TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg Vs Kings Dominion

Hi There

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I am visiting my cousin in Richmond next week with my kids (5 & 7). His kids are 4 & 6 so we thought we would plan a trip to a theme park. I have been to both parks, admittedly many years ago, but can't remember which is better suited to younger children. From looking at the websites it would appear that BG is still a nicer looking park, however there doesn't appear to be as many rides for the kids, is this the case or are they just not advertising them on there?

I can't speak for his kids, but mine are probably on the more timid side when it comes to rides. The kiddie coaster is fine, but a Log Flume for example would be too much for them. We visited BG Tampa earlier this year, and they loved it. The Sesame Street area in particular was very popular with them.

Thanks for looking, and any advice

Jon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BGW has a very nice Sesame Street area as well. Personally I prefer Busch over KD for my kids. It's more an atmosphere thing for me but I will admit that I haven't been to KD in the last few seasons.

Depends on what will keep the kids happy.

KD has a Water Park within the park that is included in admission. KD also had Dinosaurs Alive this year, but it is a $5 up charge, that the kids might enjoy. KD's kids area, Planet Snoopy, is in a relatively shady area of the park and offers a decent variety of flat rides that can be found at most parks and carnivals. It also offers two kiddie coasters. It is in a separate section of the park, so you could confine yourselves to the Water Park and Planet Snoopy.

The bad thing about KD is the park is not as family friendly as BGW. On weekends, the waterpark can be extremely crowded and overrun with groups of teenagers, line cutting, fighting, etc.

BGW gets my vote for atmosphere and family friendliness. In addition to the Sesame Street Forest of Fun area, BGW has attractions and rides for kids spread throughout the park. One area my daughter used to enjoy was the Land of the Dragons area near Germany. She loved exploring the Giant Tree House and she would cool off in the water feature nearby. She would literally have spent the entire day there, if we would have let her. She also liked the kiddie rides in Italy and the spaghetti.

Also, the food at BGW beats KD by a long shot. There is just no comparison. I have trouble deciding where we are going to eat when at BGW because all the food is so good. At KD I try to avoid eating there (except Chik Fila) because the food is that bad. The only decent food I have found at KD are their funnel cakes, and Rita's.

I think your kids would have fun at either park. I think the adults will have a more enjoyable time at BGW.

Regards,

RIP...

Thank you both so much

That is just the type of information I was after!

BGW it is then for this trip. Next time I am on my own visiting, I will take a trip to KD as there are a few coasters there I would love to try.

We are planning on visiting next Wednesday, but I am guessing that most Kids have finished school now, so any day will be busy.

thanks again

Jon