TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Yeah haha, I was pretty impressed with Stanford. I had watched them play a few games this year and knew they were good but they look great against Oregon. Kind of disappointing that they lost to Utah, they could have been a real title game contender.

I heard that Mariota had a partially torn MCL going into the game with Stanford that Oregon never reported. Don't know what kind of difference he would have made at full speed but the whole thing does feel a bit "tainted" I guess. For what it's worth it is pretty amazing Oregon even scored 20 given that the only had the ball for about 15 minutes in that game!

Bama is still really good, LSU is physical and athletic and talented and Bama still completely dominated them.

Stanford basically punched Oregon in the gut and they had no idea how to respond. No adjustments on offense or defense (how many times did they do the power rush formation??). I guess they got what they deserved for D'anthony Thomas saying they would hang 40 on Oregon...

Now it's time for USC to return the favor to Stanford for all those recent losses and upsets...

^Yeah haha, I was pretty impressed with Stanford. I had watched them play a few games this year and knew they were good but they look great against Oregon. Kind of disappointing that they lost to Utah, they could have been a real title game contender.

I heard that Mariota had a partially torn MCL going into the game with Stanford that Oregon never reported. Don't know what kind of difference he would have made at full speed but the whole thing does feel a bit "tainted" I guess. For what it's worth it is pretty amazing Oregon even scored 20 given that the only had the ball for about 15 minutes in that game!

Bama is still really good, LSU is physical and athletic and talented and Bama still completely dominated them.

I would say Stanford is still a contender. IMO, they're better than Ohio State, even with the loss to Utah, it was just a bad game. They play a much tougher schedule than them, so I wouldn't be surprised it Stanford ends up at 3 in the BCS, crazier things have happened. So then all they need is for Alabama or FSU to slip and they're in the Nat'l Championship.

I would say Stanford is still a contender. IMO, they're better than Ohio State, even with the loss to Utah, it was just a bad game. They play a much tougher schedule than them, so I wouldn't be surprised it Stanford ends up at 3 in the BCS, crazier things have happened. So then all they need is for Alabama or FSU to slip and they're in the Nat'l Championship.

But it doesn't work that way. A loss to an unranked team is a big negative in the BCS polls.

^That hurts in the computers, but the human polls used will knock a late season loss more.

Of course, if FSU loses it will also be to an unranked team, so that would eliminate them. If Alabama loses to Auburn, then wins the SEC championship game...they're still in as a 1-loss team over Stanford and possibly Ohio State because of their weak schedule.

But Stanford is going to lose to USC, so it won't matter (or so I'd like to think!)...

But it doesn't work that way. A loss to an unranked team is a big negative in the BCS polls.

If I remember correctly, Stanford is number 3 in the computer rankings, but 5 in both human polls. IMO, they should be ahead of Baylor, they've never really had a test, they played Oklahoma, but they're not that good.

I am just extremely happy for my Spartans - both football and basketball, what a great combination. Yeah, this is a FB thread so I won't go off on a tangent about the #1+2 game the other night.

I surely enjoyed the great lashing of the Wolverines recently. They didn't know what hit them with our outstanding defense - Anyone else agree?

Now we have a battle with Nebraska tomorrow...

I am just extremely happy for my Spartans - both football and basketball, what a great combination. Yeah, this is a FB thread so I won't go off on a tangent about the #1+2 game the other night.

Enjoy it while you can Sparty, once March rolls around I got a feeling my Wildcats are going to be tough to be beat!

I've always thought your coach, Dantonio, is pretty underrated in the world of college coaching and I'm surprised his name doesn't pop up more often for some of these big openings.

Enjoy it while you can Sparty, once March rolls around I got a feeling my Wildcats are going to be tough to be beat!

Hahaha! I'm sure your team will definitely will stay up in the Top 10 - As Izzo said after we won that game, "I keep reiterating: They're going to get a lot better," Izzo said. "But I honestly believe so will we."

Every 4 year player for MSU under Tom Izzo has made it to at least a Final Four - can't say that about any other team. This year is going to be tough, and I'll keep an eye on your Wildcats.

I've always thought your coach, Dantonio, is pretty underrated in the world of college coaching and I'm surprised his name doesn't pop up more often for some of these big openings.

Thank you! He is very underrated...mainly because we are hiding behind all the 'glory' of UM and OSU. We need to work on our Offense a bit more and then we have what it takes to win out in the Big 10 and most likely we will see OSU at the Big 10 Championship (since they have such a ridiculously easy schedule).

I've been impressed with MSU the last few weeks. Saw them in person when they came to Iowa City at the start of October. That defense is just nasty. I don't think MSU is getting enough respect nationally. Since Cook took over, their offense has been a lot better. Your only loss had a lot of terrible calls go against you, but you probably already knew that. Hoping you guys stick it to Nebraska tomorrow. I hate the Cornhuskers.

I've been impressed with MSU the last few weeks. Saw them in person when they came to Iowa City at the start of October. That defense is just nasty. I don't think MSU is getting enough respect nationally. Since Cook took over, their offense has been a lot better. Your only loss had a lot of terrible calls go against you, but you probably already knew that. Hoping you guys stick it to Nebraska tomorrow. I hate the Cornhuskers.

Glad you noticed the D. Also glad you agreed - finally we beat Nebraska! It feels so good. Sucks still about all those crappy calls at the ND which ultimately gave them the win. With a single loss it's like no one notices our team! We still have the #1 defense in the NCAA...

^That hurts in the computers, but the human polls used will knock a late season loss more.

Of course, if FSU loses it will also be to an unranked team, so that would eliminate them. If Alabama loses to Auburn, then wins the SEC championship game...they're still in as a 1-loss team over Stanford and possibly Ohio State because of their weak schedule.

But Stanford is going to lose to USC, so it won't matter (or so I'd like to think!)...

Told you so!!! Fight On!!! Suck it, trees!

^Haha, I was wondering when we were going to hear from the forums's favorite Trojan alum on that victory. So what does this do for USC's bowl picture? Are they going to play for the Pac-12 title? That would be something if they fire Kiffin after week 3 and still find a way to play in the Rose Bowl.

There is an awful lot of good football left to be played in these last 3 weeks of the season. Texas A&M plays LSU and Missouri back to back to end their season. I have a feeling that if A&M takes care of business against LSU then the winner of that A&M Missouri game will be the second SEC team in the BCS (unless Missouri upsets Bama).

And Bama will have to play back to back games against top 10 teams at Auburn and then Missouri for the SEC title if they get past Auburn. That schedule at the beginning of the season didn't look so tough, but a lot can change in 12 weeks!

Baylor plays Oklahoma State, TCU, and Texas to end their season, not sure what they do in the rankings if they win those 3 games decisively. Will they jump Ohio State? Quite possibly.

While Florida State has been killing everyone don't look past Florida to pull a huge upset in the Swamp. I think both of these teams are different animals than they were a year ago, but a win to spoil FSU's national title dreams the last week of the season would be a silver lining in Florida's otherwise dreadful season. I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Looking at the bowl projections, even if Auburn loses to Bama, they still have the upper hand in getting to the Sugar Bowl over A&M. Bama would have to beat the SEC East champion for this happen though. I have serious doubts that Missouri will win out playing Ole Miss and A&M. So it looks like Bama will be playing South Carolina in Atlanta.

^^ASU controls the PAC-12 South at the moment. They need to lose both their games (very possible with UCLA and their rivalry game with UoA) and USC needs to win out in order for USC to win the South and play Oregon in the championship game.

But...it might be better if USC and ASU win out: USC only needs to be in the top-14 to get a BCS bid, so a bowl game might be tempted to take them after ASU most likely loses to Oregon in the championship game.

Well, Oregon players talked about how the Rose Bowl was no big deal….

Manziel's Heisman repeat chances just disappeared too...

I think it is also safe to say Wil Muschamp will be looking for a job real soon...

Oklahoma State got the big win over Baylor and ASU clinched the PAC-12 South (stupid UCLA! )

Yeah it's hard to give the Heisman to a guy whose team has 3 losses but Manziel has been ballin this year, except for that LSU game. He's great but his defense is terrible. I't's funny that in two years LSU has been pretty much the only team to really slow him down, at all. Kind of surprising no one else has been able to mimic their game plan, but then again not everyone has LSU's talent. Note to self, for the future never bet against LSU at home, ever.

The Auburn vs Alabama game next weekend is going to be a gigantic match up, there's nothing like a rivalry game with national title implications.

And thanks a lot USC, nice win, but how about ya don't give up 22 fourth quarter points next time. That back door cover by Colorado really screwed me over!

Looks like weather is going to start being a factor for games in the midwest. Going to the Iowa/Michigan game tomorrow. Wind chill expected to be around 5 degrees. That should be awful to sit in for 3 1/2 hours!

Even though it did look really cold, your team did great and I'm guessing you had fun with a win at home. Sure was great watching UM lose while MSU won with a chance to the Rose Bowl. Freakin Ohio State needs to lose now.

Looks like weather is going to start being a factor for games in the midwest. Going to the Iowa/Michigan game tomorrow. Wind chill expected to be around 5 degrees. That should be awful to sit in for 3 1/2 hours!

Even though it did look really cold, your team did great and I'm guessing you had fun with a win at home. Sure was great watching UM lose while MSU won with a chance to the Rose Bowl. Freakin Ohio State needs to lose now.

It was REALLY cold! They said it was around 13 degrees with wind chill, but it felt colder where we were sitting (no sun). At kick off, it was the coldest game ever played at Kinnick Stadium. It was well worth sitting through it to watch them comeback from a 21-7 deficit. I predicted that Iowa would be 4-8 again, or worse. Can't believe they're sitting at 7-4 right now, with the 4 losses coming against teams with a combined record of 41-3. They play hard every week, and that's all I can ask for. It's been a fun season.