TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst place in a park to place a roller coaster

-Bizarro at SFGAdv is a trek to get to.

-Goliath at SFNE is right next to the pre-existing boomerang, and they face in a similar direction

-Scream! obviously because it is on a parking lot.

-Grizzly: I had to ask a gift shop employee where the entrance was.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Honestly, the Grizzly is in a beautiful location. It is hidden away so you are unable to see it, however the queue entrance is just...odd... They don't really give you much warning whenever you try to get it. Even we had some problems getting to the entrance. All they really have to do is to give the ride a little more prominence. Maybe relocate the sign a bit and move the queue entrance over a bit so it is in the main pathway so it is easy to find. And maybe put on the map where the entrance exactly is, lol. They do that on Kennywood's map!

The entrance of Tower of Terror at Dreamworld is in an awful spot. The actual ride is obviously easy to find as it can be seen from miles away, but the entrance is in a tiny section of the park which you can only get to by either walking through the Dreamwork's kids area or Wiggles World. Hmm.

The Vortex at Thorpe Park is almost completely hidden from view. Most people don't even know its there until they see it from the restaurant. However this is somewhat a good thing as due to it's hidden location it gets virtually no queues, at least in my experience.

Not sure if this really counts, because it is not really a coaster. But Storm Surge at Thorpe Park is badly placed. It is slap bang in the middle of the path, creating a crowd of people trying to get through, blocking your way to X:NWO, blocking the view of Colossus, and generally being an eyesore.

Lightning Racer at Hersheypark. You have one of your best coasters in the back of the park, where not many people go.

I don't see this a such a bad thing. Just means less of a line for two awesome coasters. It does suck when the Boardwalk is closed though because you have to walk all the way around.

Dominator at KD is quite odd - down the pathway near the kids coasters, and onto what looks like an old school field, and there it is, on it's own!

I consider Dominator to be an expansion of the I-street area rather than a stand alone addition just plopped down at random.

Not sure if this really counts, because it is not really a coaster. But Storm Surge at Thorpe Park is badly placed. It is slap bang in the middle of the path, creating a crowd of people trying to get through, blocking your way to X:NWO, blocking the view of Colossus, and generally being an eyesore.

I was going to mention that. It sort of cuts off No Way Out completely.

I can think of 2

- Steel Venom at Valleyfair. Add a coaster next to Challenge park. I asked if it was free or upcharge (I was dumb in 03)

- Skyliner at Lakemont Park. Great Wooden coaster all by itself behind go-karts

Had no difficulty finding Skyliner when I was there in '04...it's the tallest (or one of the tallest) ride in the park for one, and two, just walk towards the baseball stadium and you can't miss it.

Totally agree with Grizzly at KD though. Had I not known beforehand that Grizzly was a roller coaster at Kings Dominion, I would've had no idea it existed. I walked right past it to get to Rebel Yell and didn't spot the entrance.

I recall Steel Hawg being placed at least a little out of the way. However, I don't remember if I was annoyed by this, or if it just seemed strange and less than ideal.

For some reason it took me a while to not get lost looking for Boomerang at SFDK. It's surrounded by flat rides instead of being in a little "coaster section" like the others, and it also doesn't seem to be as visible throughout the park.

I recall Steel Hawg being placed at least a little out of the way. However, I don't remember if I was annoyed by this, or if it just seemed strange and less than ideal.

For some reason it took me a while to not get lost looking for Boomerang at SFDK. It's surrounded by flat rides instead of being in a little "coaster section" like the others, and it also doesn't seem to be as visible throughout the park.

Oh My God! You won with Steel Hawg. Is it just me or is it outside of the park?

Timber Twister @ Gilroy Gardens. Almost Impossible to find the 1st time.

flight deck at kings island.Just way to far in the back of the park and ever since son of beast closed it has been a walkon all the time

This one wins it for me. It's so hidden and out of the way... not to mention it's a hike to get to the ride.

Also, before Wilderness Pass was built to connect Timber Canyon and Craftman's Valley at Dollywood, Tennessee Tornado seemed really hidden. I wouldn't put it in this category because it was not a bad place to put it. I love how it is tucked away in the valley and doesn't ruin the rustic country atmosphere of the area. Then, Wild Eagle came along and totally dominates that whole side of the park now...

Wildcat and Lightning Racer at Hersheypark seem like they are a bit far off from the rest of the park. It is a bit of a walk to get to Wildcat and Lightning Racer from the entrance. I guess Wild Mouse would also be included.

Okay, here's my list of roller coasters that were placed in bad places:

1) Batwing - Six Flags America - It seems they had to place that coaster in the middle of nowhere, plus it is a very, long walk to get there. And one more thing, besides Superman : Ride of Steel, there is no other attraction that is close or nearby to Batwing.

2) Steel Hawg - Indiana Beach - I say, must I be placed so far away from the other rides or attractions? Why, do I smell or something?

3)Lighting Racer - I'm not complaining where they placed the ride, just the fact that there is only one route to walk to get to the ride. Before Boardwalk came along, there were two routes and you didn't had to pass Wildcat and Wild Mouse and all the other flat rides to get to Lighting Racer.

" Are you done yet, because I miss you in bed."

My top 3:

The Boss at SFSTL, it may not be that hard to find but did they get sponsorship from a lumber company or Behr wood treatment to get that ride built with the mile long deck queue.

Steel Hawg because it is next to the second entrance away from everything in the entire park.

Montu was bad until they built Cheetah Hunt but it is still separate from everything with nothing but the games area, the Crown Colony and tuts tomb near it.

Okay, here's my list of roller coasters that were placed in bad places:

1) Batwing - Six Flags America - It seems they had to place that coaster in the middle of nowhere, plus it is a very, long walk to get there. And one more thing, besides Superman : Ride of Steel, there is no other attraction that is close or nearby to Batwing.

2) Steel Hawg - Indiana Beach - I say, must I be placed so far away from the other rides or attractions? Why, do I smell or something?

3)Lighting Racer - I'm not complaining where they placed the ride, just the fact that there is only one route to walk to get to the ride. Before Boardwalk came along, there were two routes and you didn't had to pass Wildcat and Wild Mouse and all the other flat rides to get to Lighting Racer.

" Are you done yet, because I miss you in bed."

And that'something I don't quite get about the addition of IW in it's present location when it could've fit somewhere around the superman/batwing area just as easily.

Someone mentioned KI's Flight Deck earlier, and I'll go along with that one, too. It is in one very odd spot, and is dwarfed by the SBNO Son of Beast. So, I'd say SFA's Batwing and KI's Flight Deck share my "worst placement" prize.