TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Efteling Discussion Thread

I finally got on Baron last week! It's perfect for the park with great theming and a fun, but not too intimidating ride experience. It's really well paced, an OK length and a lot of fun. It's obviously not crazy-intense but I don't think Efteling would have wanted a ride like that.

The pre-shows are exactly as I expected..... amazing but a pain in the bum. They're SO well done but the timing is all over the place and you spend a LOT of time staring at closed doors before being let into the next pre-show.

I can cope with looking at doors before entering the building, but when you're totally lost in the moment and completely immersed by the first pre-show, and then have to wait like 2 minutes before the doors open into the next area it kinda ruins the moment. I don't understand how they got the timing so wrong. Trains leave almost every minute, there's two trains worth of people in the pre-show, surely they should just make them about a 2 minutes long? I didn't really see why they were holding people back behind the doors in the first pre-show when they could have just let them through into the batching area like they do on Rock N Roller?

Sorry for the little moan I really love Baron, it's a great coaster, and I don't mind pre-shows, but I feel that when I blink I can see Baron's doors burnt into my retinas from staring at them so much

I'm surprised you found it that long, I really enjoyed the pre-shows and didn't find that I was waiting around that long at all.

Ton van de Ven former designer by Efteling died this morning at an age of 71 after a cerebral haemorrhage. The designer is known for the big rides he designed for the park like: Fata Morgana, Droomvlucht, Villa Volta, Piraña and lot of other beloved attractions at Efteling. Ton van de Ven started at Efteling in 1965 and retired in 2003. It's so sad he passed away, but his creations will live through.

Ton_van_de_Ven.jpg

Ton van de Ven 1944 - 2015

Some of his great work:

800px-Huis_van_de_Vijf_Zintuigen_schets.jpg

The parks entrance

Source

Droomvlucht

Source

Droomvlucht

Source

Fata Morgana

Source

Source

Villa Volta

Source

Aanzicht_Lavendorp.jpg

Laaf Village

Source

Rokschets.jpg

Vogel Rok

Source

Ton van de Ven was main designer for some great attractions, a couple of videos

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Spookslot (Haunted Castle)

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Droomvlucht (Dreamflight)

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Fata Morgana

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Villa Volta

• 4 weeks later...

Some news about the already famed darkride that should have come in 2012:

So apparently Hartenhof is too Dutch for the park as on EAS they announced that they renamed the darkride to Symbolica. Symbolica is a somewhat universal name as it's the mythical land from where the park's mascot (Pardoes) comes from. Also Symbolica is believed to be more pronounceable for foreign people then Hartenhof.

They also changed the name in as a nod to the recently deceased Ton van de Ven, who also created the Mascot and his land Symobolica, he always was a huge fan of giving the park mascot his own place in the park somewhere people could believe that he slept and lived there.

Source.

As of now they still have no date for when Symbolica should open, they however did announce it's still planed before 2020 wich means the coming 4 years the park has it's work cut out as they seemingly have a lot of things on their wish list before that year:

- Pinocchio fairy tail

- Symbolica darkride

- Expansion of current sleeping facilities or new Holiday park

- A Expansion of the parks borders (I mean we can at least expect a big/several attraction(s) then, right?)

It's all for their goal to each 5 million visitors in a year, So let's see what the coming years bring.

^^^ Sorry to read about one of the original designers of Efteling passing away. Villa Volta and Droomvlucht

are still two of my all time favourite attractions there. Not to mention all the wonderful landscaping around the park.

VillaVolta_Efteling2010.jpg.b91efca3e16dd2870de331c091130437.jpg

Me and Villa Volta, during the awesome TPR 2010 Europe Tour.

Forgot to add to my earlier post, but Efteling is one of my All-Time Favourite Parks in the World to visit. Truth!

And knowing this man's work is so obviously treasured and enjoyed by locals, is proof enough to me, this park

was put together with love and care, and working for the enjoyment of the public.

Top 5 for me at least. And Disney Sea is #1. Followed by....

114920039_ResizeofM-06.jpg.24a6e49c7e191125815d4a610f549192.jpg

Me and Jon, in front of the wonderful Indoor Carousel Building, with an assortment of awesome Dioramas

and Miniatures Scenes that were amazing to see and look through. And not a thrill ride! TPR 2010 Europe Tour.

^ Too bad the mouse controls on Youtube are horrendous. I'd be happy to watch these video the day it acts like a FPS game (just like NoLimits, too)! Having to click and drag, release, and repeat, and repeat... is just too tedious.

In the meantime, I bought a 10€ cardboard VR headset to go with my smartphone... And it is AMAZING! I tried the Oculus at the EAS, and while the later fits the head better and has a better resolution, the cardboard isn't put to shame.

^ Dude, arrow keys. Works fine on my computer.

Edit - W, A, S, D work, as well. Just click on the video itself, not the timeline. Click once and it'll pause, click again to make it play, then use your keyboard.

• 4 weeks later...

So apparently Symbolica the most expensive ride the park will get to date is going to open in 2017 if internal sources are correct.

Source.

They also claim we get to see the first construction work early 2016 so that means if the source is true we soon have to get more news. Also the park seems to have learned their lesson, when asked to confirm these "leaks" they said: "No openings year has been appointed as of now." You can translate that to either A: There is really no opening year, or B: they don't want to say to much now, having promised in 2010 the ride would open in 2012 and that went wrong they might be careful to say anything until construction starts.

Well for now we can only wait for more news.

Thanks for the update, it's good to see a bit of movement, and 2017 sounds like a sensible target date now that Baron has opened. This was originally going to be a Vekoma dark ride wasn't it, a Pandora's Box? It looks like it will now be a trackless ride... is that correct? Really looking forward to it as Efteling's dark rides are just so good. It's a shame Vekoma's Pandora Box idea never took off, though, as I really loved the concept.

It looked like it was a trackless motioned vehicle to me (see photo below).

It still may end up being tracked with a follow rail.

But we can always hopeful it's trackless!

EDIT to add: THIS is how I wish the Ratatouille 'rat vehicles' were done.

With that much tilt back, and front I assume. Would have been great use

during a few scenes in the attraction.

SymmbolicaVehicleEfteling.jpg.d403edc232db306f9be6d49042412c2b.jpg

^ By making it more tame, it was to be a family attraction, I believe.

Of course, like Test Track and everything after it, Disney might be upping

the level with this in another soon-to-open attraction?

I'm thinking maybe, something in Shanghai, or maybe one of the new

attractions in Tokyo DL? Scandi-Land in TDS, or maybe an actual new

Alice In Wonderland attraction in DL?

Hey guys,

as far as I know the original project was called "Hartenhof" and was meant to be the parks biggest investion and to feature an own patented ride system.

The text on loopings.nl also says that the ride will be about the mascot "Pardoes," which Hartenhof also was meant to feature, so the project was probably just renamed.

• 1 month later...

Now it's finally official, the park will open a new dark ride in 2017 !

Symbolica: Paleis der Fantasie

(translation: "Palace of Fantasy")

Some details:

• - opens in the summer of 2017
    - the park will celebrate its 65th anniversary that year

- it will be the biggest and most expensive ride the park has ever built
    - a total cost of 35 million euro

- located in the very center of the park

- themed to "the interaction between reality, dreams and fantasy"
    - ride vehicles with 6 passengers
    - 3 layouts, with interactive elements deciding your path

23943853199_e9a5d6f807_o.thumb.jpg.bbeb0078bbbbb00e8e274457ce3c46c5.jpg

highres: https://communicatie.efteling.com/bestanden/999/Efteling-Symbolica.jpg

source: Efteling

Edited by BDG

Finally they started. Took some time, but I'm happy. Good to see some chances to the plans, looking forward to follow this.

^Well they pay the expense of the past 2 coasters combined on this. This has to become the new crown jewel with that price tag.

No wonder they're locating it in "the very centre of the park."

With that price tag, they're making sure no one will miss it, LOL.

The show building looks lovely, by the way. And three layouts?