TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

I wonder if some school will give Coach O a chance to be a head coach? No matter where he goes, he probably won't make as much money as he would've at SC. Apparently Pat Haden offered to make him one of the highest paid assistants in college football.

I know Haden wanted to hire someone quickly so they could get a head start on recruiting. I wonder how much that played into his decision to hire Steve Sarkisian, instead of waiting on a big name coach from the NFL?

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Sark recruits southern california well and actually adapts on offense. An NFL coach comes with the questions of "can he recruit? can he adapt to the college game?"

I'd like to think as a bias USC fan, this is akin to Saban making the jump from MSU to LSU…Sark managed to make a terrible UDub program an above average program again, just like Saban was turning the corner at MSU before he left.

^I loved what he did to save this season, but the UCLA game proved his ultimate downfall: being an emotional leader only takes you so far. No adjustments on defense and predictability on offense. He got completely schooled from an X's and O's standpoint. The only way it would have worked with him is to pay the best DC and OC in the country to cover for his strategic weakness, but that's not really feasible since they'd jump ship for a head coaching job after a few years.

I should also add that insiders to the program are reporting that Sark was the only candidate they were legitimately interested in. This may have been a done deal a month ago if the person is to be believed.

Edited by Jew

Coach O brought to SC to salvage this season, the UCLA game showed his deficiency: he's not an X's an O's guy and got completely out coached by Jim Mora and made no adjustments.

^^This is exactly why they didn't bring him back. They would've had to assemble an all-star coaching staff around him for SC to be successful.

I'd like to think as a bias USC fan, this is akin to Saban making the jump from MSU to LSU…Sark managed to make a terrible UDub program an above average program again, just like Saban was turning the corner at MSU before he left.

I think you could use another LSU example with Les Miles. Started to turn the corner at Okie ST then jumped ship for a much better LSU program that Saban left behind. Of course SC is not in the kind of shape that LSU was in when Miles took over.

Speaking of Miles, he is one of my favorite coaching personalities out there, but I have to wonder if this is going to have any effect on him? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130910/osu-introduction/

^I think Miles was a little different. Saban built LSU into a national power and handed him the keys.

I feel like Mora Jr. to Washington would be a huge move. I consider Washington a better program than UCLA, and now that Mora has built up relationships he'll be able to get top talent to go to Seattle. I've never understood why UCLA isn't a great football program, but they've just never reached their potential. Washington was a dominant program when I was growing up, and I think they're on their way back. I still think Husky Stadium is one of the toughest places to play in. That place gets LOUD.

*Edit - I realize UCLA is a basketball school, but I don't see why they couldn't also have a better football program.

Being the bias USC fan that I am, it is worth noting that Jim Mora has the same amount of wins in his first two years as Lane Kiffin did at USC. Lane Kiffin actually beat Oregon @ Oregon and UCLA 2 times in a row as well. So while I agree that he has taken a down in the dumps UCLA program back to respectability, he has yet to win a big game outside of the rivalry game. Lost his first bowl game and hasn't yet won a game against the current elite teams of the PAC-12 (sadly, USC isn't elite right now---thank you NCAA). It will be very interesting to see how he does when USC isn't handcuffed by the terrible NCAA sanctions, since UCLA currently gets a giant recruiting advantage having more scholarships available to offer.

That being said, I think if UCLA has another 9 or 10 win season, he's bolting to the NFL.

Regarding Sark---he definitely made a good first impression on the team, media, and recruits. So I'm a little more optimistic than I was before, but still not totally sold. If he can get the majority of the draft eligible juniors to stay, plus a solid recruiting class---talent is there to win right away.

Edited by Jew

<>

Just wanted to hear everyone's view on the HUGE game this Saturday at 8:17pm EST!

Hopefully the Spartans can upset the Buckeyes, guaranteeing them the Rose Bowl and upsetting OSU's title run?

#1 Defense (MSU) vs #1 Offense (OSU) ...

My alma matter smells Roses and I'd also love to screw work to travel for a once in a lifetime journey if we don't get back there for a long time!

We deserve it - we are always underrated... 8-0 in conference wins all by freakin double digits! Only loss to ND (when our offense sucked) by 4 pts because of terrible pass interference calls.

Like Okie St, Michigan St has quietly had a very impressive season. I feel both schools have probably gotten a little shafted in the polls, but that's another argument. I would really like to see Michigan St get to the Rose Bowl. I think them and Stanford would make the 100th Rose Bowl a very entertaining game. Of course, Arizona St could pull of the upset. Stanford has been inconsistent with their performance this year.

So let me get this straight, Chris Peterson turns down the USC job, but accepts the Washington job?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10088337/washington-huskies-hire-chris-petersen-boise-state-broncos

Also, I saw a tweet about Lane Kiffin possibly becoming Florida's new OC.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

^"Insiders" are saying Sark was the guy all along. Petersen "turning down" USC was more just a formality for both sides to save face. Supposedly his family wasn't on board with moving to LA, so Washington makes a bit more sense.

As far as Kiffin goes? Being an offensive coordinator is what he is best at.

I think what is funny is how the "mighty" sec with its "tough" defenses has been caught so off guard with fast pace offenses/mobile qb's. Not as easy to stop without a month to prep for it.

Fsu/auburn is sure to be another shoutout.

Hell yes! To the Rose Bowl we go!

A perfect record in the Big Ten. Also a new record that will be very hard to beat - when will the next Big Ten team win all in-conference games and win them by double digit's?

It's a great day to be a Spartan.

Anyone in Cali want to be my host family for a day or two?

I think what is funny is how the "mighty" sec with its "tough" defenses has been caught so off guard with fast pace offenses/mobile qb's.

It amazes me that Auburn's offense is the same concept of a traditional wishbone high school offense. These SEC defenses are finding out that playing assignment football is harder at the FBS level than the FCS level. Maybe they'll finally start scheduling some FBS non-conference opponents who run these types of offenses, so they'll be better prepared when it come to conference play.

Not as easy to stop without a month to prep for it.

I've always thought that this new playoff system that is coming next year would end Alabama's dominance of college football. I believe that there is only a week or two between the playoff and the championship. Saban won't have a month to memorize and scheme for every play the opposing team is going to run.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

Crazy weekend in college football with the Ohio State upset obviously being the star of the show. I'm really looking forward to the Auburn vs FSU game, should be a great matchup. It's kind of funny to me that two schools located less than 200 miles apart have to fly 2,000 miles across the country to play each other. I bet the line opens with FSU as a 3.5 to 4 point favorite, but I like Auburn. Florida State is a great team but I really think that playing huge games week in and week out like Auburn does in the SEC really prepares you for games like this. The one thing FSU really hasn't seen all year is any kind of adversity so it will be interesting to see how they respond when they play someone who can actually punch back (no offense ACC).

We'll see what happens after the selection show tonight but it looks like my Toppers might get left out in the cold again. We are at 8-4 but 3rd in a conference with only 2 automatic bids. Someone else from a bigger conference will have to decline a bid or get passed over entirely for us to compete in the post season. It sucks but that's what happens when you play in the Sunbelt. We'll be in Conference USA next year so hopefully that will mean a better chance at an automatic bid on a regular basis.