TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Man without hands not allowed to ride roller coaster

^This. Bottom line. The fact he didn't read the safety signs that are posted at the entrance AND throughout the queue is no ones fault but his own. He caused his embarrassment of being turned away. The sad thing is, if he would've been allowed to ride and gotten injured by not holding on......he would've been ready to sue for that reason.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I Agree Six Flags Did The Right Thing! It is still sad and I understand his disappointment I Do hope They at least issued him a refund for his day! I mean the only reason you go to a six flags park is for the rides! Seriously what else is there to do?

Seriously what else is there to do?

If parks were only made to ride stuff then there would be no buildings, no food, no scenery. Parks are made for a number of things, but mainly just to give people a good time. You could walk around and enjoy the scenery, go get something to eat, neither of this require fingers. I personally don't feel bad for him getting turned down. Yes it's a shame he has to live like that, but rides have requirements, and if he can read that having a grip is a requirement to ride and he still made the decision to go and try to ride it then that is his own fault. Six Flags made the right move.

I agree that the park made the SAFE decision...but I'm not so positive it was the necessary one.

This.

I totally sympathize for this guy, given that I have been turned away from some of the coasters at CP due to my size. But at least my weight is something I can have control over, this guy can't control not having hands. I think this is an unfortunate situation where this guy would probably be able to ride without incident over and over, but Six Flags isn't taking the chance of something going wrong, especially considering some of the incidents that have happened at their parks before.

Reading is hard apparently. Not to bash the guy, but those signs are at the entrance, throughout the queue, and in the station for a reason. If you can't take two seconds to look at them when you have a disability to verify if you can ride or not then its your own fault for being in line and becoming angry. Six Flags did the right thing.

Reading is hard apparently. Not to bash the guy, but those signs are at the entrance, throughout the queue, and in the station for a reason. If you can't take two seconds to look at them when you have a disability to verify if you can ride or not then its your own fault for being in line and becoming angry. Six Flags did the right thing.

Does anyone here actually read the signs every time they go on a ride? I rarely see anyone stop and glance for more than 5 seconds, and the totality of the signs takes at least a minute to read.

^ While that is very true, I would hope that someone with a disability such as not having hands would know that they should read the signs to make sure they are still able to ride.

What I'm confused about is how in the time that he was in the park and standing in line, no one said anything to him about not being able to ride until he got in the station. Unless his arms were completely covered, there must have been plenty of employees who saw him, and I know it could be awkward for them, one of them should have said something to him or someone he was with about going to guest relations and seeing what he could ride. At least that would've saved him the time he wasted in line.

^ While that is very true, I would hope that someone with a disability such as not having hands would know that they should read the signs to make sure they are still able to ride.

This is my point exactly. I wouldn't expect the average guest to read the signs, and I doubt the park does either. But when you visit the park, and know you have a disability or medical condition I would think you would read up on their policies for this exact reason. At the risk of sounding offensive to any disabled folks on the board (and no offense meant), if you go to a theme park with a disability you are not an "average" guest. The parks do a lot to accomodate those with disabilities, including providing signage, literature, and customer service desks. I have a hard time believing that he has never taken a second in his whole history visiting the park and not reading up, or at the very least asking someone what he could ride.

What I'm confused about is how in the time that he was in the park and standing in line, no one said anything to him about not being able to ride until he got in the station. Unless his arms were completely covered, there must have been plenty of employees who saw him, and I know it could be awkward for them, one of them should have said something to him or someone he was with about going to guest relations and seeing what he could ride. At least that would've saved him the time he wasted in line.

My guess is he had gone throughout the entire day with employees noticing but not enforcing this policy (as he suggests has always been the case) and then he finally reached a ride that happened to be staffed with a op who "cares"...and I applaud said ride op for doing so. But I still think the whole situation is incredibly unfortunate on many levels.

^True. Whether they read it or not is irrelevant. It's posted and that's all that matters.

If you get pulled over for speeding, a "I didn't see the speed limit sign" excuse doesn't suffice. It's posted.

It's kind of goes along with the height as well. Like the incident at Darien lake not only the leg issue but he also wasn't tall enough. I just had an incident the other day where a guest was angry about the whole height and adult price thing. I explained to her that I understand how she feels but that the height requirement isn't the parks rule it's the ride manufactures rule. She came back with "well the park sets the prices right?" then I said I understand but all I can do is enforce the ride height set by the manufacturer. That basically defused the situation because it wasn't the parks rule. Now I don't know how the employees handled it there but I would think that they would try to explain it. What I try to do is put myself in the guests shoes and explain it to them like that. I don't know if what I said is exactly revelant but the only reason I made the analogy is because they are both park rules.

Michael Green said he waited in line for an hour Friday only to be told he could not ride the Texas Giant.

"I'm very furious, sir," he said. "This is the first time this has ever happened to me."

Well, he can't say that any more. Just because he had gotten away with not following park policies in the past doesn't mean those policies don't apply when an employee that is doing their job properly denies a guest access to a ride for their own safety. The park should not be penalized in any way for having turned him away. However, I do wonder if the park could be penalized for having not enforced their policy consistently if the man could indeed prove that he had been allowed to ride things he shouldn't have. I understand there are ride policy signs, but enforcement of policies isn't going to be carried out by a sign.

In this case no explanation was needed at all, the rule was clearly posted on an easy to find, easy to see, easy to read sign. If you didn't bother to read the rules on the sign, hands or no hands, it's your own damn fault. No lawsuit or anything, just take blame for your ignorant mistake you handless wonder and learn to pay better attention.

...just take blame for your ignorant mistake you handless wonder and learn to pay better attention.

Wow. Remind me not to get on your bad side.

Well you know it really irritates me when something like this happens. If it turns out to clearly be the park's fault for not posting proper signs or following procedures that's one thing, and fine, shame on them, but when the proper signs ARE CLEARLY posted and the ride op follows proper procedure and this person makes a big stink about this because they didn't bother to read signs and think they are just automatically entitled to whatever is just BS! Even if at other parks he was able to ride, for some reason, and I'm sure there were signs posted there too having this finally happen puts an end to 'being able to get away with it' and if he had half a brain wouldn't he think while he was doing this..."hmm, there are signs that say I must have at least one hand to be able to ride, I wonder about that." No, he just continues thinking it's okay to do this, maybe that's a park's fault, maybe it's his, maybe both, but common sense would tell you something is odd about this- in most people. And of course, that really sucks that he has no hands and I can't even begin to imagine what that must be like, BUT, there are rules at parks for good reason and as their guest YOU must follow the rules or not be allowed to ride, it's that simple and not even to mention common sense- you break the rules- you don't ride- get out, and btw grow up and stop assuming the world owes you everything because it does not!

DBru, you have nothing to worry about, it's just ignorant morons like this that sometimes I can't stand.

Going to an amusement park is like going to another country. Just because a law isn't present in your home country doesn't mean that it is okay in another. For example, it is illegal to chew gum in the streets of Singapore, you know, to keep everything clean. In the US it is perfectly legal to do that, but you will still be penalized in Singapore.

Same with parks, just because you can ride the subway with no functioning hands doesn't mean that you can automatically ride a roller coaster without hands. And on top of that it is NOT the park's rule, it is the ride manufacturer's. If the guys who DESIGNED and BUILT something don't think it is safe under certain circumstances why would you not believe them!