TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Travel Channel 'Coaster Wars' finds a familiar expert

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strangely enough, I wasn't surprised that Aftershock won the poll, as the public always seems to love the "Boomerang" type rides. (Montu was the best in that group, though.)

Saw the first episode, I'll probably watch the second one tomorrow. I liked the combination of video and commentary, but I wish that they had spent more time with knowledgeable enthusiasts like Robb and Joel from The Coaster Critic, and hadn't called everyone who rode something a bunch of times an enthusiast. I LMAO'd at the kid who said Medusa "might be the best in the country." Oh, you have so much to learn. I liked the show's overall format.

Well, not the best series about roller coasters, but I'm just happy that there is enough interest going to keep generating these shows on roller coasters. I actually really enjoyed the camera work they did for Aftershock with the catch cars, and there's always a high energy vibe from the narrator, the enthusiasts, and the editing.

But of course, the geek inside of me cringed at the over-exageration of ride elements, the incorrect matching of narrator explaining the element and the clip being shown, the ride selections for the given categories, a vague understanding of the categories (g-forces are more intense the longer they are sustained, not necessarily how high or low they can get...), not enough Robb, lack of coasters outside the U.S., and the biggest insult: The almighty Montu lost to a Vekoma clone.

But I'll still watch the show. Maybe someday a TPR member will be able to launch his or her own series and get it right. For now, this is the closest thing we've got!

^I guess I just really wanted to like this show but it's turned out to be a typical Travel Channel coaster show that would make even my mom laugh at comments.

Sorry Travel Channel, I'd say next time you film one of these interview more of the real enthusiasts and not the GP who 'likes' coasters...or at the very least don't label the GP as an enthusiast, it makes us look...good!

^Having also attended several of the shoots, I can say that there were times that more of the "enthusiasts" as opposed to "general public" were interviewed, but based on the segment I saw tonight that I was also present for the production of, those interviews were left on the cutting room floor.

The sheer amount of cameras that they had during the two shoots I attended, as well as the many takes they filmed lends reason to believe that they whittled the footage down quite a lot to make the 4-5 minute segments for each ride. On Kraken alone we rode over 25 times over the course of the 3 hour shoot, and every single one of those rides had at least one camera filming a different angle than before.

The show is off to an interesting start, and it is great to see Robb as the coaster expert of the series. I look forward to seeing the next episodes (especially the one with Kraken) and hope that the next week's voting doesn't blow my expectations away... I have to admit, I wasn't expecting either of the two winning coasters to be crowned today, so right now I'm 0 for 2.

Here's the sad reality: coaster dorks don't make for exciting TV. Robb would be one of the few exceptions to the rule, so it's a bummer they didn't use him more. However, in general, all those over the top "GP experts" make for better TV to a wider audience, since they really sell how "scary" and "intense" the rides are.