TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Efteling Discussion Thread

i love the theming of the ride but the actual layout looks a little lackluster(like pretty much all other dive coasters)

Looks like, isn't feel like Krake at Heidepark is also a short dropcoaster. But when I compare it to Sheikra, I like Krake a bit more. The large elements in Sheikra does not make the ride better (in my opinion)

So, this will be a short ride that's for sure. But I don't think it will be a lame ride. Let's wait and judge the ride after riding it.

Really looking forward to riding this.

The layout is great for such a small area and looking at the model there will be plenty of places to walk near the track to make pictures and seeing the ride.

The theming on the outside is awesome and on the inside it will be fantastic, knowing the Efteling

After Oblivion, Sheikra and Krake this will be my fourth Dive-coaster......and it's gonna be right in my backyard!

Going tomorrow to have a look.....again

Paul

We need this in the USA! I would love to ride that coaster!

... and we, europeans, wish we'd have larger dive coasters such as Sheikra or Griffon. Will we ever be 100% satisfied?

LOL! Each country has something that every theme park junkies want. A coaster like Baron is highly themed and really puts you in the story. I love a coaster that fully immerse you into another world without leaving the theme park. And no. We're never satisfied. It's too hot. It's too cold. "We want Baron," said the US. "We want Thunderbird," said Europe. It's all fun though!

We need this in the USA! I would love to ride that coaster!

... and we, europeans, wish we'd have larger dive coasters such as Sheikra or Griffon. Will we ever be 100% satisfied?

We will never be satisfied that's true, but I like it this way, As European we like to go and ride the big rides so we're almost forced to go to the USA and have it there and there are many in the USA that like to ride the more "beautiful" (highly themed) rides and have to come here to Europe. I mean wouldn't be fun anymore if America starts to make the big themed one's and Europe the big one's. It sets the coaster fans in motion to travel the various types around the world. That is what I believe that makes riding coasters the best thing there is.

Anyway this ride will look great, there are some rumors that the ride will get custom supports all the way, the latest concept art (of the whole track) shows custom supports but I don't think it will happen, would be awesome though.

BirdviewBaron1898_closer.thumb.jpg.3968f1003845e7aef9d53d027a21047b.jpg

So I've been getting a lot of comments on our Twitter and FB page asking "What do you think?" "What do you think???" "Why haven't you said more about this ride?" "Do you like the layout?" "Do you think it's the best themed coaster outside of a Disney/Universal park???"

So here are my thoughts...

I think the ride looks good... and some of it the theming looks GREAT! It does more than Oblivion and less than SheiKra. Do I think the ride will be fun? Yes. Will I be making a special trip for it? No. Will I be looking forward to riding it next time I'm in Europe? Absolutely. I like Dive Machines better than Wing Riders so that already has a huge plus going for it.

As for the theming...sure, it looks great. But it's only the station and the lift that are really "themed", right? The rest of it just looks like normal B&M track. And the theming does look really nice, but I can also think of some really nice coasters we've seen in Europe, China, and Japan that have really nice themed lift hills and stations, too. I mean, hi, Nemesis is over 20 years old and it is STILL one of the best looking rides out there!

I'm not saying anything negative about the ride at all, I honestly do think it looks good and will be a lot of fun. But it sounds like a lot of the Europeans are doing that thing where they are totally over-hyping something that might only end up disappointing people once they finally get to it.

Why can't some people just be satisfied that the park is building something that looks nice, will ride smooth, and be fun without making an overly-huge deal about it?

There. That's my thoughts on the matter.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I'm not saying anything negative about the ride at all, I honestly do think it looks good and will be a lot of fun. But it sounds like a lot of the Europeans are doing that thing where they are totally over-hyping something that might only end up disappointing people once they finally get to it.

I blame Merlin for that mentality with new rides

This ride to me looks like a better themed version of Krake. A very fun little dive machine but not really that thrilling.

It's a little more than "the station and the lift" because the ride has a storyline, the queue will also be heavily themed and it will even have one (or more?) preshow. No so many coasters have a preshow.

As for the rest of the track, yes it will only be your usual outdoor coaster, just as DVH. But, if the concept-arts are correct (and they seem to be really accurate), the supports will be custom: look at the immelman.

[attachment=0]BirdviewBaron1898_closer.jpg[/attachment]

Why can't some people just be satisfied that the park is building something that looks nice, will ride smooth, and be fun without making an overly-huge deal about it?

Well I don't think that is the matter here about satisfaction but a matter of excitement and seeking adventure. Things you don't do every day, and people get a certain desire for it. Sometimes you forget how special things are when you are used to it. Especially when these kind of things are not always reachable for others(which makes the desire for them even bigger).

Regarding theming, it is really cool building, however it is still about the ride. In the past I did an in-depth interview with Ton van de Ven, who did the the designs for rides such as Dream flight, Fata Morgana, Haunted Castle and more. I asked him why he didn't themed the Python (double loop corkscrew) in the past and he said: "A roller coaster is about speed not so much about design. It is important to have some trees near the track to give a sense of speed." So how important is theming, will it add extra tension to the ride itself, that is a point of discussion where you can debate for a long period of time. However it is still an eye-catcher. I think it's a special attraction for the average Efteling-visitor, because it is not a common thing to see here. Efteling is not in the race for the biggest and highest roller coasters, and that explains also why it is as it is today. Story above stats

Btw just one remark, we added subtitles to the video for the people who are interested :

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1557802#p1557802

It's a little more than "the station and the lift" because the ride has a storyline, the queue will also be heavily themed and it will even have one (or more?) preshow. No so many coasters have a preshow.

When I say "station" I kind of meant the queue as well. And as far as a pre-show goes, I dunno, I think lately, especially in this last decade a roller coaster pre-show is becoming more and more comment. When rides like Terminator at Six Flags Magic Mountain and even the B&M at Hard Rock Park had pre-shows that included movies and animatronics, I just don't see it as being that big of a deal anymore, and truthfully, I hated it. There are VERY few pre-shows that I actually want to sit through, and most of them, especially for roller coasters, you just want to end as quickly as possible and just ride the coaster. So honestly, hearing the words "roller coaster pre-show" is NOT a feature I would get excited about. And seriously, if it has more than one pre-shows, forget it, I'm out. Not interested in a roller coaster with "many" pre-shows, sorry.

Sometimes you forget how special things are when you are used to it. Especially when these kind of things are not always reachable for others(which makes the desire for them even bigger).

Oh, c'mon! This would not be the first time in history that the European theme park enthusiasts over-hyped something. It seems to happen just about every major coaster.

I have two words for you: Black Mamba

All the INSANE hype that went into that ride from theme park geeks and what happened when I finally got out to ride it? It was an average B&M invert with some nice theming. I can name so many coasters that all went through this "OMFG LOOK WHAT EUROPE IS GETTING OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!" Black Mamba, Helix, Shambhala, Thirteen, OzIris, Flug der Dämonen, Wodan, X-Raptor, etc....

All solid and fun rides, but all absolutely over-hyped. And guess what? ALL of those rides are reachable to your average European as well. So while I get what you're saying, I don't buy it for second.

Again, I think Baron looks like a fun ride with some fantastic creative elements and I'll be excited to eventually ride it. But trying to tell me over and over again why I should be liking it MORE is actually doing the opposite.

Edited by robbalvey

All the INSANE hype that went into that ride from theme park geeks and what happened when I finally got out to ride it? It was an average B&M invert with some nice theming. I can name so many coasters that all went through this "OMFG LOOK WHAT EUROPE IS GETTING OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!" Black Mamba, Helix, Shambhala, Thirteen, OzIris, Flug der Dämonen, Wodan, X-Raptor, etc....

So, there isn't much left to ride for these more "common riders" from out of Europe left? All these rides seems to be "overrated" ?

Don't get me wrong but it's totally true for what Marwin tries to explain. The average theme park visitor out of Europe isn't someone that has ridden Top Thrill Dragster or Tatsu around the globe. The most people in a country like The Netherlands or Germany doesn't come any further then Italy or Norway. So it's perfectly explainable that for these people, a ride build with a short layout but with a good amount of theming (around the station) is something to look forward to.

If you are a coaster enthusiast that lives in a country or region with only "average" B&M rides, this will be something to be pleased about. Some people in regions get even enthusiast about a 30 years old Schwarzkopf.... It's just what you have in your possibilities. Not everyone has the possibilities to travel around the globe and ride coasters that are more suitable to your desires.

So yes, it's explainable that we make a big deal about it. It's another B&M that we are able to ride within short distance. The Efteling always has been a park with good theming and decent rides.(at leas for us) It's something we grew up with, and it's hard to explain to someone that sees this park like another park out there.

For us it's something like Europapark or perhaps for you Disney, kinda hard to explain.

Any reaction like: be satisfied about a ride without making a big deal about it is something like say; ah well, another lame ride in Europe.....

So, there isn't much left to ride for these more "common riders" from out of Europe left? All these rides seems to be "overrated" ?

Seriously, what is wrong with you people?!?! I have actually said nice things about the ride but because I haven't whipped out my penis and violently ejaculated to the renderings of the coaster, you either simply aren't getting what I'm saying or twisting it around to feed whatever crazy agenda you have. I was asked to post my opinion, and I did. Maybe next time people shouldn't ask me to post something if they don't want to hear the answers. This is exactly why I stay out of European ride discussion threads. I can't say anything without someone else trying to twist it around and getting butt-hurt in the process because the die-hard European park fanboys are the absolute worst and most obnoxious. Lesson learned. I don't get the insecurity complex Europe has with their parks because I actually prefer them to most U.S. parks. But whatever. Continue to over-hype all your rides when you don't actually need to. Knock yourselves out.image.thumb.jpg.546756d8fdd94bf811dfa332ed05f7fc.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

More than anything I'm just really happy that my favourite park is getting something new. I can clearly see it won't be the best ride in the world, but that wouldn't dampen the excitement to have yet another ride in a park I love. The theming on the station is extraordinary, and that, more than anything, is what's exciting me....that and the fact it's so close to the UK.

This being said, after the hype around Joris en de Draak and Black Mamba I personally felt they lived up to their pre-opening hype, and I really really enjoyed them.

Edited by Heth

Some people in regions get even enthusiast about a 30 years old Schwarzkopf...

I'm pretty sure that at least half of the people on this site would be excited to ride a 30 year old schwarzkopf. See: Montezooma's Revenge

Exactly! It's the insecurity complex of some of these Europeans that think they HAVE to over-hype a ride because for whatever reason in their crazy minds they think a lot of their rides aren't as good as in other parts of the world, especially the U.S., which simply isn't true!

The average theme park visitor out of Europe isn't someone that has ridden Top Thrill Dragster or Tatsu around the globe. The most people in a country like The Netherlands or Germany doesn't come any further then Italy or Norway.

And the regions between Italy, Norway, Germany, and the Netherlands have some insanely kick-ass rides! Even more of you include the UK. Many of which rides appear on my favorites list.

Here's some advice European wackos: stop trying to show off to the U.S. Enthusiasts and realize you guys have some kick ass coasters in your own continent. Maybe then you wouldn't look like such fools to the rest of us.

There. I said it.

Edited by robbalvey

Reading these last replies from other Europeans makes me really said! I'm European as well but seriously, why are you guys so crazy when it comes to a new ride? I just had a class about cultural cross training and your reaction to Robb's post supports the thesis that Europeans only see the negative aspects before looking at all the positive things one has said! Before replying that Robb is not happy with any ride, which is obviously NOT true, you should rather read the text first and comment afterwards. I totally agree with Robb, also claiming that European coaster enthusiasts take everything so seriously and feel attacked easily. They always want to be the best and argue about every single detail.

Baron does look like a fun coaster and a great addition to the park, don't get me wrong. However, we have so many others coasters that look so much greater and that we should be proud of, too! It's not that Europe doesn't have anything to offer so that every new ride needs to be overhyped.

Hello, I'm European and am cringing a bit here too. I think Baron is a beautiful looking coaster. The station and supports for the lift are inspired and look really classy. But it's hard to tell what it will be like as a ride and a nice station and structure do not necessarily make a good ride. I think once you're at the top of the lift at best it will be like any other dive coaster, and at worst it will not be as good as a lot of the bigger ones.

I think whatever happens in the queue and station will set it apart from the others, but it's not likely to be a game changer in that plenty of other coasters have well themed stations, queues and even pre-ride segments (eg, Furios Baco).

One thing I'd like to say in reply to Robb's original post though was that Black Mamba was a disappointment to me ride wise when I rode it on the opening year, but since then it has become one of the better inverted coasters in the World. Have you ridden it recently Robb? I genuinely think it has gone from being a nice invert with great theming to being great in every aspect

Baron does look like a fun coaster and a great addition to the park, don't get me wrong. However, we have so many others coasters that look so much greater and that we should be proud of, too! It's not that Europe doesn't have anything to offer so that every new ride needs to be overhyped.

Exactly: Katun, Nemesis, Expedition G-Force, iSpeed, Balder, Colossus, Piraten, Goliath to name a few are all great European coasters. My apologies, if I missed any, those are just a few I thought of off the top of my head.

Follow this link to discuss your favorite European coasters

Edited by larrygator

One thing I'd like to say in reply to Robb's original post though was that Black Mamba was a disappointment to me ride wise when I rode it on the opening year, but since then it has become one of the better inverted coasters in the World. Have you ridden it recently Robb? I genuinely think it has gone from being a nice invert with great theming to being great in every aspect

I agree with this statement, but IMO the reason why it was such a disappointment in the beginning was because of all the over-hype by radical European park fans. Now that the hype has died down and the ride is being judged by it's own merits, I like it much more than I did in the beginning. Is it my favorite invert? No. But I'd say it's a solid "2nd tier" which is VERY good going. Let's be honest, it's VERY hard to beat Nemesis, Montu, Dueling Dragons, Katun, and Pyrenees. (Hey, European nut-jobs, only two of those five are in America!) But Black Mamba is very close. The other thing Black Mamba has going for it is the amount of even more forceless and disappointing B&M inverts since it was built! *cough* OzIris *cough*

As for Baron, let me share with you some of the quotes I was sent on Twitter, Facebook, and via email from Europeans since the layout was released:

"Have you seen the layout for Baron? Incredible! What do you think?"

"Please tell us your thoughts on Baron!"

"Please give Baron more love on TPR. It looks amazing."

"Check this out: The best looking roller coaster in the world!"

"Baron's theming is the best I've seen outside of Disney or Universal."

"Disney will be taking advise from Efteling after this ride."

"Please tell me you will be riding Baron opening year."

"Look at this the world's new #1 roller coaster!"

"I will only be riding one roller coaster this year and that is Baron."

There were probably another 10 or so messages like this. What am I supposed to say or think? Sure, it looks really nice. The theming is great. And I'm sure it will be a very fun B&M Dive Machine that does a bit more than Krake, which is also a very nicely themed B&M Dive Machine that's a lot of fun in Europe.

And when I say "Yes, I'm looking forward to the ride. The theming is impressive and I'm sure the ride will be a lot of fun" that's just not good enough for some of the insane European park fans. Well, I'm sorry, I just can't be as crazy as you guys are because I like keeping my opinions grounded in reality.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

"Have you seen the layout for Baron? Incredible! What do you think?"

"Please tell us your thoughts on Baron!"

"Please give Baron more love on TPR. It looks amazing."

"Check this out: The best looking roller coaster in the world!"

"Baron's theming is the best I've seen outside of Disney or Universal."

"Disney will be taking advise from Efteling after this ride."

"Please tell me you will be riding Baron opening year."

"Look at this the world's new #1 roller coaster!"

"I will only be riding one roller coaster this year and that is Baron."

lol lol are they serious???