TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Efteling Discussion Thread

^They look like fun. Both of them! Is the soundtrack what you hear on the train?

It's nice and bouncy, almost stuck in my head, heh.

Actually, they are fun! In my opinion, Max (the blue one) is the best when riding backrow. You also hear the soundtrack on the train, so not only on the POV.

I wonder why Efteling chose to have the trains depart at opposite ends of the station, rather than race side by side?

Surely the fun factor of increased rider interaction would be more appealing.

They do look charming though!

It's a welcome addition because there aren't any coasters for the under 1.1m's at Efteling. But compared to Eftelings normal efforts this kind of seems a bit rushed and the lack of theming doesn't help. You couldn't see Europa Park or Phantasialand installing this with-out loads of theming, seems a bit of a missed opportunity.

From a park that used to prioritize theming over everything I don't really get this... A weed infested walking trail?

As much as I love Efteling I am wondering that too. There is really not much themeing besides some props in the queue area (which looks tiresome being a cattlepen) and gorgeous station design. The ride is "cute" but I feel like we would bitching so much about this ride if it was at another park but since it's located at Efteling it gets a pass.

Max & Moritz sure looks "fun" but it's nothing else than two glorified powered coasters on a field full of weeds. Bob felt special and unique whereas this doesn't. Hopefully, at least running both sides, capacity will be through the roof!

I wonder why Efteling chose to have the trains depart at opposite ends of the station, rather than race side by side?

I am thinking the same thing. At least according to both POVs, there doesn't seem to be much train interaction when the trains depart at opposite ends of the station. They seem to cross/interact only 1 or 2 times. But this can of course be different in real life, because I will say that watching POVs of West Coast Racers or Twisted Colossus does not give an accurate representation of interaction with the other train (since the POV cameras are fixed). So riding it is probably different.

It still looks like a wonderful pair of family coasters. It's funny that the relative lack of theming (for Efteling) is drawing criticism for this ride, but if this exact pair of coasters and theming were at a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park in America, it would be above and beyond! Just goes to show the differences between European and American parks. And yeah, the capacity looks phenomenal.

This is all speculation but I guess it has to do with the fact they already have a racing coaster in Joris en de Draak, so they probably wanted to keep twin track design fresh and have them go in opposite directions. But Like I said that is just guess work.

For me it works, the theme is two kids running amok in a village so seeing the trains go in opposite directions creates a chaotic scene, but for the onride experience it did nothing for me, they could easily run these coasters independent from one other if you ask me.

• 3 months later...

Efteling has announced Nest, a new inclusive / accessible playground opening next year. The playground will be themed to Efteling's roller coasters and attractions, for younger children and those with disabilities to feel like they are experiencing them and taking part. The playground will indirectly replace the Polka Marina roundabout ride.

https://www.efteling.com/nl/blog/nieuws/20201013-aankondiging-nieuw-speelbos-nest

• Like 1

^Sad to see that the train will be retired. When we rode it back in 2010, we found out the engineer had family in Canada, in central BC! But the new forest play area for kids looks great! Efteling is a wonderful park and spread out so nicely. Hopefully, we'll get there in a couple of years from now. 🎠

Here's our engineer who has family in BC! (TPR 2010 Europe Tour)

Resize of M-09.jpg

A couple of days ago, the Efteling presented a live broadcast of the new Aquanura show. Personally this was exactly what I needed in this challenging year. Enjoy:

This is a temporary version of the show, inaugurated to celebrate the 25-year career of Dutch artist Guus Meeuwis. 

• Like 1

@Nrthwnd, The trains are not going anywhere it's the boat ride with the whale that's going.

Last week there was some news about the expansion, the Dutch high court has revealed a partly judgment that said that the park isn't allowed to expand yet. About 15 from 141 points aren't good enough but the park now has half a year to fix them, so this still hasn't come to an end.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Source: Looopings.nl

There is news about the expansion. The Dutch High Court has given the final verdict today and approved the plans, this means the Efteling is now officially allowed to expand it's borders. After the local government approved the expansion in September 2018 there are now no further obstacles for the park to expand, the park is now allowed to expand both east and west borders with the rumored Intamin family launch coaster with Circus theme coming in the east expansion first. Last year the park chairman announced that due to Covid there was no money to rush the expansion however after the news he has said that next year they want to start depending on how the pandemic continues. 

So this is some good news.  I'm excited to see this rumored coaster as we've been talking about it sins 2018. Looking forward to see how the park will fill in the expansions as it will be be quite a big area.

• Like 2

Efteling has announced that they were given the approval to expand the park's borders to allow for future growth! The park has also announced that two of its existing attractions will be rethemed to 1001 Nights, the tales of Sinbad the Sailor!

800_efteling-developmentplanforworldofefteling2030.jpeg.ba7ebb354440d32c940cc6add72c2e5c.jpeg

https://www.efteling.com/en/press/green-light-for-eftelings-development-plan-wereld-van-de-efteling-2030/

Dutch Council of State approves plan and declares appeals unfounded

On 2 June, the Dutch Council of State ruled on the development plan 'Wereld van de Efteling 2030' and the appeals against the plan that were submitted. The appeals have been rejected, which means that the development plan is definitive. This rewards the extensive and several years’ preparation by the amusement park.

800_efteling-hoofdentree170651.jpeg.4082baba357d7812facf7fcaec840d9e.jpeg

Giant step towards the future

"In 2015, in cooperation with the municipality of Loon op Zand, we started with the first sketches for the development plan 'World of Efteling 2030'. Since then, there has been much and careful consultation with local residents, the municipality and nature organisations. The fact that the development plan is now definitive makes me very proud. For us, it really feels like the first giant step towards the future that we have in mind for the World of Efteling that we have in mind", says Fons Jurgens, CEO of Efteling.

Construction probably from next year onwards

With the approved development plan 'Wereld van de Efteling 2030', the framework for Efteling’s future has been established. Despite the positive ruling, this does not mean that the building activities will begin immediately. Due to the financial consequences of the coronavirus pandemic, among other things, large investments such as this will only begin from next year onwards. The very first step planned by Efteling is the expansion on the eastern side of the existing amusement park.

Efteling has also announced that two existing attractions will be rethemed to 1001 Nights to tie into the adventures of Sinbad the Sailor!

https://www.efteling.com/nl/blog/nieuws/20210624-wereld-van-sindbad-reizenrijk

The Adventures Maze and Monsieur Cannibale attractions have a new theme: 1001 Nights. Next winter they will open again with new names: Archipel and Sirocco.

wvs-birdview-blog-vergroting-2503x1440.thumb.jpeg.853c20cd4adbb28b4dc18497ccde8730.jpeg

Efteling is expanding the theming Sindbad de Zeeman in Reizenrijk. 

Immediately after the summer holidays, Efteling will start adapting a number of attractions in the Travel Kingdom, as the first phase of a total area development. For an investment of 2.76 million euros, the attractions Avonturen Doolhof and Monsieur Cannibale will be adapted to the theme of Sindbad de Zeeman, from the stories of 1001 Nacht.

Attractions get 1001 Nights theme

“We recently received a positive decision from the Council of State clearing the way to expand our eastern park in the future. We are very happy with that, but we have postponed the major expansion plans due to corona. We will therefore first turn our attention to the area that will border it. That area will be tackled in its entirety in the coming years in terms of theming, walking routes, infrastructure, etc. We will do this in phases, with the attractions Avonturen Doolhof and Monsieur Cannibale now being given the Oriental theme of Sindbad, followed by the existing catering location at a later date. Panorama is adapted to this theme. As a result, this area in Reizenrijk has been optimized as guests walk towards the attractions in the eastern expansion area in a few years' time."

The enterprising and wealthy merchant Sindbad de Zeeman has been in the amusement park since 1998. The Vogel Rok attraction is an adventure from one of his seven sea voyages. Sindbad (and his seven adventurous sea voyages) is one of the most popular stories from 1001 Nacht and is therefore recognizable for a broad and diverse target group. Opposite Vogel Rok, two new adventures from the sea voyages of Sindbad can be found from the winter of 2021: Archipel and Sirocco.

wvs-moodboard-blog-vergroting-2361x1416.thumb.jpeg.9c2f6933944cf5e95ef7d9f61e40e12a.jpeg

Elements from the World of Sindbad. 

Adventure Maze becomes Archipelago

The current Adventure Maze will be an exciting island, where young explorers can brave the (play) elements and discover the surprises that lie hidden on the island.

Monsieur Cannibale becomes Sirocco

The cooking pots of the current attraction Monsieur Cannibale become real trading boats. A whirlwind has sprung out at sea and every merchant who sets foot aboard embarks on a dizzying adventure until the storm subsides. 

Chief designer Sander de Bruijn says about the project: “As a designer at Efteling, it is my goal to create a natural and fairytale-like environment and experience through well-known fairy tales and stories. In recent years we have shifted the scope from building attractions to developing a complete area. Such as at Symbolica, where Polles Keuken and the Pardoes Promenade are also part of the overall atmosphere. We do the same around the Max & Moritz Square. In addition to the roller coaster and the Frau Boltes Küche catering location, we are building Bäckerei Krümel. By tackling a complete area, you can immerse visitors in a certain atmosphere. We are now going to do the same in Reizenrijk. The sea voyages of Sindbad de Zeeman are a perfect coat rack to further hang up the theming of Vogel Rok.

wvs-plattegrond-blog-vergroting-1920x1080.thumb.jpeg.aee9ff043a5e6e42e832e1111b4d4717.jpeg

From the coming winter, two new adventures from Sindbad's sea voyages can be found in the Travel Kingdom: Archipel and Sirocco. 

Richard van Leeuwen

The Efteling was assisted by Richard van Leeuwen in the elaboration and application of Sindbad de Zeeman's stories. In 1993, Richard van Leeuwen was the first to translate the authentic Arabic texts of the stories of 1001 Nacht. He studied Arabic in Amsterdam and Damascus, and Persian in Leiden, obtained his PhD on historical research and published articles and books about the stories of 1001 Nacht. He has won several prizes for his work (including his translations). Richard van Leeuwen says about the collaboration with Efteling: “The stories used by Sindbad and his sea voyages contain a large reservoir of cultural characters. These possibilities, in combination with Efteling's ambition to tell stories in an inclusive way, will certainly provide a positive picture of the rich Arab culture.

Efteling Vs. Disney for "Best Sinbad Song" contest.  I'm here for it.

It's great to see they're keeping Vogel Rok as a centerpiece attraction.  That coaster is so much more fun than many people would think.

• Like 2

I'm a little confused if Sirocco is a completely new ride with programmed spinning vehicles or will they still be manually spun like the Cannibal Pots.

Also I never realized Vogel Rok's original was in Sinbad tales,  I like the more cohesive theme in the area, but will seem strange having Fata Morgana so far away .

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect it's just the same ride, with a new 'skin'. The budget for the whole area revamp is only € 2.8 million (USD 3.2 million), I assume that won't buy them a new ride mechanism.

Also taking in their planning, apparently the whole revamp will be done within a few months.

• 6 months later...

The park announced two new projects today both planned for 2024.

Project 1: A hotel at the entrance of the park.

-Floors: 7

- rooms: 143

-Restaurant: 2

-Spa

-Cost: 50 million Euro.

This will be bigger then the current hotel.

Project 2: A new indoor attraction. After the summer the 44 year old spookslot will close it's door and make room for a new attraction.

-Type: Unknown for now, all that is revealed is that it's a indoor attraction.

-Capacity: 1250 people/hour.

-Cost: 25 million Euro.

Seems like a heavy investment in these times, however I'm happy to see them willing to go do it. Project 2 I have mixed feelings on Spookslot was a great attraction unique but not good, Sad to see it go but at the same time didn't visit it much so not a big miss. I'm more looking at the replacement ride, the 25 million is a hefty sum and seeing how the last two coasters are both below that (Baron 18 million, Max and Moritz 15 million) I'm slightly hopeful on a coaster but it's a pipe dream for now. But seeing how Symbolica cost 35 million I also wouldn't say no to a dark-ride. This project has potential to be something good.

About Sirocco, a little update, it was announced to open in 2021, this was delayed to January 1st 2022 as the park is 70 years old this year and they wanted to kick it of with this. However after the announcement the government decided to go into a lock-down and they expect tomorrow that they announce parks can reopen. I suspect the ride to open when the park reopens.

8 minutes ago, RCT3Bross said:

The park announced two new projects today both planned for 2024.

Project 1: A hotel at the entrance of the park.

-Floors: 7

- rooms: 143

-Restaurant: 2

-Spa

-Cost: 50 million Euro.

This will be bigger then the current hotel.

Project 2: A new indoor attraction. After the summer the 44 year old spookslot will close it's door and make room for a new attraction.

-Type: Unknown for now, all that is revealed is that it's a indoor attraction.

-Capacity: 1250 people/hour.

-Cost: 25 million Euro.

Seems like a heavy investment in these times, however I'm happy to see them willing to go do it. Project 2 I have mixed feelings on Spookslot was a great attraction unique but not good, Sad to see it go but at the same time didn't visit it much so not a big miss. I'm more looking at the replacement ride, the 25 million is a hefty sum and seeing how the last two coasters are both below that (Baron 18 million, Max and Moritz 15 million) I'm slightly hopeful on a coaster but it's a pipe dream for now. But seeing how Symbolica cost 35 million I also wouldn't say no to a dark-ride. This project has potential to be something good.

I'm really happy that despite everything that's happened in the last couple of years, we're still seeing parks invest. I'm really surprised about Spookslot, I thought that was sacred ground (along with Python) and honestly thought it was a better fit within the park than the Vekoma, but I'm excited to see what replaces it.