TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

I think they're getting better at predicting who some of the top players are, but putting together a list of 300 players and saying they're the best 300 players in the country is a little outrageous. To me, it's about what coaching staff is good at taking the players they get and developing them into their full potential. I always think of Boise St and former coach Chris Peterson. They never got the ranked players, but they were great at finding kids who were overlooked and developed them to their full potential. Right now, Michigan St and Mark Dantonio seem to be really good at doing that.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10446740/new-ncaa-football-rule-allow-early-subs-defense

Anybody see this new proposed rule that won't allow offenses to snap the ball until there is 29 seconds on the clock? This will allow the defense to substitute players as they wish. If the offense snaps the ball before 29 seconds, they get a 5 yard delay of game penalty. They seem to be hiding behind the player safety factor on this one to get the rule pushed through. This rule is strongly backed by Nick Saban, who can't seem to stop any no-huddle, hurry-up offense on defense.

First off, give me some evidence that supports this theory that no-huddle, hurry-up offenses increases injury risks for defensive players who can't get off the field fast enough. Secondly, I love how the majority of the complaints are coming from coaches who are too stubborn to change some of their philosophies to adapt to the style of today's college football. Get over it. Coaches figured out how to beat you, so maybe you should figure out how to beat them.

^If injuries were really a concern, they wouldn't have forced USC to play so short handed...so that's just a convenient excuse.

However, I do think there is some validity to the argument. Hurry up/no huddle offenses do rarely snap the ball that quick. They'll just get everyone lined up as quick as possible and wait at the line for the play call, which takes away the defenses ability to substitute. It's abusing a loophole in the rules. I think a better application of the rules would be that the penalty should apply if you line up quick and then DON'T snap the ball by the 25 second mark.

^If injuries were really a concern, they wouldn't have forced USC to play so short handed...so that's just a convenient excuse.

From what I have gathered, the only way the rule can go into effect this year it has to be classified as addressing player safety, otherwise it would have to wait until next year. The safety reasoning is BS, IMO. I like the theory behind the rule, but no way it passes.

However, I do think there is some validity to the argument. Hurry up/no huddle offenses do rarely snap the ball that quick.

Exactly. I saw a tweet from ESPN's Brett McMurphy today that said Oklahoma would have been penalized 6 times vs Alabama had this rule been in place, out of 76 plays they ran (only 7.9% of plays). It makes me wonder if they should instead go back to only utilizing a 25 second clock like pre 2007 or so.

It's abusing a loophole in the rules.

That's how I feel about it.

This rule is strongly backed by Nick Saban, who can't seem to stop any no-huddle, hurry-up offense on defense.
*Bama fan disclaimer* That's not really true at all. Alabama held HUNH Ole Miss to 205 yards and 0 points this year. If you take out the 109 yard missed field goal return at the end of the Iron Bowl, Alabama held Auburn to their third lowest point total of the season. Yes they had some issues with Texas A&M, but after Bama scored to go up 21-14 in the second quarter, A&M never got the ball with the chance to take the lead, and trailed 35-14 at one point after starting 14-0. Most of Bama's problems this year were not really because of the no huddle, it was their unexperienced secondary. Outside of Ha-Ha Clinton Dix, Vinnie Sunseri was the only experienced guy, and he tore his ACL against Arkansas. As a coaches son he had the heart and brains, he's just limited by he physical ability.

I find it funny how some of the offensive coaches are mad at Saban for this rule, when many of them proposed things like the "Saban Rule" that prevents head coaches from visiting high school prospects at their schools in the spring simply because they wanted to be able to have more time off without possibly losing recruits to a coach willing to out work them.

I like your rule a lot better than the one being proposed, but the coaches who run the offense will have a problem with it as well. They won't have the ability to audible if they don't like the defense they're seeing.

But why should the offense be the only one with an advantage? Almost every rule change the past few decades has been to benefit offense, so it's nice to see one potentially help defenses. College football hasn't gotten as bad as the NFL (defense wise) yet, so hopefully the

My real issue with the hurry up has nothing to do with the players. It's the officials. They cannot keep up with the pace and it has a direct effect on the game. I have seen numerous times where they are not in place because the ball was spotted for play before all officials were in place and miss easy calls like illegal shifts/formations, ineligible man down field, etc.. I've also seen teams try to slip their offensive substitutions while the officials are running to spot the ball at their speed, hoping the won't notice and allow the defense to also sub. Gus Malzhan did it a couple of time in the Iron Bowl where he was yelling at the officials for standing over the ball to allow Bama to sub on defense instead of letting his team snap it, even though the rule is they have to allow the defense sub if the offense subs. The Big 12 experimented with adding an extra official this year, and his responsibility was only to mark the ball for play so the other officials could get in the correct place before the snap. I would like to see how the conference felt that turned out and see if it should be expanded to all FBS conferences this year.

Short version: It won't pass, but they need to do something to help officials adjust to the hurry up.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

^Well, we know for sure it will not look the same by the end of the year (at least the top 5).

All four of the SEC West teams in the top 6 still have to play two of the other top 6 SEC West opponents. It's going to be crazy to see what 1 loss team can sneak into the top 4 and which of those SEC West teams can survive. Georgia still has a shot to sneak in there if they win out and win the the Championship game.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the new playoff system, but I don't think 2 teams from the same division (not conference) should be allowed in. Alabama and Mississippi State shouldn't both be allowed in, because the SEC West teams will have all played each other and determined a champion. Should be a fun couple of weeks to end the season!

Unless the bowls agree to let the first round games be held on campuses (and not be part of the bowl system) I think an eight game playoff will rip the heart out of game. And by the heart I mean the hardcore fans. I love college football because of the passion of the fans. Having to make fans potentially travel three times will be fine for the top level booster, the rich guys. But the spirit of the lives with the younger and more energetic fans, and the are going to have to pick and choose the game they go to.

I just fear the live audience will become corporate and not as passionate.

Most conferences can't even get their stands filled for their Conference Championship game.

^I think as long as you kept the first round game within the region, fans would still travel to at least 1 of the 3 games.

The major bowl games are already tailored to the sponsors and big boosters as it is. The regular fan is on the bottom of the totem pole for schools ticket allotments AND face values creep higher and higher every year (The last Rose Bowl I went to the face value had creeped up to $145).

It's going to be another wild offseason on the coaching carousel...

Three major programs already looking for head coaches in Nebraska, Michigan, and Florida. That's going to cause another domino effect as those schools poach from elsewhere.

^I think as long as you kept the first round game within the region, fans would still travel to at least 1 of the 3 games.

Makes sense except for the fact that the bowl sites are clustered in warm weather climates. Works well as long as the contenders are warm weather teams.

^There's already a bowl game at Yankee Stadium and Ford Field...really the biggest hole is the northwest.

But I imagine that if they went to a regional playoff system, you would see something like what is already in place with the basketball tournament and sites/bowls would bid to host the first round game and championship game (the semi finals are set on a rotation amongst the 6 biggest bowls).

• 2 weeks later...

Been awhile since I posted on this thread, but here are some my thoughts as the bowl season gets ready to start.

I think there will eventually be a 8 team playoff as well. As for now, I like the four team playoff, although, I wasn't that big of a fan of the four the committee chose. I feel as though they didn't show any consistency in their rankings for at least the final two weeks they released the rankings. I don't understand how TCU drops from 3 to 6 when they won their final game by 45. I can sort of understand why they got jumped by Ohio State, but then again, Wisconsin was completely one denominational and their defense wasn't as great as the numbers indicated. I really don't understand Baylor jumping them, as they didn't really show anything against Kansas State to show that they deserved to jump them. The committee said that is was because of head to head, but why didn't that matter in previous weeks when TCU was ahead of Baylor in the rankings? Obviously, the lack of conference championship game hurt the Big 12, it'll be interesting to see if the conference tries to add more teams or if they can figure out an alternative way to work a conference championship game into the schedule.

As for the coaching carousel, it should be interesting to see who Michigan hires, as it looks like Jim Harbaugh wants to stay in the NFL. I feel as though Auburn made the hire of the year in Will Muschamp as their defensive coordinator. This Auburn-Alabama rivalry is going to be fun to watch for the next couple of years. Oh and what in the world is going on at Wisconsin? That should be a top job, but how do you loose your head coach to Oregon State?

• 3 weeks later...

A championship game without the SEC? Who would have guessed that when you take a computer system created by the former SEC commissioner out of the equation a team besides the SEC champion is playing in the title game?

Seriously though, I'm glad we have the playoffs now. The parity that has been there all along will finally be able to be shown.