TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster "Mechanisms"

Hi everyone! I'm new in this forum! I'm a roller coaster fanatic, since 2010, when I ride El Jaguar, in Isla Mágica, Spain (yes, I'm Spanish)

I will ask you a lot of question, sorry if I became a bit boring!

My first question is about B&M coasters:

- What's that? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/sinttuloep.jpg/ (in red)

- Does anyone have a picture of the lift motor on a sitting multiloop coaster (Kumba, Dragon Khan)

Edited by adrielege

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two mechanisms to carry the train up the lift: The chain dog that sits inside the chain that actually pulls the train, and the anti-rollback dog which creates the clack-clack-clack...they are on the left and right side of that slide respectively, so there's really no need for the middle.

^Actually it would be a little bit more expensive because of the labor required in milling out the center, assuming it's one solid piece. I don't know why it wouldn't just be a solid surface on top either. My first guess would be to align the chain dog properly, but that's what the wheel assembly does.

*Looks at it again.*

DJeXel: Are you sure that's their use? Because the tires are aligned a little to the left of both the chain and the anti rollbacks, thus meaning that the chain dog would be to the right, thus not puncturing the tires.

You guys are right about them being used to keep the chain dog and anti-rollback devices from puncturing the drive tires but really it’s to help guide them over the tire better. Less severe of a jolt to them having those in place than the tire itself hitting them full force. The reason there is a cleft is because as you can see the two sides have some bolt holes. Those pieces are replaceable since they take a lot of wear and tear from the metal rubbing on them. So they have to be replaceable. So they are bolted on. The metal plate under it is completely flat. They don’t have to mill that down at all which keeps cost as as well as maintenance costs down.

Ok, many thanks to everyone. Now it´s quite easy to understand the anti-rollback and chaindog device

I also have other question: as you can see in this video, Dragon Khan, in port aventura, has small leds. My question is: how can they get the electricity? http://www.pa-community.com/veronika/blog/dragon-khan-con-luces-video/0ae06fbdc51baaf71a

Does anyone have a picture of that device?

^Moving a magnet through a coil of electrically conductive wiring creates a voltage. (Or moving a coil around a magnet.) The wheels provide the movement, and there are probably copper wires attached to the wheel that rotate around a magnet. The wires are connected to a circuit that sends the electricity to the LEDs and lights them up.

Probably not using any sort of generator in the wheels to power the LEDs.

Typically, there are batteries (or a capacitor bank) located in the zero car that get charged at the load/unload area.

The Hulk Coaster at IOA used to have small strobes throughout the train. They looked awesome at night.

And HRRR has an incredible LED display as well on its trains.

Here's a link to the company that was responsible for the onboard audio/lighting.

Show Systems Intergrators

-=CoasterBP

It probably would be by using a type of generator, but I think that dragon khan, is in the other way

^Very highly doubt that.

Probably a simple onboard battery (or capacitor) and is charged by a buss bar in the station. Many rides with onboard electronics are powered this way, if not all.

But, my question now: where is located that device: i had rode DK several times?, and i dont't see the buss bar..

located in the zero car

Is the zero car this?

Dragon_Khan1.jpg.eec86dc8a3159bf9733a21bd7dab9eb7.jpg

^Very highly doubt that.

Probably a simple onboard battery (or capacitor) and is charged by a buss bar in the station. Many rides with onboard electronics are powered this way, if not all.

Oh. Duh. I over-think stuff like that. I was probably thinking of those new LED wheels from Maurer Soehne that light up more intensely the faster the wheels rotate.

^^Yes there is most likely a buss-bar in the station that charges the batteries/capacitors while train is loading/unloading. Since they are most likely LED bulbs, they will have extremely low power consumption so a battery will be able to run them for an entire operating day without a charge.

Hi everyone! I'm new in this forum! I'm a roller coaster fanatic, since 2010, when I ride El Jaguar, in Isla Mágica, Spain (yes, I'm Spanish)

- What's that? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/sinttuloep.jpg/ (in red)

- Does anyone have a picture of the lift motor on a sitting multiloop coaster (Kumba, Dragon Khan)

The area highlighted in red on the leftside of the pic is just the "crap catcher" used to keep loose items from falling under the ride while the top right arrow seems to be pointing to the track connector plate which has that little recessed groove in the tie which is standard on most B&M coasters.

The area highlighted in red on the leftside of the pic is just the "crap catcher" used to keep loose items from falling under the ride while the top right arrow seems to be pointing to the track connector plate which has that little recessed groove in the tie which is standard on most B&M coasters.

Thanks you!

• 4 months later...

Hmmmmmmm... that's actually very interesting. My first thought would be the anti rollback and/or chain dog being pushed back down after experiencing airtime, but that's more of a clank sound, not a continuous roar like that.

Hmmmmmmm... that's actually very interesting. My first thought would be the anti rollback and/or chain dog being pushed back down after experiencing airtime, but that's more of a clank sound, not a continuous roar like that.
Yes! Ithough the same, but I think that isn't the correct answer, I mean, it sounds like the colission beetwen the rails and the wheels... I DONT KNOW ARRRRGH HAHAHAHHAAHHA