TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TV contract for this playoff format runs until 2025, so now we are stuck with this format for the next 12 years. Hopefully after it can grow to 8 teams (a real playoff!).

Yeah I think 8 teams will eventually be the magic number, 16 might be too many unless they were to get rid of conference championship games or something (which won't happen).

I wonder how difficult that contract would be to re-negotiate to 8 teams before the 12 years is up? Seems like there will be more than enough interest in this thing to justify the format expansion and plenty of money to be made in the process.

Yeah I agree, this bowl season overall felt like it was much more entertaining than it has been in years past. Even some of the non- BCS match-ups like the Cotton and Chik-Fil-A bowl were entertaining.

Yeah, even the "Gildan New Mexico Bowl" was awesome!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10257706/booster-red-mccombs-bashes-texas-longhorns-charlie-strong-hire

Anybody see this story about this Texas booster who said Charlie Strong was a bad hire and he'd be a better position coach or coordinator at Texas than a head coach?

I have a feeling this booster is going to put his foot in his mouth in a few years. If Strong makes the right staff hires, he should be able to recruit Texas easily, plus we all know how well he recruits Florida. What his teams did at Louisville on the field speaks for itself.

Well, Louisville was part of the weakest of the automatic qualifying conferences. Texas is a different beast. Not only because the level of competition in the BIG-XII is higher and the recruiting battles more fierce, but because interactions with boosters are much bigger part of life as well. Strong better be on the phone with Red McCombs trying to kiss his ass if he wants to ensure long term success, since Texas needs to keep his (and other big boosters) money coming in to keep the program a top flight program.

Looks like Petrino to Louisville is a done deal. Interesting note, when Western Kentucky's AD initially negotiated Petrino's deal last year he put in a buy out clause of $1.3 million which may not sound like a lot but he was only being paid a salary around $800K for the season. So basically for one season of football Western Kentucky got a new look, an 8-4 record, a move to a new conference, and half a million dollars of Looserville's money, not bad!

Yeah, we might be getting a home and home out of it as well which would be huge for our program. We had a 4 year contact with Kentucky (that expired this year, don't think they're gonna renew after we beat em 2 straight!) but Western played our home games in Nashville at LP Field so it wasn't really a true home and home. Getting Louisville in our house would be great.

^Agreed. Kiffin's specialty is "pro set" stuff, and aside from a few terrible tendencies (bubble screens and obvious off tackle runs when certain players are subbed in/out), his play calling is pretty good. Didn't use the tight ends a lot his last few years at USC, but I think that was more because he wanted the ball forced to his star receivers instead.

^ I think he just wants to add more pace to the offense, not necessarily change his offensive philosophy. Saban wants to implement some of the hurry-up, because he's afraid they won't be able to score quickly enough keep up with offenses like Texas A&M, Auburn, and Ole Miss in the coming years. I don't think they're going to change what they do at Bama, just add more pace.

Speaking of Kiffin, Bama plays at Tennessee next year. I wonder how much the fans and media will blow that game out of proportion?

Hiring Lane Kiffin is definitely not going to help him with any of that. Lane Kiffin is very much a pro-set offense guy. What he brings to Alabama is better utilizing talent within those sets to get favorable matchups. While he was the OC at USC, he was able to use Tight Ends, Running Backs, and Fullbacks to create mismatches. But no-huddle/hurry up stuff was never a staple of any offense he was associated with.

Sounds like the players at Texas are in for a culture shock.....

Seems like a lot of these things are kind of "un-written" rules that everyone on a team just naturally abides by, kind of makes you wonder what the culture of the program has been like for the last couple of years.

The living off campus one is probably the harshest one. Most college football players who live off campus do so in order to pocket the housing stipend (either their parents pay or they find a cheap place and pocket the difference).

Looks like Alabama may have found there next QB in Jameis Winston's former back-up QB. Jacob Coker is transferring to Alabama and his former QB coach at Florida St had some high praise for the QB.

"I've never had anybody with his size who throws it as well as he does."

"Jake has a really quick release with tremendous arm strength. Rarely does it not spiral or not go where he wants it to go."

Asked if Coker's arm is even better than Winston, the resident Heisman winner, Sanders paused for a few breaths before saying, "Coker's arm is kind of at a different level. Jameis has a very special arm, and this isn't any knock against Jameis, but Jake's probably the best I've seen in 25 years at throwing it."

He's a redshirt sophomore, but he's eligible to play right away because he's going to graduate this spring. My only question is, if he's as good as the Florida St QB coach says he is, why did he loose the job to Winston over the summer?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10333856/sources-qb-jacob-coker-expected-enroll-alabama-crimson-tide-being-released-scholarship-florida-state-seminoles

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/bruce-feldman/24402411/the-rise-of-florida-state-backup-jacob-coker-a-very-hot-commodity

• 2 weeks later...

Not that it really matters because I think these recruiting rankings and signing antics and all have kind of gotten out of control lately, but based on Rivals.com rankings Alabama had more 5 star recruits (6) than the Big 12, Big 10, and Pac 12 combined.....

It is absurd how many recruiting websites there are now. I prefer 247sports, but man…it's out of control! I somewhat enjoy all these HS kids messing around and having fun with their recruitment process, since it is a little creepy so many grown men are trying to follow their every move just to know where they are going to college.

As for me? I'm stoked about USC's class. Filled every need on the team. AND UCLA got shutout big time on signing day.