TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Efteling Discussion Thread

• 5 months later...

Latest news:

IT CLOSES!! (for the rest of the season)

The efteling decided that the Flying Dutchmen (Vliegende Hollander) won't open again this season. The attraction is having to much issues, and brakes down too often.

my words: they rushed it, they should have put more time in testing and stuf

Now a bit more information, instead of "shouting' it.

13-9-2007

De Efteling is not satisfied with the reliability of De Vliegende Hollander, the new-for-2006 attraction that finally opened this year. There have been numerous malfunctions. Management has decided to close the ride at least for the rest of the season and the winter period.

Investigations during after-hours have led to the conclusion that the chain that propels the boats is the problem. However, the ride was tested extensively by independent organisations. "After a long discussion we had to make the decision to close the ride temporarily. This will be more fair for the visitors. A tough, but well-thought over decision."

The problem seems to be the chain.

Translation by http://www.coasterplace.com

Now a bit more information, instead of "shouting' it.

13-9-2007

De Efteling is not satisfied with the reliability of De Vliegende Hollander, the new-for-2006 attraction that finally opened this year. There have been numerous malfunctions. Management has decided to close the ride at least for the rest of the season and the winter period.

Investigations during after-hours have led to the conclusion that the chain that propels the boats is the problem. However, the ride was tested extensively by independent organisations. "After a long discussion we had to make the decision to close the ride temporarily. This will be more fair for the visitors. A tough, but well-thought over decision."

The problem seems to be the chain.

Translation by http://www.coasterplace.com

yeah sorry about the lack of info but I was at work and didn't had enough time

• 1 year later...

Efteling has announced to close woody Pegasus. The new coaster on this place, Joris en de Draak, is themed to the tale of George and the Dragon.

- length: 1400 meter

- high: 25 meter

- trains: 4

- capacity/hour: 1700

- max. speed: 75 km/h

- min. length: 1.10 m.

This coaster gets opened in 2010.

Other new things:

- 'Fairytale' Sprookjesboom (Fairytaletree, teller of fairytales). Speaks from 2010, and houses all sort of wood-animals. The tree is 9 meter tall and has a width of 9 meter.

- Raveleijn, 2011. This theater isn't new here, but there's a change: the theatre itself has 900 places, instead of 750. The restaurant has 550 places instead of 300. The first Raveleijn-show gets a tv-show.

- Bosrijk. This 'hotel' gets opened November 2009.

Edited by robbalvey

Hey,

The Dutch Coaster and Themepark community just received the best coaster news of the year: The Efteling is going to replace the Pegassus wooden coaster with 2 brand new, dueling woodies. The current name is ' Joris en de Draak' (George and the Dragon). It will be 25 meters tall, and around 1400 meters long. Also, it'll feature 4 trains. Who will build it is yet unknown, but most dutch fans expect GCI to build it since the guys were seen in the park some time ago. Also, wether the total amount of track will be 1400 or each ride is also unknown.

Stats:

Height: 25M

Length: 1400M(together or a track is yet unknown)

Number of trains: 4

Capacity: 1700 P/PH

Max Speed: 75 KM/PH

Min length: 1.10M

Second, a new, 900 seater theatre will open in 2011, the Ravelijn. It will also be used as restaurant and for parkoffices. Also, in December this year, the new hotel will open, with a lot of free standing houses around it! Pics of all below:

Concept of the woody

The new theatre. The outside ring is where the seats will be.

The last 3 wer of the resort.

So, the Efteling is finaly catching up with all the other big european parcs! Just in time, and I think we can expect way more in the years to come!

[/img]

Form the concept art, this is going to be a dueling Senic Railway

I'm happy the efteling is replacing Pegasus. However, instead of a dueling I would have love to see the efteling adding more thrill and go for something big this time.

I'm happy the efteling is replacing Pegasus. However, instead of a dueling I would have love to see the efteling adding more thrill and go for something big this time.

Wow, this is shocking! A coaster enthusiast who think a thrilling ride put into the middle of a very laid back, well themed family oriented park.

Do you think all the Disney Magic Kingdom's need B&Ms and SkyScrapers to provide more thrills?

^ Yes it would...it would destroy the thematic integrity of any Disney park with a giant hunk of steel looming over the park.

But back on topic...

This is GCI's 3rd dueling, if I'm not mistaken. Let's hope they continue their string of improvements (Gwazi -> Lightning Racer -> New Coaster!)

Wow, this is shocking! A coaster enthusiast who think a thrilling ride put into the middle of a very laid back, well themed family oriented park.

Do you think all the Disney Magic Kingdom's need B&Ms and SkyScrapers to provide more thrills?

Well, franky, yes. By adding thrills you can attract a great audience. The reason why I only go the efteling every few years is because it lacks thrills. I am bored by lunch.

And I am positive that the Efteling and Disney can theme thrills. It doesn;t have to become Sixflags because you put in 1 B&M. Look at Phantasialands Black Mamba, that themeing is insane.

And I wouldn't call the Efteling family oriented, it's more a kids and old folks park. How are you gonna interest 20-30 year olds with gardens, slow darkrides and 3,5 coasters?

^ If Disney doesn't attract teenagers...then how are they the most successful theme parks in the world?

It's my belief that Disney doesn't need to add thrill rides to succeed. Yes, they may add one every once in a while, but overall, they are far less dependent on them as the other park chains, simply because they're Disney and people expect Disney to be family-oriented.

If they want thrills, they can go to Six Flags.

PS. Sorry for getting off topic again.

Everyone needs to remember that coaster enthusiasts represent a very small percentage of park attendance. Catering to coaster enthusiasts (or any small demographic) is a bad business move.

As I have noticed in this hobby, coaster enthusiasts are going to travel to a park to ride a new coaster whether the new coaster is a massive new installation or a family coaster.

Overall this looks like a great installation for Efteling. It's a people eater, can blend in well (since it won't be too high) and the GCI smoothness should appeal to many.

Most of the time, I'd rather ride a large coaster over a dark ride or small coaster, but a large installation can't just be easily plopped down in any park without it destroying the aura of the park.

Well, franky, yes. By adding thrills you can attract a great audience.

You're certainly not the only enthusiast to complain about the lack of thrill rides at Efteling. But the fact is the park is already very successful and is one of the most visited parks in Europe.

Personally, I don't see how there is much to complain about here. They're replacing a very mediocre woodie with something that should be much nicer. While I'm not a huge fan of GCII, I bet this will go over very well for Efteling and I'd love to go back some day and get lost in that labyrinth of a park again.

Everyone needs to remember that coaster enthusiasts represent a very small percentage of park attendance. Catering to coaster enthusiasts (or any small demographic) is a bad business move.

I didn't say they should build something that enthousiasts want, because that would be bad for business, indeed.

The Efteling (and Disney for that matter) only appeal to people who like slow, nice and beautifull rides. If you have kids to the age of 12, that's nice. But if you want to have something for every age, you can't do with dark rides and small coasters.