TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess people in NYC just don't care about college football, which is understandable.

There was probably more USC fans in the stadium than Syracuse fans. And only the lower bowl was anywhere close to full. Me and Dan were about 5 sections away from the Syracuse band and could barely hear them. The place is purpose built to be as bland and boring as possible so both teams can use it...I'm sure it's probably a bit louder with 85,000 fans though.

I agree with that statement though. We got asked at least 10 times around town if there was a game, since "I saw a bunch of people in USC gear." Syracuse is probably still making money on the deal, but that whole "we are NY's college team" plan failed. Though I imagine schools like ND and USC probably wouldn't have taken a home & home if they had to play in the Carrier Dome.

^Yeah, no way they would have taken a home and home in the Carrier Dome. As much as no one cares about college football in NYC, Syracuse isn't exactly a world class program anymore. It would be interesting to see what the reaction would be if they were regularly ranked in the top 10, probably not a lot different but ya never know.

Interesting to hear you describe Metlife Stadium as bland and boring, on tv it atleast looks really cool. Still can't believe they are hosting a Superbowl next year in NYC, in February.

I forgot about Lambeau, point Joe, Green Bay is really just a college town with a pro team. Seriously though, other than Lambeau and maybe Seattle, most NFL stadiums that I've been to seem to the in game experience in the stadium just feel kind of bland and boring. I wish more NFL franchises would try to create unique game day atmospheres like a lot of college programs do.

^ I agree - though there are some elements here and there that are exciting (ie, dawg pound, black hole etc). But we all know that college football is a far better gameday experience. Admittedly, though I've always followed the Jackets, I was more of an NFL fan growing up - and I'll still say they put one hell of a product on the field - but the uniqueness of each school and their traditions, the students, the comparative lack of corporate bs, the intensity and size of some of the stadiums... I love it.

^Tampa Bay and its pirate ship in the end zone is pretty cool too!

But anyways...back to college football: 5 PAC-12 teams ranked! Don't think that will be sustained, but it's pretty cool for now!

Also, Notre Dame is making its move to eventually merge into the ACC for football.

^I've been saying for the past couple of seasons that the Pac12 is a bit underrated down here by the SEC Media because the games are rarely on national broadcasts before 11pm but now that 5 teams are ranked my theories are slowly coming to fruition! I still think that physically the top tier teams in the SEC are superior on the offensive and defensive lines so they still have an advantage but I'm pretty excited to see Bama or LSU play USC or Oregon. Any combination of those 4 teams will be a fantastic.

^Considering the PAC-12 just went to divisions last season, there hasn't been many opportunities for that to have happened. However, I believe it has happened when it was still the PAC-10 (and they played a round-robin schedule, so everyone played everyone) over the last 10 years...

Right now the PAC-12 South has 3 teams, so that's a start.

What are the games this week that everyone's looking forward to? In the SEC I think Florida Tennessee should be a good game, I like Florida to win, and as much as I hate Tennessee it's good to see both programs getting back to being as competitive as they once were. Arkansas vs Alabama has lost quite a bit of it's appeal since Arkansas got upset by Louisiana Monroe, but this should still be an interesting match up. I have no idea what to expect from Arkansas at this point, that program is in awful shape right now with everything that happened this off season. If Tyler Wilson plays it could be a decent game, but if not I like Bama by 40 haha.

USC Stanford should be fun to watch. I didn't think Stanford was going to take a huge step back after losing Luck since they are still a power style downhill running team, but their week 1 performance was a bit shaky. However they crushed Duke in week 2 so maybe they are figuring things out and can give USC a game. I like USC by a 7.

The prime time match up of the weekend for me however, and no one else probably, is THE Western Kentucky HILLTOPPERS at the University of Kentucky Wildcats (ESPNU 7pm). Kentucky is down, and Western has what I think is a really good team, and a win in Lexington against UK could be absolutely HUGE for our program going forward in terms of attendance, recruiting, respect, a lot of great things will come from beating UK and I can't wait. Kentucky is in the SEC? Tell em what you think about the SEC Andrew Jackson....

^Sadly, even if USC rolls the rest of the season...that's probably true. The loser of the LSU-Alabama game will be viewed as being better than the team that lost early on the road to a top-25 team. But that's assuming there is not another undefeated team.

P.S.: You as a Gator should appreciate an early season loss. I seem to recall Tim Tebow rallying his team in the post game speech and then going on to win the national title.

But the way they looked tonight...there's a lot to improve on. Of course, last year they looked like shit against ASU before blowing up. But last year they didn't have a giant hole at center going from a senior all-american to a RS Freshman playing his first game...

Stanford completely outplayed USC, and USC completely outplayed itself...trying a run and a couple plays under center on the final drive, despite having some success with the previous two plays from shotgun working...

The silver lining is that the loss is early in the season and now that the PAC-12 has a championship game...all hope is not yet lost. Time to obliterate Cal and never look back!

Edited by Jew

Next up for the UofA Wildcats is a romping of the Oregon Ducks! Well, one can hope. Anyway, let's hope that the cats can keep up with the ducks since the cats have a pretty impressive new offense scheme.

Jimmy "GO WILDCATS and beat Justin's Ducks" Bo

I was thinking, the Pac12 was smart for scheduling Stanford-USC early, allowing that the loser has enough time to climb back up as we all know how much more November losses hurt - now they can potentially have two teams in the national title hunt!

Didn't even think of that, but it definitely makes sense. Stanford and Oregon still have to play, as does USC and Oregon. Then there is the championship game too. My USC fan dream is that Stanford and USC win out, so USC can have its chance for redemption.

^^Actually, the Marlins are 13th in attendance this year in the majors if you're talking about percentage of tickets sold. Even if you go by average home crowd, they're 18th, which is a huge improvement on the 28th place finish they had last year in that stat. They'll never lead the majors in that stat given how small the stadium is, but attendance has gone way up this year with the new stadium, despite the fact that they've underperformed horribly badly.