TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love that they blame the Umps for the loss based on that call (which, BTW, by the letter of the rule was an infield fly---but it falls way beyond what the intent of the rule is, as I am fairly certain intentionally dropping that ball would not have induced an easy double play...) and not their hero Chipper for that poor throw.

It doesn't matter where the ball is. The umpire just has to use his judgement as to whether or not any infielder (or an outfielder if they bring an extra fielder up) can make the catch with "ordinary effort." Since Pete Kozma was still able to easily get under the ball, it was technically still able to be called an infield fly.

It's a classic case of intent vs. the letter of the law. The obvious intent is for runner to be protected from an easy double play if the fielder intentionally lets the ball drop, which would have been impossible given where the ball was. However, by the definition of an infield fly in the rulebook---it was the correct call.

Well, it's official...20 years of futility for the Pirates. Watching the Pirates this year, as one blogger put it, was like having your girlfriend suddenly break up with you, and as she's walking out the door, turns around and kicks you in the nuts.

On top of this, the GM and the Manager both get to keep their jobs...unbelievable. I told you all before, this is the curse of Barry Bonds at work once again. I mean, how else do you go from being near the top of the NL central, to suddenly not being able to beat the Padres or the Brewers?

My Granddad gave up on this team long before his death, and it's about time I did the same. I have fond memories of watching the Braves with him on TBS, so I think I'll be pulling for the ATL in the playoffs this year. As for the Succos, they're not going anywhere as long as Bob Nutting owns them. A collapse like that, and you don't fire the manager or the GM? Inexcusable. If someone comes to me next year and says they're doing well, I'll respond, "Don't worry, they'll blow it."

^ Oh, that was just one game. It'll only hurt them if they let it.

That was it - the top 2 teams that don't win their divisions have a play-in game for the wild card..

Though I can understand how a Pirates fan wouldn't need to know how the new playoff rules work

Whoops. Didn't realize it was a play-in, I thought the playoffs had already started. Silly me

Still, the Braves will bounce back from BS like this. Unlike the Pirates, you know there's always hope for next year.

Go ahead and call me a fair weather fan. After 20 years of shitty weather, I think Pirates fans have a right to move on to greener pastures.

Well, it's official...20 years of futility for the Pirates. Watching the Pirates this year, as one blogger put it, was like having your girlfriend suddenly break up with you, and as she's walking out the door, turns around and kicks you in the nuts.

On top of this, the GM and the Manager both get to keep their jobs...unbelievable. I told you all before, this is the curse of Barry Bonds at work once again. I mean, how else do you go from being near the top of the NL central, to suddenly not being able to beat the Padres or the Brewers?

My Granddad gave up on this team long before his death, and it's about time I did the same. I have fond memories of watching the Braves with him on TBS, so I think I'll be pulling for the ATL in the playoffs this year. As for the Succos, they're not going anywhere as long as Bob Nutting owns them. A collapse like that, and you don't fire the manager or the GM? Inexcusable. If someone comes to me next year and says they're doing well, I'll respond, "Don't worry, they'll blow it."

I have zero respect for "fans" jumping ship, regardless of a team's futility.

You, sir, deserve the Braves.

I have zero respect for "fans" jumping ship, regardless of a team's futility.

You, sir, deserve the Braves.

20 straight years of losing seasons...20 YEARS!

You really think that even the most diehard fan can put up with that crap? Do you? At least the Cubs have had winning seasons in their pennant drought, and the Red Sox were able to make the playoffs during the curse of the Bambino.

What the hell do you know? What do you know, unless you've been in my shoes, or any Pirate fan's shoes? I've been waiting and hoping since I was 12 to finally see these guys winning, only to see it fall apart again and again, and see my team remain a laughingstock in mlb. Nobody can understand our pain, NOBODY!

Call me a fucking frontrunner and a ship jumper? Fine. I really don't care about the braves, to tell you the truth. I'm just mad, and confused, and I want to do something, anything, to protest management and the owner for letting my team suck so badly for all these years.

20 straight years of losing seasons...20 YEARS!

You really think that even the most diehard fan can put up with that crap? Do you?

Yes.

At least the Cubs have had winning seasons in their pennant drought, and the Red Sox were able to make the playoffs during the curse of the Bambino.

And you know what, those teams wouldn't still be around unless they had diehard fans. You know, FANS...as in people who bitch and moan about their failures, but love them regardless.

What the hell do you know? What do you know, unless you've been in my shoes, or any Pirate fan's shoes? I've been waiting and hoping since I was 12 to finally see these guys winning, only to see it fall apart again and again, and see my team remain a laughingstock in mlb. Nobody can understand our pain, NOBODY!

Hmmm, what the hell do I know? Well, let's see. How about a quick rundown of all my favorite teams?

New York Mets - I watched 'em win it all once, back when your Pirates were still significant and I considered Andy Van Slyke the biggest douchebag in the league. They teased me once again at the start of the millennium and haven't done crap since. I still love 'em to death.

Boston Red Sox - Please, don't ever say no one could understand your pain. Ask some of the octogenarians who had tears in their eyes when the final out was recorded in '04. Case closed.

Boston Celtics - Growing up in the 80's, they were my heroes. Then I spent two decades watching the rest of the league stomp on 'em, wondering if the winningest franchise in history would ever return to prominence. Guess what? They did....and I was right there through it all, with tears in my eyes in '08. You said something about "20 YEARS!"?

Miami Hurricanes - You wanna talk about highs and lows? Be a 'Canes fan. And trust me, the latest low is gonna last quite some time considering the NCAA is only a few months away from rendering us even more insignificant than what we've already become. And when you go from being arguably the most dominant college football program in history, that's quite a shock to the system...and pretty painful to accept as a diehard fan. Guess what? I'm still going down with the ship.....and when we do rise again, I'll be right there with 'em flashing the U in the face of everyone.

Miami Dolphins - This is MY team. They were my indoctrination into sports. I grew up at the Orange Bowl watching the Fins. Oh, and did I mention they haven't been relevant since their days at the OB? You know, the Miami Dolphins....the '72 Perfect Season, the winningest coach in NFL history, Dan Marino, etc. etc.? They used to be considered one of the elite teams in the league. Well, we had that card revoked decades ago. Yes, decades. Hell, I'm currently 38 years old, and these eyes have never seen them win a Super Bowl. Never. Oh, they teased me twice, failed both times, and haven't done anything to draw the league's attention since they became reality TV stars this offseason for HBO. Yay? But guess what? I'm a Miami Dolphins fan until death. Period.

The Boston Bruins - The reason I will never give up on any of the teams mentioned above. Again, 38 years of life before I got to witness a Boston Bruin hoist the Cup, and I openly cried when it happened. And for every single one of the 364 days following that, whenever I ran into a "life sucks moment," I'd stop and think about the Cup...and smile. Seems trivial to some, but that, my friend, is the definition of the reward for loyalty.

Call me a fudging frontrunner and a ship jumper? Fine.

If you leave your team, you are.

I really don't care about the braves, to tell you the truth. I'm just mad, and confused, and I want to do something, anything, to protest management and the owner for letting my team suck so badly for all these years.

How about this? The front office of the Pittsburgh Pirates (or any other team in any other sport) doesn't give a rat's arse about you....and never will. They are there to make money. If they happen to stumble across success along the way, then that's just the cherry on top. Just keep watching and rooting for your team. It's that simple. If you wanna be LeBron and take the easy road, be my guest. Just don't expect any respect from the real fans that stay behind to go down with the ship.

That's what I know.

EVERY team has bad times, bad seasons. Yes, 20 years is a long time but your team is your team is your team is your team. Period.

My Dodgers haven't won a WS in 24 years. Even the one year they made the NLCS we all pretty much knew that team wasn't good enough or special enough. And because of what happened with Manny and McCourt afterwards we were all pretty happy they didn't win and have a tainted championship.

My 49ers were TERRIBLE for more than a decade. TERRIBLE!!! I never once wavered in my support of the team.

Each person has to approach these things in their own way, but I could never betray one of my top 3 teams (49ers, LA Kings, Dodgers). Sure, with the whole McCourt thing a lot of us refused to go to Dodger Stadium but that doesn't mean we ever stopped supporting the team.

I feel really crappy for what I posted. Sorry for getting heated like that yesterday. I've been sick for the past few days, and I wasn't in the best of moods at the time.

Of course I'm behind the Pirates, I've always been. A lot of what I've said lately has been out of frustration, more than anything.

It's just that after this long, I just have this horrible feeling that our day in the sun will never come, and that the franchise will fold or move to a Southern city before anything good happens. I can understand the pain of never winning a world series, but to never have a winning season at all in 20 consecutive years...it hurts. It makes me really sad, and it makes me want to stop paying attention to baseball altogether, even though I know I never will.

I have no respect for people who jump ship when their team does bad. In my opinion they were never a fan in the first place. I'm a San Francisco fan and as a kid the Giants and the 49ers sucked. I endured a lot from the Dodger and Ram fans back then.