TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

what ride or rides scared the poop out of you?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was 13 or so, I rode the Beast in the very last seat...I had ridden it many many times before, but I had the worst ride in the world. Worse than any Son of Beast ride; I could hardly breathe when I got back in the station it rattled me that badly.

I didn't ride it until they retracked it in 2007 haha. It was seriously that bad.

Demon Drop would make me nervous...you can see through the floor! And it's soo...rickety?

Desperado at Buffalo Bills. I was only 7 and my parents drove 2 or 3 hours into the desert outside of Las Vegas just to ride it. I remember waiting in line and wanting absolutely no part of this ride. Somehow, my dad convinced me to ride it and it was the beginning of my roller coaster obsession.

I haven't ridden it since, but I know I have to some day!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of this thread (or maybe just something similar) and wanted to share my experiences last night. There was a lightning storm at Cedar Point last night. It was making no sound, so my friend said it was heat lighting (which I really did not know what it was). It was windy, the rides were still running, and we decided to ride Magnum. The first ride, lightning flashed as we crested the lift hill (first row, last car, or third-to-last row), but the ride was otherwise normal aside from the lightning (which may have also flashed during the ride), and we didn't really give another thought. Running over the trims, we hardly heard anything besides a brief noise, indicating the trims were low or off. The airtime on the return seemed normal - my friend does not believe in the "ejector seat", and we tried it once, and the airtime was not that much better, but I wished I could get a ride there without trims. The ops let us stay on, but just as our train engaged the lift hill, there was a huge flash in the sky, and this time...

BANG!!!

Now, we realize this is a real, nearby thunderstorm that could fry us if we were closer. As we raced towards the turnaround, my friend compared it to a train to death. Lake Erie seemed to fade into a pitch-black horizon. That was one of the freakiest park experiences ever.

Would I be allowed to post this in the Cedar Point thread along with a mini-trip-report?

• 2 months later...

Ironically, the ride that scared me the most actually got me interested in coasters: the old wooden Wild Mouse at Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk. I used to be scared of the Giant Dipper, but then I rode the Mouse. The way the cars leaned over on the hairpin turns,and the old "double dip" that threatened to hurtle you into the Pacific, where hungry sharks no doubt lay in wait, convinced me that the Dipper couldn't possibly be as terrifying.

Two rides that have scared me to death were X-Scream, and Insanity in Las Vegas. Both of those I swore if I made it off alive I would NEVER get back on them, So far I have done great at not getting back on them!! Aside from your normal roller coasters I hate heights, and dangling me over the edge of a 1,000+-ft tower is NOT my cup of tea. However I did fine on Skyjump Las Vegas!!! Ohhhh and drop towers .... I hate sitting at the top of drop towers waiting to drop... I can not stand the anticipation.

~Matt

Nothing really scares me anymore. However, vertical or very steep lifts make me a bit nervous. I'm not sure what it is, but I just don't like the sensation of the steep lift. Fahrenheit or any Euro Fighter suck going up the lift...same with very steep lifts like I305 or Millennium Force. However, once the lift is crested, it's all good and fun from there.

Also, my first ride on Top Thrill Dragster had me a bit scared...damn thing is real intimidating your first time.

Skyrush! I couldn't keep my arms up for the first few laps because I legit thought I would fly out and die! Such an awesome coaster!

I'd agree with this, most modern coasters feel too safe and comfortable so riding this was a bit of a shock to the system! And this was on the same trip I went on TTD which I loved but oddly didn't make me anywhere near as nervous.

The Wild Mouse at Blackpool comes a very close second.

Ironically, the ride that scared me the most actually got me interested in coasters: the old wooden Wild Mouse at Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk. I used to be scared of the Giant Dipper, but then I rode the Mouse. The way the cars leaned over on the hairpin turns,and the old "double dip" that threatened to hurtle you into the Pacific, where hungry sharks no doubt lay in wait, convinced me that the Dipper couldn't possibly be as terrifying.

I remember that ride! That was a long time ago! One of the first coasters I have ever rode.

Portable rides (outside of permanent locations) freak me out..especially Zipper rides at carnivals. When I go to a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park, I don't think twice about safety or maintenance, but at carnivals and fairs it keeps me off the zippers frisbees top spins etc. I would probably have the same reservations about chinese made coasters, so that's probably not the trip for me.

Skyrush! I couldn't keep my arms up for the first few laps because I legit thought I would fly out and die! Such an awesome coaster!

Hands up, legs out on the last airtime hill. If I die, I die.

Superman Escape at Movie World. I'm a big guy and the restraint fit, and the seatbelt was an inch or so past the yellow line. The ride ops spent 5 minutes discussing whether I would be OK to ride, apparently my chest was too close to the OTSRs.

Eventually one of them says to me - "just lean back during the ride, because these things are only plastic and they might break if you slam into them" - and then they send the ride off! So I'm riding this coaster thinking, I hope I don't break the restraint! Fortunately all was OK...

• 4 weeks later...

The two thatI rode, which scared me the first time were Two-Face and Jokers Jinx at SFA. Two-Face was my first roller coaster, and it went backwards, and the airtime scared me. I thought I was going to fall out!!, that's because back then,I didn't know your supposed to have airtime on coasters. My sister was telling me "You did it!", when we were comming down the lift back into the station, and according to my cousin, my face was "epic" during the ride,lol. Jokers Jinx scared me during the launch. I remember waiting in line for it for the first time, and it launched so loudly, I flinched,lol. I was so scared, and shaking when the op. said "All Clear, This Batch." The launch felt soooo intense back then. When I was in the tunnel, I felt like it wasn't going to be over for a long time. after the sidewinder/cobra roll, I liked it though, I was screaming, and screaming, and then I sudenly stoped, and put my hands up.