TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There aren't many good things about having Russel Athletic supply the GT football team, but at least that mean's we will never have Pro Combat unis

We had Russell at Western Kentucky my last year (and still do, I think WKU was one of the first schools to officially use them exclusively for all sports), and I loved their stuff. I still wear sweats and t-shirts and stuff from them I got that year all the time, and liked our uniforms then and the new ones we have now. Nothing fancy, or flashy, just solid good looking uniforms.

^The only cool part of the Pro Combat system is the gloves that interlock to form the schools logo.

Yeah those were cool the first time I saw them when Alabama had them in the championship game a few years ago, but now that every school has them with their logo it's getting a little old.

Makes you really appreciate schools like USC, Alabama, Michigan, etc. that have stuck to their traditional uniforms...

But USC's uniforms are awesome, why would they ever need to change? I'm all for changing things up a little from time to time, breaking out new uniforms can be a good tool to get the crowd into the game or give the players a little extra edge. I love when teams do the blackout for the first time or wear throwbacks, but I do agree that some of the new designs are awful. Change is good, but best when done in moderation.

Then again, as awful as all of Oregon's uniforms are you gotta give them credit for making a reputation for themselves and being visible on the national scale, even if for all of the wrong reasons. Oregon can't be an easy place to recruit, all of their players have to come out of California (USC, UCLA, Stanford) or from the rest of the country (SEC, Big 12, Big 10) so having uniforms that are very emphatic (ugly) definitely gives them some attention they wouldn't normally get. How does a guy like LaMichael James come from middle-no-where Texas to being a Heisman candidate at Oregon? I'm not saying it's all because of the uniforms but I think it definitely plays a part.

Then again, as awful as all of Oregon's uniforms are you gotta give them credit for making a reputation for themselves and being visible on the national scale, even if for all of the wrong reasons. Oregon can't be an easy place to recruit, all of their players have to come out of California (USC, UCLA, Stanford) or from the rest of the country (SEC, Big 12, Big 10) so having uniforms that are very emphatic (ugly) definitely gives them some attention they wouldn't normally get. How does a guy like LaMichael James come from middle-no-where Texas to being a Heisman candidate at Oregon? I'm not saying it's all because of the uniforms but I think it definitely plays a part.

That's a really good point. Kids like ugly stuff. It's a proven fact.....just stroll through the mall.

USC actually switched to a pro combat uniform this year, with all the high tech marketing BS the uniform supposedly provides...and still kept their traditional look.

How does a guy like LaMichael James come from middle-no-where Texas to being a Heisman candidate at Oregon?

EASY

^Haha, you got me there, I forgot all about that one. Point being is that Oregon has to compete for recruits in parts of the country outside of their state which isn't always easy to do, and having huge a backing by Nike and ridiculous uniform selection certainly helps make them more visible to potential recruits on the national stage and has arguably helped turn them into a top 10 program over the last decade. That and the fact that they can buy recruits.

The Nike backing is the only reason they are relevant. Prior to last year, their last Rose Bowl win was in 1917.

Phil Knight has major penis envy. USC built the McKay center, so he threw down for an expansion to Oregon's football complex.

We had Russell at Western Kentucky my last year (and still do, I think WKU was one of the first schools to officially use them exclusively for all sports), and I loved their stuff. I still wear sweats and t-shirts and stuff from them I got that year all the time, and liked our uniforms then and the new ones we have now. Nothing fancy, or flashy, just solid good looking uniforms.

I have no problem with the gear itself, I just wonder if being a smaller supplier is why GT fan gear is harder to find/more limited.

Though somehow even we, with a super majority of male students, have a Victoria's Secret pink line. lol

Maybe if Robinson doesnt get his face ripped off THEN rushes for 900 yards or so.

^fixed!

But seriously this is a game that might look closer that it really is because Alabama might beat the crap out of them but only win by 10 or so, they're good enough to do that to people.

Is anyone interested in doing some type of TPR College Football pick'em challenge here on the forums? Just an idea I had but since it seems like since we have several regular posters in this particular thread it might be fun for everyone to post their picks here every week and keep a running score thought the season. It will also be fun to make dispariging comments abiut everyone's picks and talk trash about the weekly results.

I've participated in different pick'em leagues over the years and am open to any format that people like but was thinking we could post the USA Today point spreads every Monday, and everyone picks like 5 or 6 games each week against the spread Maybe each pick is weighted on confidence (one game worth 6 points, one game forth 5 points and so on) or something as well. Anyone interested?