TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Media Day Superman: Ultimate Flight

Went to media day for Superman: Ultimate Flight at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. It is a great ride and a good addition to the park. Too bad they couldn’t have pulled out Boomerang instead of Pandemonium.

The opening ceremony started a little late but was short and sweet. Who after all wants to listen to a long speech when there is the ride just waiting for us. They had only two speakers, Dale Kaetzel, president of SFDK and Jim Harbaugh. head coach of the 49ers. He made a little bit of a gaffe when he mentioned Cedar Point in his little speech, wrong park chain there Jim. I thought it was interesting that Superman didn’t make an appearance. I guess when you are in the bay area, Jim Harbaugh is the hero.

Talked to a few operators about capacity and they don’t expect it to be much different then Pandemonium. They were launching Superman fairly quickly and it is not a long ride. I can see where Pandemonium loading and unloading 4 at a time and having a limited number of cars on the course at any one time could make this a fair comparison.

The ride is awesome. It was pretty much a walk on for the whole day. I was jumping seats in the morning until my 6th ride. We didn’t pick up enough speed coming forward through the station the second time and didn’t make it far enough into the in-line roll and we rolled backwards into the station. Awesome to get a roll back! We were stuck in the launch tube for a few minutes until they got everything reset. When we got back to the load area we had to exit while they cycled it a few times. I took the opportunity to get something to eat and drink.

I had a chance to ride in every row. In my opinion any seat in the front car is good with the very front being obviously the best. You get a lot of negative Gs in the front when you hit the top. All seats provide a pretty good view. The very last row for me was a little uncomfortable on my shins. Shorter people with smaller feet would have no problem. The restraints press down on your thighs and against your shins. The problem in the last row is the wheel well cuts down the space for your feet not allowing them to move backwards and the restraints across the shins really pressed in hard.

There was plenty to eat and drink throughout the day including free beer! The staff was very friendly and helpful, the weather was beautiful and was just a fun day all around.

A big thanks to Discovery Kingdom for a great ride and a great day.

z1.jpg.ea659811d04516236f23cac23a7fc644.jpg

Something new has appeared in the sky line!

z25.jpg.0f2991f5f5b2e38f4e9aad77abacbee2.jpg

No, we are not in New England

z26.jpg.c1a05849295df7c157f6c3673b2a11d9.jpg

or Valencia, besides it isn’t even open yet!

z27.jpg.4f11595287bd86e394378008487064fe.jpg

This is where we are at.

z3.jpg.06fc2ce36b0bc0fef16b6ba94258fcd2.jpg

and this is what we are here for!

z4.jpg.04d5b4e63f5e66b36363f0fe259a6e92.jpg

Ok, maybe this!

z5.jpg.75fd779b88c69759b94483912acb869c.jpg

No, it’s for this!

z2.jpg.9d9c75b958598143955f7e0cb65090c7.jpg

Glad to be one of the invited guests, hate to see what the crowds will be like tomorrow!

z6.jpg.400d3ea34bc490fe07e3705551944f36.jpg

Ice sculpture with Superman’s logo out of cupcakes

z8.jpg.ec0947dc2f708b389e12d302a098b16b.jpg

I don’t think Superman Drives this.

z10.jpg.434c2aac346528ca9ec85d19ba5f0800.jpg

You can also read about the opening here

z11.jpg.687f570808bc7b2b8baf4890cf46dbc3.jpg

Waiting for the opening.

z12.jpg.26b05959f34eb2867fcc26a8a3625cb8.jpg

Somebody famous is supposed to be riding this right now.

z13.jpg.dc4735d1bf236b3a71c08c5eb134b134.jpg

It was just these two guys. I think the guy on the left is in maintenance and the guy on the right is a janitor.

z14.jpg.2c64008d2b9b9a16075c38cc0901ca36.jpg

z15.jpg.280e858918547ab60e0aac4c6ac6c19b.jpg

Nice day for pictures!

z16.jpg.735667530de21ae8e054582e09160c06.jpg

z17.jpg.d9be0e63aef52ad4f8a25996065d6ec7.jpg

Red kryptonite causes weird erratic behavior!

z18.jpg.59091f4a978e72c55fd7b892061cac98.jpg

No kidding!

z19.jpg.d467f164a4de68792cf044ea29a9944d.jpg

This ride is so intense, Rick lost all his hair!

z20.jpg.3bf0e4018a69600c972d815601fc856d.jpg

z21.jpg.b62d90c9783682c3401c34a76b10784e.jpg

z22.jpg.c46d4cd0a7ef8c1adba48fce7c83debd.jpg

z23.jpg.91732f8d12776bf454c53f5f33d5a7a2.jpg

Nancy! Put your hands up!

z24.jpg.f1e0aa2b58905af394b3cff29c858176.jpg

My final picture when I was leaving. Would have been a better with a coaster in it

Edited by gisco

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome photos! Superman is such a photogenic ride, what a great addition to SFDK. I know everyone is complaining about capacity, and if that's an issue, don't wait in line! I have no problem waiting in lines (as long as I have something to drink) and this ride looks worth a wait, which I'm sure it will get. If there is a Bay Area Bash next year, count me in! Haven't been to SFDK since 2002 *when it was still Marine World* and would love to go back.

Front row definitely looks best for the pop of air after the big launch!

Am i the only one who thinks the cars look absolutley ridiculous and out of place on this ride? Let down by SFDK. Big time

I don't think they look rediculous but I'm curious to see how they will hold up over time. They have these black plastic little wings that stick out on the side of each seat row. They are not solid and they bend a little when you lean on them or catch your cloths on them.

z100.jpg.4be0bcd9ce0487e45959ad9d38476e7a.jpg

Am i the only one who thinks the cars look absolutley ridiculous and out of place on this ride? Let down by SFDK. Big time

I'll trade you your problems for mine. But seriously this ride looks awesome. I hope I can make it up to ride it next time I'm in Cali.

Yeah, you're probably the only one--sorry. That being said, the ride looks good--even the trains. Premier makes good launched shuttle coasters, and I hope this one holds up.

It does seem a little weird that those little guards were added to the outside. I mean even the decals are applied underneath them. Must have been a last minute thing. I can't help but wonder what the issue was as it looks like it would be hard to get your arms anywhere near anything.

I will admit after seeing it running it would probably be hard to have dual train ops on the ride. I hope that it will have decent capacity although I have to say it still looks like it would be a better fit for a smaller park.

Overall though it does look like a fun ride and that is what really matters. I do hope this will last longer than Pandemonium which I didn't get to the park to try.

It does seem a little weird that those little guards were added to the outside. I mean even the decals are applied underneath them. Must have been a last minute thing. I can't help but wonder what the issue was as it looks like it would be hard to get your arms anywhere near anything.

The arm guards are there for a very good reason. But in all honesty, why do people care so much about what the trains look like? I didn't know that affected people's ride experience so highly.

My only concern with those little 'wings' if you want to say is getting your clothes caught on the corner of it or bumping your arm into it. I know there are clumsy people out there and sometimes myself, I have my rare moments where I'm walking with 2 left feet...let's not count how many times I've accidentally bumped into the railing where a bolt was sticking out (from the eyehooks they hook chains up to for extending switchbacks/rerouting queues). Other concern would be GP doing stupid things and breaking them if they are a little more delicate.

The arm guards are there for a very good reason. But in all honesty, why do people care so much about what the trains look like? I didn't know that affected people's ride experience so highly.

My comment was more targeted towards it being strange that they were clearly added fairly late in the game. Clearly the train was not designed with them so I am honestly curious what is the reason they are there. I obviously haven't ridden the ride however looking at it I don't see any obvious close clearances.

Trolling in another thread I see.... whatever.

If you are let down by the cars then that is just sad.

Also, I reject your reality and insert my own...

Let down by my own inability to appreciate awesome things. Big time