TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

Just to expand upon what I was saying about USC's still slim national title hopes: All the teams currently in the top 15 have one or more games against other top 15 opponents left.

(really that is just my justification for watching USC play its worst game since that ASU game last season to choke away their status as the front runner to the non-SEC invite to the title game, but it works! )

Next week we have Clemson vs. FSU & Oklahoma vs. K-state to shuffle the rankings up again within the top 15.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Woahhhhhhhhh there hoss, slow your roll.

Zona might have looked great against an Oklahoma State team that was ravaged by graduation and ranked FAR too high to start the season, but they needed overtime to beat Toledo and obliterated an FCS team. Not overly impressive. They'll certainly have a good season, but you're getting a little ahead of yourself proclaiming they'll be 12-0, even in the Pac 12. Winning at Oregon, Stanford, and UCLA won't be easy.

^USC won't run the table. Lane Kiffin is their coach. I still don't know what they were thinking by hiring him.

Thus far, it is hard to argue with the results given the circumstances of the sanctions. He's far from perfect, but succeeding at what he was hired for: to get USC through the sanctions. The 10-2 season last season far exceeded anyone's expectations. The verdict is still out on this season, as it was very obvious he was out coached vs. Stanford. But last season ASU spanked him too, then he had the team rolling from then on out...

There is a LOT of football left to be played this year and I think we can all agree that a loss early in the season is much better than one late as far as having a chance to get into the national title game. USC has enough ranked opponents left on their schedule (Oregon, Notre Dame, UCLA, potential Pac 12 Title game) that if they do run the table it's not inconceivable for them to be in the mix. Bama and LSU seem to be the cream of the crop once again, but there are plenty of tough match ups left on their schedules where a loss is possible (LSU @ Florida Oct. 6th). I don't think that the BCS voters won't let 2 SEC teams play for the title 2 years in a row even if they are the best 2 teams in the country.

And on a personal note, how bout them Hilltoppers? I know Kentucky stinks but a win on the road in the SEC is huge for any team from a non-BCS conference especially against against an in-state opponent. And don't be surprised if you start hearing the name Willie Taggart thrown around for some big time coaching jobs later this season. It takes some major onions to go for a 2 point conversion, for the win, in over time, on the road in the SEC with a play like this....

Western Kentucky also received 3 Top 25 votes in the USA Today coaches poll this week, first time in school history.

I'm not totally out on Tennessee yet, they still seem to have some talent, and I think Florida is better than people think right now. If they can find a way to win one game in the 4 game stretch against Georgia, Miss. State, Alabama, and South Carolina I still think they can be a 7 or 8 win team. With that being said if they do go 6-6 or worse I think Dooley's seat may be a getting a little warm...

^Unfortunately, this has been the pattern of a Dooley led team for two seasons now. Be competitive for a half, but lay down in the end. I'm frustrated but I am not quitting on them yet. If they can somehow split those four games you mentioned they have a great shot at a 9 win season. If they get swept, FireDooley.com will start getting some hits.

I'm looking forward to the Oklahoma Kansas State game this weekend. Oklahoma is a team that I just can't consider to be elite anymore since they seem to find a way to lose to a lesser opponent every year, and Kansas State is a team I didn't know much about going into the season but after they absolutely blasted Miami at home (who I know isn't very good) it looks like they may that sneaky team that could bite the Sooners in the rear.

Also UL Monroe plays Baylor Friday night, which isn't exactly a major match up but after watching Monroe play 2 weeks in a row they are for real and have some big time players that are a lot of fun to watch. What a crazy schedule they've taken on early in the season, @Arkansas, @Auburn, and @Baylor three weeks in a row..... that's a tough stretch.

Oh yeah, and I guess Florida State Clemson is supposed to be a big game or something? It's hard to bet against Florida State, but then again they are Florida State. FSU being favored by 2 TD's over a top 10 team seems a bit high to me, they're not Alabama. While that bet screams take Clemson to cover, it also reeks of a classic "to good to be true so it probably is" sucker bet, I'm gonna stay away all together.

^i don't know if it is more of a case of Arkansas not being very good or Bama being better than the bottom 4 teams in the NFL? Bama is disgustingly talented and one of the most poised and well coached teams I've ever seen, I'm not totally convinced that if you gave last year's Bama team Andrew Luck and Julio Jones they wouldn't be able to give the Jaguars a decent game......

^Well Arkansas was also playing with a backup QB who couldn't hit sand if he fell off a camel, a coach who is about three steps past the legal definition of criminally insane, and a defense that has so many holes it could give Swiss cheese a run for its money. In other words, they aren't very good.

You need a segment on Sportscenter. I'd watch.

dt

^Well Arkansas was also playing with a backup QB who couldn't hit sand if he fell off a camel, a coach who is about three steps past the legal definition of criminally insane, and a defense that has so many holes it could give Swiss cheese a run for its money. In other words, they aren't very good.

Let him live.