TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The 26 year wait for a ride..

Back in 1986, an English documentary programme called "QED" had a show about roller coasters + thril rides, called "The Most Swirling Swinging Sliding Spinning Up-and-Down Ride of Your Life".

Clips can be found on youtube...

Amongst the clips of pirate ships, enterprises, wave swingers etc. they showed a first gen intamin drop tower. I'd wanted to go on one ever since - and I finally got the cred at dorney park a couple of weeks ago!

Has anyone else had any seriously long waits between finding out about a ride, and actually going on it?

Also worth noting are my waits to ride Ultimate, the big one and shockwave at drayton manor - heard about all of them at Uni (early-mid 90s), rode them in 2006 and 7!

I also waited about 25 years for a reride on space mountain at disney world!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read about Steel Phantom in '91, when it first opened up. Seeing pictures of it and hearing about its famous drop was what turned me into a coaster fanatic, and I was determined to get on it.

I finally did get to ride it (sort of - never did get on the original version pre-transformation into Phantom's Revenge) nearly two decades later- 2008, I think.

Absolutely worth the wait, and possibly still my favorite steel coaster.

I remember watching a coaster documentary film when I was way young and Great American Scream Machine at SFGAdv was the programs feature coaster. It was "fastest and highest" blah, blah, blah. When I saw the show I really wanted to ride it, I told myself I would ride it one day.

well... that never happened. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay . . . what was the longest wait I had to endure to ride a ride I wanted to ride so badly?

Answer - I had to wait nine years to finally ride Deja Vu!

Why did it take so long for me to be able to ride this extreme inverted boomerang? It was because of the two Six Flags parks that did have the Deja Vu, but on the day I visited the ride wasn't running. Six Flags Great America in 2001 and Six Flags over Georgia in 2003 and 2004. It wasn't until I visited Six Flags Magic Mountain that I was finally able to ride Deja Vu ( And I did it twice in a row, both in the front seat)! In 2012, Deja Vu was moved to Six Flags New England and renamed Goliath, and I rode that one too.

Stop the Presses!!! I just remembered another coaster from Six Flags New England in which I had to wait even longer before riding: I forgot about Bizzaro. During my visit in 2001, that coaster ( known back then as Superman) wasn't running due to maintainence issues. This year, 2012 - 11 years later, I finally rode that coaster!

Besides those two coasters, I cannot think of anymore rides in which I had to wait for a very long time before getting the chance to ride it.

"Hey, what about me? Don't you wait too long before you decide to ride me!"

The first time I saw the Great American Revolution in the movie "Rollercoaster" way back when the movie was first realeased to theaters in the 70's I knew someday I was going to ride it. I finally did in 2001 even though it already went through its modifications.

I'm quite young, so I don't really have a lot of these long stories, but here are the ones I do have.

Long ago, I saw Son of Beast on a show, saying how it was the only looping woodie and stuff. I got to ride several years later - after the loop was removed.

I went to Cedar Point when I was 2 or 3, and my parents always tell the story of how I threw a fit about not getting to ride Wicked Twister (not understanding the concept of the "height restriction). I got to ride it when I was 10 or 11, so about 8 or 9 years. Same with a bunch of other CP rides, as I go, like 10 to 20 times a year, and I used to be rather short, so it was a long wait to ride some of the bigger rides.

I figured this was a thread about Flying Turns...

Yep, thought that too.

And speaking of Knoebels related things:

I've known about Pheonix since around the time RCT2 came out (2002), which is when I first started spending my time browsing RCDB for hours, haha. This will finally be the year. August 3rd! I can barely contain myself.

There are only two places I seriously wanted to visit since childhood. One was EPCOT, which requires no explanation.

The other was Coney Island. When I saw video clips of crazy old rides there on TV, I thought to myself, "I don't even believe in rides and I still would've made a point to ride those." It was both saddening and mystifying to think that such a grand place of excitement could be so famous and widely visited and yet still manage to die off. I had no idea there was anything left of the place, and I would ask my mom about what it was like and why it was gone now. I also didn't quite understand how people got to it if it was really an island (because you know, when I was a child, bridges were still a new invention). Even recently I thought maybe the name was just a reference to Long Island, but it turns out it was originally more of an island of its own.

I don't even remember when I first found out about the Cyclone. Probably just one of those things I stored in my brain as mostly uninteresting when I first found out, but still took for granted later when I became an enthusiast.

Last year when I planned to visit Coney Island, I was actually more excited to go there than Manhattan (I cringe to recall this now). I would daydream about it frequently with only moderate misgivings about the Cyclone. When I finally got there, however, I was none too impressed. Part of me thought the place absolutely needed the Zamperla cleanup in order to be at all hospitable, but part of me was disappointed by it and felt its seedier past self would've been much more fun. I definitely think Deno's, the Cyclone itself, 12th St. Amusements, and Eldorado Auto Skooters had loads more character (or at least air-quotes "character") than Luna Park and Scream Zone.

All that said, I still appreciate the historical significance of Coney Island, and I'm looking forward to my next visit, as well as future visits for the return of the B&B Carousell and any other significant developments.

I wanted to ride 'X' badly from the announcement, watching it get built, (and then re-built) - so much that I had many, many dreams where I was waiting in line, and just before I got on it, I'd wake up. Or I'd be at the park and rode everything else and forgot to ride it.

Finally last year I got to go out there and ride X2 5 or 6 times. Loved it. First drop is insane.

Then there was Silver Star, which I got to watch them build, and thanks to TPR, had ERT on it just a few weeks ago. Whee! (Of course Blue Fire was a few thousand times better)

No more dreams

• 1 month later...

I'm still upset about missing out on (what was then) Superman at SFNE. We went well out of our way to go there from RI to Boston, only to have it be closed. Apparently the ride had been down for about a week due to something with the lift hill. I haven't been back out that way since then. Really a bummer getting so close to what was considered the best coaster in the world and not getting to ride it. The only ride I went on was Cyclone and then it started to rain and we just decided to leave.

I've always wanted to go on Millenium Force, ever since a friend went to work for Cedar Point that summer. Twelve years later I still haven't. It will happen someday.

I waited a long time for this one too, mate. It will be worth it when you get there.

The longest wait I can think of was for Disneyland Paris's version of Space Mountain. I first saw a picture of it in a book around 1998 or so, and at the time I didn't think I'd ever get to ride it. However, I got to ride it this year (14 years and one major refurbishment later).

The one I'm still waiting for...Alton Towers. I've wanted to visit since I learned about the park (either through the same book or through the original RCT scenario). In the US, it would be the Universal Orlando resort, but I didn't really know much about it until around 2002 or so and I'm pretty confident I'll get there before I get to Alton Towers (although I got to Disneyland Paris and haven't yet been to Disney World, so you never know).