TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Efteling Discussion Thread

During the Winter Efteling almost all attractions open. Joris en de Draak, Python, Halve Maen, Bobbaan en D’Oude Tuffer are open when the weather permits. De Vliegende hollander and the Piraña are closed during the Winter Efteling.

Python has new trains (check video), they are really an improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

Grenade found at construction site Aquanura in the Efteling.

Today (January 20th 2012) there is a grenade found in the Efteling. The explosive is probably from World War 2 but nobody from the Eftling has said anything about the Explosive. Only the chairman from the Efteling announced on Twitter that they found a grenade and later he confirmed that the explosives evacuation service (or bomb squad) had arrived to take the explosive away to dismantle it. When the discovery was made the theater next to the future water show was evacuated. "Droomvlucht" will still be open. Probably the explosive were found during excavations work at one of the four ramps that they are building. Still a lot of uncertainty at the moment, only thing that's for sure is that there was a grenade found in the Efteling.

Source: http://www.vijfzintuigen.nl/Forum/index.php?topic=19244.0 (this is in dutch)

Correction: "Droomvlucht" was closed. It seems that the ride closed from the moment they found the grenade.

Well to be honest I was startled when I heard it. In the park that I visit the most had all that time a explosive. I thought I would share it here because it's very rare to find this sorts of objects in a park. Well I've to be honest here I was at the start against a water show in the Efteling but I"m glad now because they would never found it if they where not be building there.

Edited by larrygator

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I see it in some website or forum but... it will be Fata Morgana closed on February? Because I'm planning to do a trip on final week of this month and with the construction of Aquanura don't know if it will be opened or closed...

Anyone can confirm smoething about this? Thanks!

Fata Morgana is just open! But their are a couple of rides closed:

-The Flying Dutchman (De Vliegende Hollander)

-Piraña

-Raveleijn (the parkshow)

Joris en de Draak, Python, Halve Maen, Bobbaan en D’Oude Tuffer are closed when it is extremely cold...

Not bad for a "small" themepark..

Small? The Efteling small? Well somebody didn't checked the top 25 from season 2010 the Efteling stands on that list 24 or 23 from the world, this is from hundreds of parks, so being so high means your are not a small park. The park is also the 3th on the list of best parks of Europa behind Disney and Europa Park. So it's not a "small" park.

Aquanura will be a great addition to the park. Having some music from different attractions (like: De Indische Waterlelies, Carnaval Festival, Raveleijn, Spookslot, de Kikkerkoning.) will make the show a great attractive point. I love the trailer makes me want to go watch the show in real life.

• 1 month later...

Hey, this is my first post on this forum, and i've read the Efteling Thread tonight. I'd like to say that i like the Efteling a lot. People compare Disney and Efteling alot, which on one side is okay, but on the other sides these parks are not comparable. Efteling has grown over the last 60 years from a leisure park with soccer fields and some slides and swings to what it is today. So there was no big plan before construction happened when talking about layout, themes etc like Disney Paris, which basicaly was copy pasted from Magic Kingdom Fl. I think that's part of Eftelings magic, the fact that it isn't all planned, the fact you can just have a walk through the park's magnificent flora without constant themes being thrown at you. The Efteling claims to be "keeper of the fairy tales" and i think they succeeded in that since their fairytale forest is based on the original Grimm bros. and Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales instead of being completely social acceptable and lawsuit proof. YES the little mermaid is topless, you'd really think she would attract a prince by being prude and wear a clam bra? plus fairy tales aren't all about happiness. Girl with the Matchsticks is a perfect example. The little girl dies, but the story has a moral to it. Just like fairy tales were intended to be. Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be negative about Disney, i'm just saying it's not comparable.

Besides, i'm a fan of thrill rides, but Efteling has a statement to not involve into the big race of the biggest, the highest and the fastest. I think it's a good thing the keep to their position of being unique and stay to their core: keeper of the fairy tales and world of wonders. Efteling invests millions to keep crowds interested, but it's like going to a store: you don't like what they've got? try somewhere else.

Besides, i'm a fan of thrill rides, but Efteling has a statement to not involve into the big race of the biggest, the highest and the fastest. I think it's a good thing the keep to their position of being unique and stay to their core: keeper of the fairy tales and world of wonders. Efteling invests millions to keep crowds interested, but it's like going to a store: you don't like what they've got? try somewhere else.

You know this is a subject that comes forward a lot. Does or doesn't the Efteling need (or can use) a Thrill? I personal think that they mis a thrill. The park is good but you at the end of the day you miss that thrill they don't got. They just don't have the complete attraction offer and the last years the focus on the families with younger is grown to big, and still they want to go a million visitors up the upcoming 8 years. Of course they better of leaving the competition highest, fastest or biggest besides them, a small thrill will do also.

But I wonder what does the international park/coaster fans about the Efteling? So let us (the Dutch) know if you think that they can use a thrill.

^I love thrill rides and big coasters but I also enjoy a day at a well themed park with moderate rides. Efteling is smart in the way it attracts families, families have the money and spend it at parks.

Parks get into financial trouble when they start competing with each other for the biggest and fastest coasters because that costs money and thrill seekers do not spend as much money at parks to justify the large investments. Families eat multiple meals throughout the day, but souvenirs, play games and stay at the hotels. That brings in the money.

Joris and Draak was a great addition but I don't think Efteling needs a large thrilling coaster to prosper. They know what they are doing, growing by adding quality attractions.

Joris and Draak was a great addition but I don't think Efteling needs a large thrilling coaster to prosper. They know what they are doing, growing by adding quality attractions.

But what would you say about a small thrill that doesn't even have to be a coaster?

I love good theming as well thats why I am happy that the Efteling is so close at home for me. But every time I visit the park I have a empty feeling because I also like a good thrill (big or small). A small thrill will make this park complete, and will help them to there goal of 5 million visitors for 2020. Maybe it seems like I trying to fight for a thrill for myself, but thats not the case here.

I do think Efteling could use a thrill ride, but not in the big proportion we may thing of. Indeed a small, themed thrill ride can do the trick, A big tall coaster just doesn't fit in the park. Think of something like Talocan (

) or Mystery Castle (
) perfect for theming, they won't take in too much space and can give that extra thrill for those who seek it.

Efteling is investing in smaller children like toddlers and rug rats but a few years ago they were investing on adults... George and the Dragon, Ravelin(more all around), Flying Dutchman. Efteling is more focussing on redoing and renovating of current rides the last +- 5 years:

They redid the queue for VogelRok.

Gave the exterior of Piraña, Dreamflight and Fata Morgana an facelift

Redid the Anton Pieck Square ,rides and buildings.

Renewed the Python trains

Redid the Ton Van Der Ven square (also for the big flow out of Ravelin)

it may not seem a lot but these things require a big budget and planning. Efteling is constantly investing, so i didn't really get what Larrygator meant :

Parks get into financial trouble when they start competing with each other for the biggest and fastest coasters because that costs money and thrill seekers do not spend as much money at parks to justify the large investments

first of all the efteling is spending MILLIONS of euro's each year on investments, 42.5 mil. for Court of Hearts(2015), 17 mil. for Aquanura(2012). and small investments (wether or not necessary). so Efteling shouldn't be too worried about money.

second of all: Efteling has a great financial team which figure out the "Return on Investment" before plans become permanent. If something wouldn't be worthwhile Efteling simply doesn't invest in it. There are lots of examples of Efteling plans that were cancelled.

and last but not least, Efteling will remain a family theme park. and what RTC3Bross said:

and will help them to there goal of 5 million visitors for 2020
is true. they have to keep their target group broad. A family doesn't just excists out of mom dad and small children. when those children grow up they should come back to Efteling because it has rides to offer to them too. So when mom and dad go with their teenage kids, they might aswell spend a day at efteling, buying food, gifts etc. (maybe less then families with small children but still) it will add to the visitor numbers

^I meant that large investments in thrill rides take longer to recuperate than large investments that attract families.

^^That Carousel at Efteling moves fast enough to be considered thrill ride. The priate ship and spinning cannibal pots (tea cup) are intense, but rides like they have at Phantasialand (Talocan and Mystery Tower) would be fine if themed appropriately.

^I meant that large investments in thrill rides take longer to recuperate than large investments that attract families.

^^That Carousel at Efteling moves fast enough to be considered thrill ride. The priate ship and spinning cannibal pots (tea cup) are intense, but rides like they have at Phantasialand (Talocan and Mystery Tower) would be fine if themed appropriately.

haha that sure is true. The pirate ship is worlds biggest and the tea cups are great so you could consider them to be a thrill ride. and i actually felt sick after riding the Carousel inside Carousel Palace. Efteling will built something like Talocan and Mystery Tower someday.

^I just had to research how a carousel could be such a health threat. Looks like an unusual, must-ride attraction in this day and age. I doubt I've ever felt sick on a carousel, but watching a fast one is sometimes vaguely nauseating.

Keep in mind that Hartenhof still is in the waiting queue for the park. It won't be a thrill ride but with a mechanical arm traveling around in a darkride (such as harry potter but in larger scale) will make it a one of a kind. Sure, these are still rumors but as seen on the drawings, it can't be anything else. It's also the ride system they needs to develop that made this delay.

The Efteling has some unique rides that gives the park there status. Thats what they do and that's what they will keep doing in the following years with a ride like this.

I my opinion, let them make rides for the whole family like mentioned before, and keep it that way. Thrill rides can be found in any other park.

Keep in mind that Hartenhof still is in the waiting queue for the park. It won't be a thrill ride but with a mechanical arm traveling around in a darkride (such as harry potter but in larger scale) will make it a one of a kind. Sure, these are still rumors but as seen on the drawings, it can't be anything else. It's also the ride system they needs to develop that made this delay.

The Efteling has some unique rides that gives the park there status. Thats what they do and that's what they will keep doing in the following years with a ride like this.

I my opinion, let them make rides for the whole family like mentioned before, and keep it that way. Thrill rides can be found in any other park.

Isn't Hartenhof the tracked version of Vekoma's Pandora's Box concept? They had pictures of it at one point. How far back has the ride's opening been pushed anyway? I heard 2013, but with the scale proposed for the attraction it seems like we're looking more towards 2014 or 2015...can anyone shed some light on the timeline?

It was planned to be there jubilee attraction but since the rides system was to difficult they phused it forward some years. The rumors now say 2015 but who knows. What the ride system would be is hard to say. But perhaps it could be something like pandora's box, yeah who knows.

The restaurant on the drawings next to it opened this year and is in the same style. It sure looks good so i'm really looking forward to this.