TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Surfing (a service for coaster enthusiasts!)

Hey Guys! I wasn’t exactly sure if this was the right place to post this but it seemed to make the most sense. If this is the wrong place I apologize. Either way I have had this idea running through my head for a minute and wanted everyone’s input and ideas. So the basic concept is this. As you know one of the most expensive parts or going from park to park across the country/world is the cost of staying in a half decent hotel. I was thinking wouldn’t it be awesome if there was a database of coaster enthusiasts who offer up their couches (similar to couch surfing) and or floors to other coaster enthusiasts visiting their home parks! This would be specifically theme park and enthusiast directed.

I don’t know about you all, but I love it when I go to a new park and can meet up with someone who really knows and loves the place. Typically they can really show you the park in detail and they also know the good places to eat. I know I love showing people around my home park (Silver Dollar City) since I love it so much! It would also be a great way to meet other like minded enthusiasts. It’s a basic concept and my other half is a web developer and he says he could put this together easily. Do you all think this is a good idea? Is this something you all would use or like? What other things would you like to see it have?

Thank you in advance for your ideas and thoughts!

Nathan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a great idea. I had actually thought about this recently and how it could have saved me hundreds of dollars on my upcoming SoCal trip.

I think you might get more response if you make the topic title a bit more descriptive.

As an old punk rocker who did this kind of thing many times back in the day I find the idea kind of cool. Not to mention the money saved would be great.

That being said I'm not sure how balanced or fair it would be. Those having houses or apartments near major parks would see by far the most traffic, and even within the community I'm not sure how open I would be to having strangers from within such a diverse scene traffic through my house.

Even if I'm not sure how well it would work, I still think it's a cool idea.

It would have to be set up like couch surfing with reviews and references of each person offering up a place to stay.

Rating someone after staying there would have to be mandatory so others can read about how you were treated.

It's a good idea, but for those looking to go to places near parks why not just use Couch Surfing for that? Chances are the person you stay with has been there and can offer up some advice. They might not be an enthusiast, but for that why not just use TPR or a website dedicated to that park to find someone that may want to meet up there and show you around?

That being said I'm not sure how balanced or fair it would be. Those having houses or apartments near major parks would see by far the most traffic, and even within the community I'm not sure how open I would be to having strangers from within such a diverse scene traffic through my house.

This, too.

While I think this could be an "interesting" idea...it's not something that Theme Park Review is interested in pursing. So if you want to move forward with creating the website...best of luck to you!

--Robb