TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both Tech this year and UCLA last year benefited from being in divisions with good teams under post-season bans

Let's just say that if Tech doesn't get a bowl and the extra practices to develop our freshman qb (not to mention break one of the longest active bowl appearance streaks), Miami may approach Clemson levels of hate (not quite UGA, mind you)

Sadly Joe---I can't really talk sh*t. I don't have any faith in USC's ability to stop that triple option offense. I would say a shootout is in order, since I don't think Tech could stop USC either!

So, wow. It is looking more and more likely that Jon Gruden will be the next coach at Tennessee. Rumors are that it will be announced Friday at 3:00 P.M. If it is not Gruden, it will likely be Charlie Strong. Gruden would be an absolute homerun hire on the caliber of Saban to Alabama. Time will tell if he gets a fraction of the same results.

^ Definitely a huge hire for Tennessee if they can pull it off, I still can't imagine why he would leave the awesome job he has now, although he probably has about 6 million good reasons why.

Somewhere on the back page of your sports section tomorrow you'll learn the The University of Kentucky has hired Mark Stoops, defensive coordinator from Florida State, to be their next head coach. Kentucky might be one of the more difficult programs in the country to succeed at, but we'll see how he does. Hopefully he has a solid recruiting pipeline in Florida, and if he can keep some of the talented kids from KY in KY then they may have a shot at being average in the SEC....

^LOL! I think Monte is pass his prime. I believe Rahim Morris is rumored to be the DC. We are also rumored to get Tee Martin from you guys.

I will have to see this to believe it, though because like Hilltopper39 said, is the allure of coaching college football enough to leave his cushy job? All I know is that a lot of donors as well as past football players (Manning including) are donating money for the cause and the university has returned 18 Million to the AD. They will not have a problem making the next coach the highest paid coach in college football.

Edited by ernierocker

He's definitely the big name they need to get some excitement back in the program. If he gets himself a great DC and experienced coaching staff to help recruit, his talent as an offensive coach could make things even more interesting in the SEC.

Implode as in North Carolina and Duke to the SEC, Florida State an Clemson to the Big 12, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech to the big 10? I'm already sick of re-alignment but it's far far far from over at this point.

Also, When You (Joey) wish upon a star.......Monte Kiffin to retire after bowl game... Joey's dreams have come true!

It's an early Chanukah miracle! No more soft zones!

As far as realignment goes...if all that happens, once again the PAC-12 gets left behind. There isn't much left on the west coast to add, and with the addition of two more strong schools, the BIG-XII can go back to having a title game and not fear being raided by the PAC-12. Notre Dame has to be forced to the B1G 10 at that point as well.

Yeah, Notre Dame is still kind of the interesting lone wolf in all of this realignment. They just signed a contract to play all of the sports in the ACC but play 5 games a year in football, so they are sort of loosely affiliated with the ACC at this point. I kind of think that the Big 10 is tired of waiting on Notre Dame at this point so they moved on to Rutgers and Maryland.

I still think the the ACC is going to slowly get absolved by the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and who ever is left will end up in the Big East. The Pac 12 is kind of in an interesting position because while there aren't really any "major" programs left out west geographically I don't think they really need to add any more teams to still be justified as one of the top 2 or 3 conferences in America. Where "this" whole realignment thing is going and whatever the landscape of college sports looks like in the next 4 years I think the Pac-12 will surely be a part of it.

I guess if the Pac 12 had to get to 16 teams they could add Boise State, BYU, San Diego State, and Nevada and they would still be a fairly legitimate conference, would probably still be better than the ACC/Big 10 at that point.

Well, no Gruden to Tennessee unless some miracle happens. I do know that the Vols AD was in Louisville today. Would assume that means he was interviewing Charlie Strong. I would honestly be happy with him as a coach. He definitely knows what SEC football is all about.

I guess if the Pac 12 had to get to 16 teams they could add Boise State, BYU, San Diego State, and Nevada and they would still be a fairly legitimate conference, would probably still be better than the ACC/Big 10 at that point.

Adding those teams would be more style over substance. They would add some competitive football teams to the conference, but they wouldn't add any competitive TV markets. I also don't think they would add much to the "non revenue" sports, something the PAC-12 seems to be big on.

One thing is for certain: We're headed towards 4 super conferences. PAC-12, SEC, B1G, and whatever comes together from the ACC/Big East/BIG-XII. Everyone else will be left to fight for their leftovers in terms of TV revenue and bowl arrangements.

Well it's Bowl Season, also known as 34 meaningless exhibition games and 1 Championship Season. This years bowl lineup might be the least exciting in a while, NIU without their head coach vs. Florida State? Louisville vs. Florida? Stanford vs. Wisconsin? Even the New Years Day Bowls are terrible, Michigan vs South Carolina? Georgia vs. Nebraska? The only two bowl games I have any interest in at all are the championship, and the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl which Western Kentucky somehow managed to backdoor their way into (Middle Tennessee and Louisiana Tech got completely screwed).

Bama vs. Notre Dame should a good game to watch and might end up being one of the highest rated college football games of all time, to bad we have to wait 35 days to see it!

Such a thrilling SEC Championship Game! I don't think my nerves are going to get calm again until tomorrow.

So it will be Alabama vs. Notre Dame in Miami.

There was a lot of screaming at the TV going on in our house! My husband threw over a chair, lol. But at least it's a more interesting game than just plowing over someone.

^A thrown chair during a sporing event is always a good thing in my book!

Some big news today on the coaching front, Arkansas hired Wisconsin head coach Brett Bielema and Auburn hired Arkansas State head coach Gus Malzhan. Honestly I didn't see the Bielema hire coming but it might turn out to be a good fit. Malzahan was at Auburn as the offensive coordinator during the Championship and put together a great season this year at Arkansas State, so he certainly has the tools to succeed but will that translate to the SEC?

So Tennessee seems to be the job that is still available, and with Gruden now out of the running seems like Charlie Strong is the new leading candidate.

^I think it will. See Texas A&M this year. And Auburn's undefeated year. And Florida in the Tebow years. A quality running QB/spread offense isn't what SEC teams are used to seeing. As I've said, a strong push up the middle from the front 7 neutralizes that (the SEC specialty), but it will take time for SEC teams to adjust to preparing for that in a week.

As a Badger fan, this was a pretty trying season, so of course I wasn't expecting much in the Big Ten Championship. Our offensive coordinator didn't seem to have one working neuron in his brain, our offensive line was unbearable to watch, and our quarterback situation was looking pretty dire.

What happens? Canada delves deep into the back of the playbook for whatever crazy plays he can find, our offensive line finally played like a Badger line should, and I had the most fun watching a Badger game I've had in a while.

And while people say how awful the Badgers were this year and that they're embarrassed to have a 5 loss team in the Rose Bowl, as bad as the Badgers looked (and boy at times did they look putrid), every loss was a very close game to a good team. If Canada keeps rolling out the wide variety of plays he did in the Big Ten Championship and our defense holds strong, the Badgers seem to have a very good shot of bringing home a Rose Bowl Victory and capping off a very strange year. Now if we could find a coach...

Oh, and Melvin Gordon. Get to know that name. Most likely you'll be hearing it more and more over the next couple of years.