TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gardaland Discussion Thread

...I wonder how long it took them to come up with this concept.

In all seriousness, I do hope Merlin don't increasingly role out 'brands' across their parks - simply to save cash. They should be striving for unique attractions which suits each of their unique parks.

That is now 2 Alton Towers concepts which have been used in their other parks - Nemesis (Inferno) and Oblivion (The Black Hole). What is next for Heide-Park? Air: The New Beast?

If I was Mr. Gardaland I am not sure I would want some sort of dumbed down (thematically) version of a coaster which opened nearly 20 years ago? Furthermore, I am unsure if Gardaland really suits this type of theme?

Merlin seem unable to develop major thrill rollercoasters with anything other than a sinister/scary theme.

Merlin seem unable to develop major thrill rollercoasters with anything other than a sinister/scary theme.

Because we all want to ride the ride if it was calles unicorn drop to magicland and the backstory is going to a sweet cotton candy world.

In all seriousness though, Almost all thrill rides these darker themes or names because they are appealing to the groups their trying to attract with the ride. Merlin loves these more darker themes because they pay up, and I have to admit after all these new great scary themes the past few years it's good to see them do a (more space like) redesign of on of their older themes.

And like I said Oblivion isn't a bad name and think about it we're coaster enthusiasts so yeah we know About Alton Towers Oblivion but GP in Italy don't.

If I was Mr. Gardaland I am not sure I would want some sort of dumbed down (thematically) version of a coaster which opened nearly 20 years ago? Furthermore, I am unsure if Gardaland really suits this type of theme?

This Oblivion is only about science fiction, and its story talks about Gardaland's foundation (1975-2015 40y anniversary)

So absolutely nothing sinister or scary. This will be something like a time travel.

Merlin aim imho is only to standardize ride offer in their parks all around europe, encouraging kind of "visitors interchange"

^It may just be some of the first tests basically breaking in all the trains and seeing if the individual components of the ride are in working condition. These runs are generally slower than the final speed of the ride as the wheels haven't really been on the track at all; once the coaster is further along in testing, I think we'll see the speed pick up a little.

To give comparison, here's the first test POV for Freedom Flyer as provided by Fun Spot. It features all the same disclaimers stating the ride runs slower during the first few tests:

Compared to it running in 2014: