TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Efteling Discussion Thread

Love the details of this ride. Like the fact that the wheels are turning in different directions like they suppose to do (you can notice it in de video a little). Getting exited here just 2 more weeks before I'm going to drop from that tower into the gold-mine.

That is such a great video! It looks like a really nice coaster. Is the music the ride theme?

The music in that video is not the ride's theme. Today there were some outdoor sound and music tests.

Even today, first manned test drives.

11201942_10153479714048854_755773635044167831_n.jpg?oh=10a4fdf9c08f9f1b9ac0aec2579e1f82&oe=55EB1180

CHuESu8WUAE_MAg.jpg:large

Source: Facebook/Twitter Efteling.

Kind off like the fact that this picture can fool you if you don't think about it. But the entrance to the ride on the right side of this picture (the 3 stairs) and the exit on the left (the gates).

Station looks good both in and outside.

Ok, this ride has my interest again. Everything was really well done, and I'm very impressed with the amount of theming that has been put into place in the queue and exit area.

Also, in the video that was posted, they said something about drinking milk after the ride, will it be free milk, or will you pay for the milk?

This is really awesome.

Ok, this ride has my interest again. Everything was really well done, and I'm very impressed with the amount of theming that has been put into place in the queue and exit area.

Also, in the video that was posted, they said something about drinking milk after the ride, will it be free milk, or will you pay for the milk?

This is really awesome.

You will have to pay for it; it will not be milk, but rather milkshakes (and pizzas) that are sold in the little shop under the lift hill. The name of the store translates to "the little milk house". In old Dutch coal mines (on which the theming is based, even though this is a gold mine according to the story) miners were required to drink a certain amount of milk at the end of the day to clean their mouth and system of the coal dust. Hence the milk shakes, as a more modern, theme park-style version of that tradition The pizzas clash a bit with the historic mine team, but were missing in Efteling's in-park food offering so far. So they are probably there for a more practical reason.

I am especially impressed with what we have seen so far of the Gustave Hooghmoed animatronic. Its motions seem very fluent and it looks like he is holding a pipe with real smoke. He looks like a typical 1890s 'robber baron', very fitting!

Efteling has a history of creating compelling characters for their attractions and fairy tales and it looks like Gustave is no exception!

The last secrets of the Efteling rollercoaster Baron 1898 be unraveled. 'Looopings' can tell you what's happening in the pre-show/station building of the new attraction. The two shows in the complex were hitherto secret for the public.

Visitors who pass the entrance of Baron in 1898, ending up in an old gold mine. They walk into the dressing room, which can accommodate just 36 people. In this closed space the first show is staged. The greedy Baron Gustave Hooghmoed, the main character of the attraction, has placed two projection screens in this room. With pictures shown on one screen and an English translation on the other screen, he explains to the guests that they are miners who will receive their helmet. Gustave Hooghmoed promises to his miners mountains of gold lie ahead in the offing. In the middle of the room there is a remarkable record player that plays music of the attraction.

Visitors hear the mining baron telling them in Dutch: "With my cathedral of steel you descend to the deepest caverns." He also says in English: "I welcome all of you miners from abroad in my beautiful mine." The voice of Hooghmoed is known as voiced by actor Paul Gorcum, the famous Baron from 'Bassie en Adriaan (old Dutch tv serie).

After that, the projectors wich designed as old episcopes supposedly broken. By Using modern projection techniques the Witte Wieven (mythical creatures who are trying to warn us.) appear on the walls They sing that the group must go back. "U zijt gewaarschuwd." ("You have been warned.")

Hooghmoed is angry about this "superstition" and recommends his miners they should not listen to the Witte Wieven. He gives his miners the order to continue walking into the next room, the salary space. There, visitors will see the main character for the first time 'in person'. At the top of the stairs is a sophisticated talking animatronic who must represent the baron.

The animatronic encourages the group to walk through the boarding hall, where your transport will be prepared. In the second show Gustave Hooghmoed tells foreign guests to look at the instructions above the doors. The baron laughs, but also looks haughty. He ends with the best wishes 'Gluckauf!".

Then the doors open towards the boarding hall. The trains with eighteen seats are ready. They bring the guests towards the boiler house, where the lift hill starts.

Source: Looopings

www.looopings.nl

It kinda reminds me of the preshow of Mystery Manor for some obvious reasons. I like preshows at least once, but I guess you'll by-pass them using the single rider?

I've just had the same thought about similarities with the Mystic Manor preshow. The outdoor queue for the single rider looks as though they even have to visit the preshows every time. Efteling doesn't offer Baron 1898 as just a rollercoaster but as a total experience.

Well, I won't mind since I'm as much a theme-park enthusiast as a coaster fan - yet they better make this interesting and "re-watchable" (and not too long) or it'll get annoying pretty soon. But I trust Efteling about that, and having a break between rides is actually a good thing.

But I know not everyone will have my patience, and what sounds great on paper ("a long and immersive experience..." ) doesn't always turn out to be great in practise ("Standing in a crowded room for minutes, re-watching the same thing in Dutch ever and ever again... Let me ride!").

Efteling doesn't offer Baron 1898 as just a rollercoaster but as a total experience.

Yeah, I'm totally in this camp. It's one thing when a park like Six Flags just jams a pre-show in guests' faces to communicate a theme (like Terminator Salvation at Magic Mountain), but a completely different and more meaningful thing when the coaster is built as an integral part of the experience.

But I know not everyone will have my patience, and what sounds great on paper ("a long and immersive experience..." ) doesn't always turn out to be great in practise ("Standing in a crowded room for minutes, re-watching the same thing in Dutch ever and ever again... Let me ride!").

I'm fully agree with you. I do like preshows but a lot of people don't have that kind op patience. Especially for people from abroad it can be quite boring. Baron 1898 is built with a more international audience in mind, the name of the ride is written the same and has the same meaning in Dutch, English, German and French. The first preshow will feature an English translation. The animatronic will speak in Dutch but witch some English phrases and some German, like "Gluckauf'. The speeches to foreigners completely fits the theme of the attraction. In the early Dutch mines there were a lot of employees from abroad. It started one of the first major immigration waves to the Netherlands.

I love how well themed this coaster is, but I am not normally a fan of pre shows because they always feel too isolated from the actual ride, ie you will see a pre show then get on a coaster... the two don't normally really mesh together. It will be interesting to see how it feels on Baron.