Maybe the ACC selection will toughen them up in the future. I also stuck with the 76ers in the NBA, and the Penguins in the NHL, and they've rewarded my patience there at least.

Back to Baseball, I wouldn't mind seeing the Cardinals getting knocked out. I get a little tired of them constantly making the post-season. They're becoming like the Yankees of the NL, hehe.

The Jets/Texans game beat the Yankees Game Monday night in EVERY market except for NYC, New Haven and Baltimore.

Comparing an NFL game to a MLB game just isn't fair - I'm pretty sure the Bills vs Browns would be higher rated than the MLB game

I'm sure the other big thing about being a Pirates fan is that you're surrounded by two other winning franchises in the city, which has to amplify the frustration. Even so, if I were a Pittsburgh resident and Pirates fan, I'd enjoy going to see a ballgame at PNC on a regular basis, no matter how bad the team sucked. That place is still one of the best I've visited.

It was so awesome seeing them sell out a bunch of games this summer. I was really pulling for them (my Dad and a lot of his family are Pirates fans). And PNC is the best MLB park to watch fireworks at, as they reflect off the buildings in the skyline across the river. And they have a solid beer selection and great food - easily my favorite retronouveau ballpark.

Just remember, there's three certainties in life.....death, taxes, and the Braves squandering another postseason opportunity.

Yeah, I think you're right now. Plus, the fact that they signed a new contract with Cutch, instead of letting him go to another team, like they used to do with star players in the past, may be a sign of things to come...hopefully.

My team did that with Hanley Ramirez and he still ended up being dealt... ohhh, Marlins

^ But Baseball is the "American Pastime".

I think we all have teams we root for that have bad streaks, and extended ones at that. I guess the only team that I kind of root for that hasn't had that issue is the Lakers. But since I don't like Kobe (at all) it doesn't impact me much if they do bad. I don't typically start watching Basketball until the playoffs anyway (unlike Baseball, Hockey and Football).

So what did everybody think of last nights games?

Yankees/Orioles - I love how everybody is suddenly back on the Yankees bandwagon. They had 2 good hits. If you watch the rest of the game the Yankees could do absolutely NOTHING against the Orioles pitching. Hopefully the O's can put together a full game today, I'd like to see Dave get to an ALCS game (and of course see the Yankees lose).

A's/Tigers - Wow. Being out here on the Left Coast we've seen the A's totally defy odds this season and even though I like the Angels it's been very impressive to see. They are going to have a tough time with Verlander tonight but since the game is in Oakland and not Detroit they certainly have a chance.

Cardinals/Nationals - Don't even know what to say about what they will be calling the "Borras Curse" in Washington for the next 80 years. I'm not going to go as far to say the Nationals would have won if Strasburg was pitching but I think we'd be looking at a much different series. Just sad for the other guys on the team to work their ass off all season and have an agent and GM have so much control over a particular player.

Giants/Reds - I thought the Giants were done for. Wished the Giants were done for. Hope they are done for today. A home team has to win at least one game this series right?

As a baseball fan I make it a priority to watch the World Series every year. But I'm going to say it now ... if it's Giants/Yankees in the WS I won't be watching.

One last thing ... I work from home and I absolutely love it. But there is no better time to be working from home each year than during the baseball divisional series and the NCAA Tourney. So nice to have my TV positioned so I can see it from my office.

Yankees/Orioles - I love how everybody is suddenly back on the Yankees bandwagon. They had 2 good hits. If you watch the rest of the game the Yankees could do absolutely NOTHING against the Orioles pitching. Hopefully the O's can put together a full game today, I'd like to see Dave get to an ALCS game (and of course see the Yankees lose).

Thanks for that. Not just the hope that I get to see a ALCS game, but the fact that the Orioles are playing the Yankees TOUGH. Yeah, they lost, but they shouldn't have. Another close game, and usually the O's are unbeatable in extra-inning games this year, except against the Yankees for some strange reason. Still think the O's manager should win Manager Of The Year.

dt

I'll freely admit the A's have had a great year. But I have to give the edge to the O's manager, a guy who took over a team that many had tried and failed to do anything with over many, many years. He got them playing better in the second half of the season last year, and this year has managed to get great play out of a team consisting of lots of young and/or no-name players. Yes, I'm a local, and have watched this team struggle for a LONG time, but I really think he's done an amazing job, especially given what he has to work with.

dt

I guess when you stop and think about it, it could easily be split, considering the divisions in which each play. While Bobby Valentine did his best to keep the Red Sox unusually out of contention, the O's still had to contend with NY and Tampa. Then you've got the A's, who had to face Texas and California (sorry, I refuse to call them whatever else they claim to be these days).

Yeah, that really could be a coin flip....a lot like Trout vs. Cabrera. I'm never usually a big fan of splitting an award, but I honestly think this is one of the strangest years baseball has ever seen when it comes to individual accolades, and would be perfectly justifiable to do so.

You know, I've never been a big fan of the best-of-seven form of playoffs. Even though I like a lot of sports, I've always liked the NFL and NCAA Basketball best for having single elimination Playoffs. I don't mind the World Series being best of 7, because that's the tradition, but in the case of the NHL and the NBA, it just makes their seasons drag on longer than they should. I just stop caring about the playoffs in the NBA unless the Sixers are in it. Ditto for the Penguins and the NHL.

I'm with Mad Dog, in that I have a feeling the Yankees will win yet another World Series, if things keep going the way they are.

Absolutely amazing day of Baseball yesterday. Sad that the final game last night (A's/Tigers) didn't live up to the previous 3 games. Only game I missed the end of was the Giants/Reds but I didn't want to see the Giants celebrate anything.

Should be two great games today. I've got Washington and O's advancing. I think CC is due to give up some hits and the O's are do to string some together. They've been batting nervous and making stupid mistakes. I don't think that's happening today.

So question, if Washington advances, ANY chance Strasburg is placed on the NLCS Roster? Have him come in relief for Game 1/2 to get some work and start him in game 4 and a possible game 7 or Game 1 of the WS. At least that's what I'd do.