TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Darrell Hazell brings the Boilermakers to the top of the Big 10 with his experience from Ohio State and Kent State. But with the ultra tough schedule except for Indiana State, I don't see much of successful season, but this is isn't Danny Nope anymore, so we could win more of those clutch games. Rob Henry hopefully lights it up at starting QB this year with a now single QB system, a blessing.

Here's the schedule, and why I say it's so tough.

Saturday

Aug. 31 Bearcats at Cincinnati Bearcats

Nippert Stadium, Cincinnati, OH 12:00 p.m. ET

ESPNU

Saturday

Sept. 7 Sycamores Indiana State Sycamores

Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN 12:00 p.m. ET

BTN/BTN2Go

Saturday

Sept. 14 Fighting Irish Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN 8:00 p.m. ET

ABC/ESPN/2

Saturday

Sept. 21 Badgers at Wisconsin Badgers

Camp Randall Stadium, Madison, WI TBA

Saturday

Sept. 28 Huskies Northern Illinois Huskies (HC)

Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN 12:00 p.m. ET

TV TBA

Saturday

Oct. 5 --- Open Date --- ---

Saturday

Oct. 12 Cornhuskers Nebraska Cornhuskers

Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN TBA

Oct. 19 Spartans at Michigan State Spartans

Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI TBA

Saturday

Oct. 26 --- Open Date --- ---

Saturday

Nov. 2 Buckeyes Ohio State Buckeyes

Saturday

Nov. 9 Hawkeyes Iowa Hawkeyes

Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN TB

Saturday

Nov. 16 Nittany Lions at Penn State Nittany Lions

Beaver Stadium, University Park, PA TBA

Saturday

Nov. 23 Fighting Illini Illinois Fighting Illini

Saturday

Nov. 30 Hoosiers at Indiana Hoosiers

Memorial Stadium, Bloomington, IN

Hi everyone. Thought I'd join in on the college football talk this season. I'm a huge Iowa Hawkeye fan, but since they're going to be terrible again this season it might be interesting to discuss football with other fans around the country. The Hawkeye message boards are just depressing at this point. Can't wait for tomorrow night! 3 days and counting until Iowa kicks off against Northern Illinois.

1785842725_KinnickNight.jpg.9deab42a04c35cbc5764467d8e15e018.jpg

Kinnick, my 2nd home

^That's an awesome picture of Kinnick Stadium.

So Manziel gets a half game suspension, eh no big deal. Who knows if he really took money or not, I don't think he's that dumb, but regardless I'm glad the kid will be on the field against Alabama week 3!

^I don't think he is that dumb, but that best friend/assistant guy of his...This just reeks of Cam Newton all over again. Found a grey area to survive a major suspension.

It's funny how the brokers will freely talk to ESPN (one even showed video of him signing), but won't talk to the NCAA. Just makes me even more upset Reggie Bush didn't just pay the asshole guy who went to the NCAA off (he only settled with one of the two guys)...

The whole thing is laughable. If no evidence of wrong-doing was found, then why the suspension in the first place?

I was thinking about that as well. The fact that they did suspend him for a portion of a game might mean that there is some sort evidence to support that he did somehow violate NCAA rules, maybe not to the extreme extent that he would be indefinitely suspended, but he probably did something wrong. However, with the amount of criticism that the NCAA has received recently it is probably in everyone's best interest that that the handle it privately and with a minimum suspension.

I mean think about it, if they did sit him for the whole season and the evidence was questionable, Texas A&M and the SEC might have gone absolutely ballistic on the NCAA especially if the ruling wasn't consistent with preceding rulings over a similar events ( ie Ohio State).

If there's one thing the NCAA loves it's money, and with Manziel on the field week 3 against Alabama there will be more of it for everyone than there would be if he were sitting at home, simple as that in my opinion.

I don't think there is any question he (or one of his buddies just leeching off of him) took money for those autograph signings. The problem for the NCAA was that none of them would talk to anyone but the press. So the NCAA technically had nothing. Which of course led them to the ridiculous suspension of 1/2 a game against a team no one cares about. Either go all in and continue to pretend to be tough with no consistency whatsoever, or do nothing at all.

But yes, it does all come down to the money---hence Ohio State players being able to play in the Sugar Bowl, Cam Newton getting no punishment because "he didn't know what was going on," Julio Jones and Mark Ingram's fishing trip, no ruling on the Oregon/Will Lyles situation yet, and so on...The NCAA does whatever it wants with no rhyme or reason to any of it.

USC's former running backs coach sued the NCAA for the show cause order they placed on him (they made the ridiculous claim that he was told over the phone that Reggie Bush was getting paid and their only evidence was one 2 minute call from phone records and a photoshopped picture of Todd McNair with the guy who made the accusation), and the judge ruled there was more than enough evidence to go to trial. Naturally the NCAA is fighting to keep those court records sealed. Wonder why?

Edited by Jew

Yeah, you know I truly believe that the NCAA plays favorites and they have programs they want to penalize harder than others (USC is certainly one of them). I don't think Texas A&M is on their "hit list" so they handled this quickly and quietly. How else can you explain other investigations that have taken several months (Enes Kanter @ Kentucky) or even years (Miami) to be unresolved or resolved with no level of consistency with previous cases, yet with Manziel as a high profile star they complete their investigation and settle in a matter of a few weeks conveniently 4 days before the season starts....yeah ok.

Anyways, season starts tonight with North Carolina and South Carolina being the marquee match up. Bad news for North Carolina but it looks like the weather in Columbia is going to be Clowney with a chance of pain...........

^Exactly. It's too bad Mark Cuban is probably all just talk when it comes to creating a new sanctioning body for college athletics. The NCAA has outgrown its purpose of "protecting" student athletes.

My Hilltoppers are looking to start the season 2-0 in the SEC this weekend when they travel to Knoxville to take on the Tennessee Volunteer. This video is appropria...

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

That orange is definitley not that kind of orange you can sit with

Yeah, for Western that was honestly the weirdest half of football I've ever seen in my life. Western had 5 turnovers on 5 consecutive plays in the 1st quarter including two pick 6's. I've never seen anything like it, it was beyond video game crazy.

Yeah, USC, I don't even know what to say, Kiffin has to go. I really don't know why you let him finish the season at this point.

As bad as Kiffin is, the under achiever of the week award goes to Texas who lost by 20 to BYU! The Mack Brown era needs to come to an end sometime soon, they've been under achieving with top talent for a long time now.

Speaking of under achieving, nice win for Miami over Florida. Florida has way to much talent to be as average as they are. They;re just not very good offensively and defensively they're very undisciplined and bland and get by with a lot of stuff because they're just that much more talented. I would't be surprised if they go 8-4 or 7-5 this year with a loss to a Tennessee or Ole Miss or someone like that.

Yeah, for Western that was honestly the weirdest half of football I've ever seen in my life. Western had 5 turnovers on 5 consecutive plays in the 1st quarter including two pick 6's. I've never seen anything like it, it was beyond video game crazy.

That was a pretty strange game. Leaving out the craziness of the first quarter, Tennessee's defense just doesn't have enough talent and depth to win too many more games this year. The 3rd and long problems didn't leave with Sunseri. Next week will certainly be hard to watch, but the Florida game at least doesn't look like a blow out now. Of course, Florida always seems to play their best game of the year against Tennessee, so I am not counting on nearly as many turnovers to work with.

Yeah, USC, I don't even know what to say, Kiffin has to go. I really don't know why you let him finish the season at this point.As bad as Kiffin is, the under achiever of the week award goes to Texas who lost by 20 to BYU! The Mack Brown era needs to come to an end sometime soon, they've been under achieving with top talent for a long time now.

Coming from somebody who is a USC fan, I couldn't agree more. If you're going to let Kiffin finish out the season, at least strip him of his play calling duties. His offense has never had a really good flow and never puts together consistent drives. I'm hoping this Chip Kelly NFL experiment doesn't workout and USC pulls a Alabama and hires their rival's former coach.

As for Texas, they have all the money in the world, top recruits, top facilities, and ext. There is no excuse for them being this mediocre since Colt McCoy left. I think it's time to bring in a new face, it would probably help revitalize the program. I personally would like to see them hire James Franklin from Vandy. He seems like the type of guy who could handle the pressure of being the coach at Texas, plus he's one hell of a coach.

^James Franklin better hope his name doesn't get implicated in that Vanderbilt rape scandal or he will not be coaching anywhere after this season. Reports are surfacing that he knew about it and tried to cover it up.

Speaking of, if this was anywhere else in the SEC, this case would be plastered all over ESPN.

^Yeah, I remember hearing about that earlier this summer then have heard almost nothing about it ever since. I like Franklin, seems like a great coach and the kind of guy his players really want to play for so I hope he wasn't involved in this.

Chip Kelly back to USC? Interesting, I can't say that it's bad idea, but I think Kelly will be pretty successful in the NFL, at minimum he'll last more than 1 year which will be longer than USC can wait to hire a new coach haha.

Florida fans probably wish Muschamp would go back to Texas right about now....