TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

^You Florida fans never cease to amaze me, the Gators are 9-1 right now but everyone around here in Gator Country acts like this is the worst team in two decades and the season is already a failure! I mean yeah they kind of scrapped by against ULL (who is actually a pretty good team) but they have a cupcake this week then a huge game against FSU for a BCS bowl bid potentially maybe even a BCS championship! Sit back and smell the roses for a few more years before you wind up on probation and the season really is a waste .

Well I'm not one of those fans. I certainly don't feel this is the worst team in two decades and none of my Gator friends think the season is a failure, we love this over achieving team that doesn't give up. Was Florida even ranked pre-season, sounds like you are associating with some insane Florida fans with ridiculous expectations. I remember the Zook years. I also take nothing for granted as I was a student in the late 90's before Spurrier. All I said was we had an underperforming offense.

And Joey, I'll be rooting for the Men of Troy this weekend.

I apologize, I didn't really mean you individually I was just referring to a LOT of Florida fans around here that I work with and listen to on the local sports radio shows and some of my friends who are gator fans and the majority of them are as high as a kite when things are going good but are ready to fire Muschamp the second they don't beat ULL or Jacksonville State by 30. Especially this week going into the FSU game, listening to the Gator fans around here you'd think that they were a 20 point underdog or something. Yeah I think Florida State has the edge especially if Driskell is out but but I mean FSU is still FSU, and it's still a big rivalry game so anything can happen. I'll be pulling for the Gators this weekend.

The biggest problem, however, I think was returning to a policy of limiting tackling in practice to prevent injuries.

This is an interesting point, and I haven't been around a college practice for about 5 years but I'd venture to say that the majority of teams in America have limited contact in practice to prevent injury. When I was playing we would only do full live tackling drills or live tackling during 9-7 or full team for maybe for two periods on Tuesday and that's about it. I don't know what the rules are these days but with all of the injury awareness but I'd bet that teams are limited in the amount of full padded practice they are allowed to conduct during the season( or maybe it's tackling in practice is only against the rules in the Big 12).

And I'm pulling for USC to beat Notre Dame this weekend just because I want to see a complete chaos scenario with about 8 one-loss teams, but I wouldn't mind seeing Notre Dame vs. Alabama in the championship.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But assuming Oregon beats Oregon State and then UCLA, I think that will give them enough of a jump in the computers to be #2 vs the winner of the SEC title game.

You really think they would pass a 11-1 Florida team who would of just beaten a top 10, 1-loss Florida State team??? I put my money on Florida jumping to #2 (if Notre Dame loses of course).

I forgot to mention that Kiffin actually did an amazing job developing Jon Crompton in his one season at UT. Through the first 4 games and 3 quarters against Auburn, Crompton was a compete mess. By the end of the season, he was an above average QB.

But assuming Oregon beats Oregon State and then UCLA, I think that will give them enough of a jump in the computers to be #2 vs the winner of the SEC title game.

You really think they would pass a 11-1 Florida team who would of just beaten a top 10, 1-loss Florida State team??? I put my money on Florida jumping to #2 (if Notre Dame loses of course).

If ND loses to USC AND Florida loses to Florida State, then I think Oregon would be the 1-loss team that plays Alabama.

Also, is there any chance that Florida State jumps over some people if they beat Florida?

I don't think USC can win with Barkley out, so it looks like BCS Championship is going to be Notre Dame vs SEC Champion, but stranger things have happened.

^I just had this conversation with someone yesterday, and I don't know if he really lost that much. I mean if he would of had an amazing season this year he would probably be in consideration for the #1 overall pick, but even with a season as poor as he has had he will probably still go in the top 10-20. Last year with Luck, RG3, and Tannehill all going in the top 10 his draft spot this year might not be much different than it would of been last year. He might have gone in Tannehill's place last year, and this year he will probably still be the 2nd or 3rd (maybe even 1st) QB taken.

^Barkley wasn't going to go ahead of RGIII and Andrew Luck regardless, and with the NFL's new rookie salary scale, the money probably wasn't a big deal. His family is already rich anyways. He's not the typical NFL size for a QB, nor does he have the strongest arm. But despite what the numbers would tell you this season, he is a smart QB with a good pocket presence. As a USC fan, I'll always consider him one of the greatest, simply because he (and the other seniors) stayed through the sanctions and tried to make it right and give the NCAA a huge middle finger. Sucks it didn't work out and that his college career potentially ended with that hit, but him staying is what is great about college football.

I forgot to mention that Kiffin actually did an amazing job developing Jon Crompton in his one season at UT. Through the first 4 games and 3 quarters against Auburn, Crompton was a compete mess. By the end of the season, he was an above average QB.

I honestly don't know what to expect out of the BCS. Florida would certainly have a strong argument, but Oregon holds the trump card of a championship game. That's going to potentially add another quality win to their computer averages, and possibly even help in the human polls if they crush UCLA.

As far as Kiffin...that's the dilemma. Is he just a good OC/QB/WR coach and recruiter, or can he actually be a head coach? He's got the game vs ND, the crappy bowl game, and next season to prove it. Will he actually fire his dad? We he actually give up some control of the offense? Will he stop the stupid mind games? I'd like to think that this season has humbled him (one immediate noticeable change---he already declared Barkley out instead of playing that whole no comment game), as he clearly could not handle the pressure that came with being the preseason #1. If he can learn from it, he still has a bright future. Sticks to the same tendencies? Done for. I'm not giving up hope yet, as every single successful coach in the history of college football has had failures along the way. The key is whether or not he makes adjustments.

This is an interesting point, and I haven't been around a college practice for about 5 years but I'd venture to say that the majority of teams in America have limited contact in practice to prevent injury. When I was playing we would only do full live tackling drills or live tackling during 9-7 or full team for maybe for two periods on Tuesday and that's about it.

I believe USC does 1 full contact session each week. That's the biggest difference from this year to last IMO. Last year they had a normal practice schedule with more full contact sessions. You can DEFINITELY tell the difference. Injuries are going to happen, but you can't play scared in football. USC's depth is screwed either way because of the scholarship reductions, might as well go all in and hope for the best.

We'll see what adjustments are made.

Edited by Jew

^Yeah, I guess what I was trying to say was that I've noticed a lot of programs display really poor tackling over the past couple of years and I'm wondering if it maybe has something to do with a change in the practice rules. I know as a part of the new CBA the NFL has significantly limited the number of padded practices for the entire season down to like 12 total or something ridiculously low, and maybe the NCAA has implemented some kind of similar rule change that is leading to the poor technique.

Then again the elite programs with what most would consider elite coaches don't seem to struggle as much in that area, so maybe it has a lot to do with coaching.

His family is already rich anyways.

Living off mom and dad's money is one thing. Living off your own is another.

Good point about the rookie salary scale though. He probably didn't lose out on too much, but he'll still always wonder now. Either way, I agree with your views on him.

As for Kiffin, I really can't get a solid read on this guy. If he could ever leave his image and ego at home and focus on coaching, he might still have a shot at success, but I just don't think he has the "presence" of a top quality head coach at this point in time. Some guys are just destined to be great offensive or defensive minds in the booth....and that's it (Randy Shannon).

^I think the big draw is the TV Network. And the BIG 10's TV contract is up in 2017, so they'll get that back when it comes time to renegotiate.

Then again the elite programs with what most would consider elite coaches don't seem to struggle as much in that area, so maybe it has a lot to do with coaching.

As for Kiffin, I really can't get a solid read on this guy. If he could ever leave his image and ego at home and focus on coaching, he might still have a shot at success, but I just don't think he has the "presence" of a top quality head coach at this point in time. Some guys are just destined to be great offensive or defensive minds in the booth....and that's it (Randy Shannon).

It absolutely has to do with coaching. Goes back to what I was saying about the end of this season and next season being the turning point in his career. By all accounts, the players do really like him. And he is a great offensive coach, maybe sometimes too smart for his own good in that regard. But now he's running out of time to prove that can translate into being a head coach.

Double post, but oh well...It's the best week in college football: Rivalry week! Aside from the PAC-12 being stupid and moving "the big game" up, it's that wonderful time where anything and everything has gone right or wrong for your favorite team vs. their rival!

It's even better when the games have huge BCS implications! Nothing better than to save a horrible season by wrecking your rivals chance at the national title (see USC, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Michigan) or solidifying a great season (see Oregon State, Florida/Florida State winner, South Carolina/Clemson winner).

Notre Dame vs SEC winner for the title game. Thanks Lane Kiffin. (If he stays...needs to hire an OC and new DC...I'll spare everyone my rant on that series of playcalling that sealed the game for ND.)

Yeah I was kind of impartial towards Kiffin but now I think he sucks, I wouldn't want to play for him.

Not that I'm surprised, but the SEC went 4-0 against the ACC yesterday with Florida and South Carolina more or less dominating Florida State and Clemson. I thought Ckemson had one of the best offenses in the country so only scoring 17 against South Carolina was a bit of a shock.

Does anyone have tickets for the SEC title game next week, those shouldn't be to hard to come by .....

^That's what doesn't make sense/gives me hope...he can recruit. By all accounts, the players love him and by into his crazy offensive playcalling tendencies. I see potential, but it's pretty obvious at this point he needs a new DC and needs to hire an OC so he can focus on game management. The team has been in a position to win every single game, but between poor execution (which goes back to how they practice) and mindboggling play calling...have fallen just short every single time it mattered.

He's definitely at the crossroads of his coaching career: improve, or end up as a career assistant coach/head coach of non BCS conference schools. I'm at the point where I've went from believing in him to not being so sure anymore, but I see the potential.

^Can he recruit or can USC recruit? Not taking anything away from Kiffin but getting a top players to come to USC probably isn't the toughest job in the world, that place recruits for itself (kind of how Alabama, Florida, and LSU do). It will certainly be an interesting off season for that team, when are they back to full scholarships? Just from the very little of USC that I watched I think some of their struggles this year were a result of them just still being pretty thin at some positions as a result of their sanctions, that and they are everyone in that conference's biggest game so they everyone's best shot.

Just an interesting fact that someone told me yesterday about this weekend's games, South Carolina beat a VERY good Clemson team on the road at Clemson, holding one of the best offenses in the country to 17 points and winning by 10 with their back up QB. Pretty good performance for the 6th best team in the SEC, 6th!

Can Lane coach D? We need a new DC who can recruit..

I'd really like to have seen Tech not turn the ball over five times on the Georgia side of the field. Nothing worse than losing to those mutts, especially when you out-gain them on offense and control the ball for nearly 40 mins. I am cheering for the Tide big time this week!

^Welcome to my nightmare. Turnovers killed USC.

^^Two more reduced recruiting classes left. Or until THESE files are unsealed. No question the NCAA was out to get USC, and now their former running back coach (who had a show cause order essentially end his career) is suing. And so far, he's winning!

Side note: USC might actually end up playing Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl now...

Edited by Jew

Yeah, screw the NCAA every decision they make anymore just completely baffles me and seems to make no logical sense. Why do the the two basketball players at Indiana have to sit out 9 games and re-pay $1,500 but Shabazz Muhammad only has to sit out 3 games and re-pay $1,600? AND two years ago Enes Kanter for Kentucky was ruled ineligible for the whole season and not allowed to pay back any of his impermissible benefits that he took as a 15 year old playing in Turkey. The whole NCAA is just a rutter-less ghost ship at this point, and mark it down sometime in the near future the commissioner of the Big Ten and the SEC will get together and say screw you, we can run football and basketball on our own terms, see ya later.

If Georgia Tech plays USC in the Sunbowl I would like to see a live stream of a wrestling match between Joey and Joe at the pre-game tailgate, no holds barred, falls count anywhere.

Hey Joe, what's the word is Jacket land on the bowl situation for Tech? Are people around the program confident that they will be granted the waiver to be eligible if they fall to 6-7? The NCAA instituted a new rule this past off season that says that 6-7 are eligible only after all of the 6-6 teams have been selected, and there are currently 70 teams with a 6-6 or better record with 3 more potential 6-6 teams left (Uconn and Pittsburgh are 5-6 with one game remaining, and if Tech beats FSU they are automatically in at 7-6).

The rules don't specifically state what happens if the team is 6-7 because they are playing in a conference championship in place of ineligible teams, such as Tech is this year. UCLA got in last year under this scenario but had to apply for a waiver from the NCAA, which was granted, but I don't know if Tech will get the same waiver with the new rules were passed this past year.

My Toppers are semi-directly affected since Tech will certainly be selected to a bowl if the NCAA declares them eligible, but if Uconn or Pitt wins then it will basically come down to WKU (7-5), Rice (6-6), SMU (6-6), or Central Michigan (6-6) fighting for the last slots and one (or two or three) of these teams will not make a bowl game.

We got left out last year with a 7-5 record so we'll see what happens.

From the local paper (not just some fan site)

The Sun Bowl is required to take the ACC title-game runner-up if it’s available. Two ESPN projections pair Tech up with Southern California.

I’ve read that Tech would not be bowl eligible at 6-7 and that the waiver that UCLA received last year will not be granted. BCS guru Jerry Palm tweeted it, for instance. I don’t believe that to be the case, largely because, as I’ve written, Tech, ACC and bowl officials all expect the waiver to be granted. The other reason is that the NCAA process instituted that addresses 6-7 teams that lose their championship game was put in place for a situation in which there weren’t enough bowl-eligible teams.

As I understand it, because there are enough bowl-eligible teams, there isn’t a need to use the protocol that could potentially keep Tech out. It’s conceivable that the waiver could be denied, but on a teleconference Sunday night, coach Paul Johnson said that acting athletic director Paul Griffin told him that Tech will go to a bowl.

for what it's worth. Jewey, you're going down!

It will be interesting, the rules are so vague that I don't really know how it's going to work out. My contacts with our program seem to think that they will not be eligible because of the new rules but who knows how the NCAA will handle their waiver appeal, I think Tech deserves the exemption even though it would likely screw us out of a bowl game.