TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gardaland Discussion Thread

I can't imagine Intamin would phone up B&M and say "Hey would you guys like our help and input in designing a rival coaster".

Why not? B&M phoned up Vekoma and asked for their help when they were designing their version of the flying coaster. Vekoma phoned up Arrow and asked them for help back in the day.

This kind of thing actually happens more often than you'd think.

--Robb

Not to mention - most of these companies were born from one another.

Schwarzkopf incubated Intamin who in turn spawned B&M and Giovinola. It's like 6 degrees of separation of Kevin Bacon, only with coaster engineers.

Most of these engineers have worked for or with one another at least once in their working careers.

Most of these engineers have worked for or with one another at least once in their working careers.

Of course they do, you have to start somewhere, you don't wake up one day and say "hey I'm going to start a coaster company"

B&M know's how to handle speed, I remember in an interview when Walter Bolliger stated that "humans don't perceive speed unless it changes" in a question about coaster speed. They really know how to do it, and the Batman clones are a great example of that.

What a fantastic quote! Link to the interview?

http://rosegeorge.com/site/rollercoasters/

Thanks for the link, it was so fun reading it again

Will be interesting to see if they can solve the problem of vibrations in the outer seats.

^What vibrations in the outer seats? I've know some trains can get the B&M shudder, but that is certainly not an ongoing problem with all of them, and if it does shudder I've found it usually shudders a whole row, not just the outside seats.

I think they were referring to the problems with Furious Baco's outer seats.

I liked Baco, but boy was it rough. Rough enough that the vibrations made me partially black out.

I think they will better this concept in some ways. This ride type does seem more suited to B&M than Intamin. I can't quite work out what was so special about Baco, but I loved it. (I thought it was better than the acclaimed Khan!) The launch is very good and that little pop of air is ace. These are things the B&M version is unlikely to have.

What excites me about this is that it may flow better than Baco does and feel more "right". Wardley's desire with Air was that it would feel like you were going where you wanted to go and not being dragged. He was obsessed with the idea of a flying coaster since Nemesis days. Maybe this, considering it's another Wardley world's first B&M, is a continuation of that obsession to find a coaster which simulated free flying?

I'm interested to know if one of these goes to Thorpe Park for 2012. With the olympics in London and it being a park in the same chain, and Wardley saying he's working with Thorpe on his website, it makes some kind of sense.

I think those 2 elements will be inlines/zero-g rolls like Furious Baco's... You have to go into negatives to produce airtime. Some zero-g rolls do, but unintentionally.

Baco has a pop of air at the end of it's launch because it dips down, ya see. And It's really cool.

It will be interesting to see what the lift on this will be like, and it will ride completely different to Baco because it will be comparatively a lot, lot slower with no launch.

^I actually think they will be proper Zero-G-rolls. I'm guessing it can be possible as the Arrow/S&S 4D's also feature this elements. Also, if you would take two immelmans from sheikra and put them together at the top, you get a zero-G-roll.

Interesting thought about immelmans... Would you get zero-g forces at the top of such a vast inversion, though? Some B&M zero-gs seem to happen too fast to produce zero gs and end up producing negatives. Nemesis, Nemesis Inferno, Batman are definitely like this. So maybe it would be perfect?

Regardless, will be interesting to see how a train like that navigates a zero-g. Pretty sure B&M will have to modify their zero-g roll for it...

[...]This rides all share a common complaint: too much vibration in the outer seats.

I think the outerst seat has a difference to to track like the at Oblivion. And i think Obliven (or other Dive Machines) are smooth.

^ Oblivions train design is very different though. Basically, the stiffness of the train is far greater on dive machines (and I believe the trains are heavier as a result). Dive machines also transition a lot slower and they use a much wider gauge track.

The wing walker trains from Intamin can negotiate tighter curves at the cost of being more flexible (hence the outer seats vibrating more).

I'm very interested to see how this pans out

Dave