TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

what ride or rides scared the poop out of you?

Windseeker really freaked me out. The first time I rode it at night, it was a bit windy and I thought I was gonna die like that. I still don't know why that ride scares me that much. First time rides in the dark are not a good idea, it scares your 2x more. Especially on Windseeker.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was Xtreme Skyflyer at Kings Island back during the Paramount era. For years I had wanted to try a skycoaster but always had this fear of being held by a skinny cable and then having it snap as I swung out over the midway. Since Kings Island is the only park I've been to that has a reasonable price for their skycoaster I actually went ahead and got suited up for my flight. I was nervous the whole time being pulled backwards to the top of the back tower and when I pulled the cord I said the loudest "Oh S***" I've ever said. Since then I've been hooked and love it.

The first time I rode VertiGo at Cedar Point. I picked the "Cosmic Flip" program, which is where you got launched up in the upright position and then you were turned face down at the top as you plummeted to the ground. With the minimal restraint on that attraction and the small seat, it was a bit unnerving that first time. I did eventually fall in love with the ride and rode it several times during the year when I went to the Point. Besides $10 a person was a steal compared to the neighboring Skycoaster. I was saddened when the tower collapsed that winter resulting in the removal of the attraction.

I'm planning on trying the Skyscraper when I go thsi year. I'll probably feel the same way.

Skydiver at Rocky Point. It beat the crap out of me, and scared me half to death. never again.

I also rode "the Edge", that was at Rocky Point for awhile. maybe around 1993 It was called something else at the time. I was Ok until I got stuck at the top of the shaft. what seemed like an hour was probably only 10 minutes. I started to panic, all I could think about was climbing down all those steps. But it started back up and the cycle completed without further issue.

In 1984, the Edge catastrophically failed when a car at the bottom of the shaft was crushed by a car which fell from the top of the shaft.

100%, Grade A Urban Legend. For the record, when The Edge failed at Great America, there was no car crushed at the bottom of the shaft. The car was a little past 1/2 way up and the next car was not in the shaft yet. The three kids had minor injuries (not even any broken bones) and were in and out of the hospital in under a week. The only real visible injury on one of the kids was a black eye.

SFGAm is my home park and I followed that story closely when it happened back in '84. After the accident, Intamin added larger anti-rollback brakes in the tower and changed the ride programming on all free falls so the next car didn't enter the shaft until the previous car had completed its run down the track. The change lowered capacity and eliminated a great visual "fear" element. Under the original ride program, one car was going up the shaft while the other was going down. So as you were on your way up, you saw the other car flying down the track right in front of you at what seemed like inches from your face. The new programming, of course, did away with that. The car dropped, then and only then did the next car start up the tower.

Back on topic -- The Edge at SFGAm was the first ride I remember that truly scared the crap out of me the first time I rode it. And that's when it was new. After that first ride, first gen Intamin free falls really earned my respect. I can't put my finger on it exactly -- but the experience is just so cool. Something modern towers haven't really matched IMHO.

The ride to the top of the tower and seeing all the girders flying by in front of you really gave a sense that you were going way up, then sitting out over the edge for a few seconds just knowing what's coming next -- it hasn't be matched.

It's really too bad there are only a few of left, but they were (and still are) pretty harsh rides.

Windseeker really freaked me out. The first time I rode it at night, it was a bit windy and I thought I was gonna die like that. I still don't know why that ride scares me that much. First time rides in the dark are not a good idea, it scares your 2x more. Especially on Windseeker.

Last time I rode windseeker at night back in may I froze my butt off on that thing,it's sure colder 300 ft in the air than on the ground so it looks like I'll be wearing a jacket & gloves if I ride at night during haunt.

I was 6 years old when I was going to ride my first looping coaster-- Anaconda @ Kings Dominions. My cousin (who is the same age as me), uncle, other cousin (I think 18 at the time) and me, were all waiting for the same row. My cousin and uncle went on the ride before us, as it was a 2 person to each row train. My cousin balled her eyes out as the train left the station. It got me so scared. The cousin who I rode with (the 18 year old one), assured me I would be fine, and I loved the ride. The loops felt awesome, and I loved the first drop into the water!

My first time riding Ghostrider at KBF was terrifying! At the time I was about 7 or 8, and the biggest coaster i had ever been on was Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland, so Ghostrider was a pretty big leap. The only thing I remember from that ride was the first drop, and then coming back into the station, so I think I blacked out or something. Oddly enough now its my 2nd favorite wooden coaster

When I was younger Batman: The Dark Knight at Six Flags New England scared me because it was floorless. Now I love it.

Hypersonic XLC and Shockwave also scared me, that was back in 2007. I was 9 years old. I wish i would have ridden Hypersonic XLC because the next year I went to Kings Dominion, I was ready to ride it, but it was gone!! I was so sad!!

I will never ride anything that sticks you upside down ever again. I remember riding a skymaster at a county fair, and being scared s***less upon being stuck upside down for what felt like an eternity, with blood just rushing down to my head. I even cried "help!", if I recall correctly.

When I was 6 years old I rode Space Mountain at WDW and it quite literally imbued me with a full blown and severe case of coaster-phobia that sadly lasted for 20 years of my life (in other words, I spent the best young years of my life scared to death of anything any more intense than the old type of wild mouse you would find at a carnival (back in those days they didn't have all these new-fangled spinning and indoor mice like they have today) or a small local park. My phobia was so bad that I couldn't even watch commercials on tv for coasters and I was even super-leery about going to any parks for fear someone might try to force me on a coaster.

But my worst fear did indeed come true when I got invited to SFA back in 97' (the person who invited me assured me that we were only going to do the water park so I figured I'd be safe). The only coasters they had back then was the defunct Python (that day it was closed and I really breathed a sigh of relief as I found the thought of going upside down utterly terrifying), the Wild One and Mind Eraser. So I didn't want to look like a spoil-sport and I white-knuckled it thru Wild One (I was afraid of woodies but not anywhere near as bad as inverted coasters) and thought I was home-free until we came upon the Mind Eraser. To make a long story short I was unable to avoid that one and really thought I was going to die going up that lift hill (was way to afraid to even notice that my ears were being boxed in during the ride) - it brought back all those bad memories of Space Mountain. But then I was left with a persistent desire to ride that again and even more coasters. I guess for a while after that I had some minor trepidation as I went to different parks and did different types of coasters (Hypersonic at KD also had me scared as I'd never ridden a launched coaster or one with track so steep).

Since then, there have been a few coasters that have had me shaking in my shoes while in line. Two of those are at CP - Millennium Force and TTD - both of those had me in some serious fear (wanted to chicken out and thought hard about doing so) at first ride. Also had some reservations about the drop on Griffon due to it stopping on the edge, but those fears were unfounded. The only coasters today that might give me a bit of a pause are those that are launched - the only reason being that I'm always afraid it will catch me off guard. Being that I hate drop towers (not afraid of them, just find the sensation very unpleasant for some reason + there's no "recovery" that allows me to relax and breathe after the being startled by the drop like with coasters that have those startling elements, like any with launches and drops from a standstill like Griffon, whereas drop rides just leave me sitting there gasping for breath when the ride is over) I was mildly concerned about the drop in Verbolten but it was brief and I was able to figure out where it was in the ride w/o seeing any POVs and therefore I was expecting it.

^^I can attest to going to SFA back in 97 & having to ride python the first time seeing as wild one was down at the time on one of our visits with the climb up to the platform being scary enough but the reverse launch being worse.

Another ride that scared the mess outta me was their defunct roto-shake,I can recall standing in the line to ride just shaking in my shoes hoping for a way to get out of it but after the first ride I actually enjoyed it...sad that the ride's reliability became so poor that it was removed for the 05 season though.

Wow... glad I'm not the only one who fears 1st generation intamin drop towers. Mine was "Freefall" at Six Flags Great Adventure. I avoided it for years, despite being tall enough to ride. One visit my oldest brother forced me on it... I was so scared, I cried at the top of the tower. Once it was done, I said "that was it?!"... despite it being less scary than I imagined it would be, it will always give me anxiety... (looking at you "Demon Drop" Dorney Park) I'm happy a few of those towers still exist.

For me, it would be Bombs Away (a.k.a, Proslide SuperLoop of Hot Death) at Raging Waters SJ. The SkyBox capsule was very claustrophobic, and I thought the trapdoor was going to open prematurely. When it did open, it was 8 long seconds of not being able to see s**t, getting insanely ridiculous amounts of water in my face. I could NOT breathe the ENTIRE way down, and I thought I was going to suffocate! One of the most terrifying moments I have ever experienced at ANY park, wet or dry.

The scariest ride I've been on is the SCAD Tower @ Tivoli Friheden in Denmark... Roller coasters never scare me, but I was seriously terrified on my way up the SCAD tower. The experience itself was great fun and actually quite pleasant - I would've done it again if it hadn't been an upcharge. I can recommend it to anyone.

My first time I ever went on Shiekra at Busch Gardens.

I remember it now, heart racing, sweaty palms, shallow breathing, the whole shabang.

I was genuinely praying going up the lift hill I was so worried I might die if we came off the track...

Now it's one of my favourite coasters but man that was a scary first ride.

I agree! I almost chickened out and ran away...

Apparently I have a slight fear of heights, so for me it is the drop tower rides and the sky coasters. Of course that fear is what makes the rides "must do's" when I visit the parks. I can't wait to Lex Luthers Drop of Doom, it guaranteed to freak me out.

This is completely funny to me as I love sky diving.

While not really a roller coaster, Drop Out at Raging Waters is the scariest "ride" I have ever been on. But it has been a few years since I've been on it. One of these days I need to go back and give it another try.