TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great, great last day! Red sox and Braves collapse like igloos in summer and the Rays finish the sweep of the Yanks. What an amazing last day of the season! 9 games up in early september. ha!

That was definitely a beautiful thing. And then last night the Rays shutting out the Rangers 9-0 in game one. Matt Moore pitched another gem. I'm expecting great things from him. Not bad for an 8th round draft pick.

Tonight... Shields was doing good until it all fell apart. Wow. It was painful to watch. Luckily Longoria hit that home run and made things close and made the Rangers a little nervous. Hopefully we'll get them in games 3 and 4 at home. The city of St. Pete is having a rally for the Rays at Ferg's, a bar across from Tropicana Field from 2-5pm. I'm going to try to make it out there for that. I'm jealous of my friends who have tickets to the games. I went to the playoffs & World Series in 2008 and loved the electricity of the postseason atmosphere. Nothing like it.

• 2 months later...

Wow! The Angels sign BOTH Wilson and Pujols?!

Thank God my RedSox only face them a couple of times a year. Yikes!

But, it is a great move for the Angels. They are in one of the biggest markets in the country, and they are up for new TV contract soon, (which is worth $$$millions) and the addition of these proven winners will enhance those negoiations considerably.

Any case, the American league just got a bit stronger.

Here is my take on the whole thing. Staring with Wilson, i believe him to be one of the most overrated pitchers in baseball, at best he will be the angels number 3 pitcher. So I am not really worried about him helping the angels.

Now for pujols, I have lost all respect for this man, I really though he played the game because he had heart and passion for it, Guess not. He signed for 10 years 250 Million with the angels, the cardinals reportedly offered him 10 years 220 Million. So here is my question, He has been with the cardinals for 9-10 years,he has won 3 MVP awards, and has been to 3 world series and has won 2 of them, what more does he have to prove by leaving the cardinals? Was it really worth 3 Million a year when your already making 20+ million a year, to leave the cardinals and possibly ruin your legacy as a cardinal? Guess he is only in this sport for the money.

^Or perhaps he realized that a long term deal with an AL team is a better fit for him, as he can keep his career going as a DH. He's already 31 years old with 11 seasons under his belt...

FWIW, the Marlins reportedly offered him even more money.

So here is my question, He has been with the cardinals for 9-10 years,he has won 3 MVP awards, and has been to 3 world series and has won 2 of them, what more does he have to prove by leaving the cardinals? Was it really worth 3 Million a year when your already making 20+ million a year, to leave the cardinals and possibly ruin your legacy as a cardinal? Guess he is only in this sport for the money.

How does leaving St. Louis "possibly ruin his legacy as a Cardinal"? He did what he did there, and now he's gone. It's not like his St. Louis stats get erased now. The only way his "legacy" gets tarnished is if it comes out that he juiced it like a certain other Cardinal....who, by the way, was pretty much forgiven after years of lies. Just sayin'.

At least he's not like A-fraud, who needed to go to a powerhouse team in order to selfishly secure a "legacy."

Ryan Braun tests positive for PEDs.

Thoughts on this one? Myself, I'm kinda surprised. Given that he's been adamantly against the use of PEDs in his career, and has been used as an example for doing it the right way, it seems odd that he'd show up in this discussion. A lot of rumbling in the NL Central, with Pujols leaving, Fielder possibly leaving, and now this.