TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

June 2013 Trip Planning

LaMapa

I am going on a nationwide roller coaster trip in June 2013 and I am looking for some recommendations for parks to visit. I can go anywhere in the US. Do you have any recommendations for the top 10-15 coaster parks? Thanks!!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's honestly difficult for us to answer such a broad question like that. Give us a bit more information on what your interests are, where you want to go, etc.

We really can't give you the information you're requesting without a bit more from you, sorry.

--Robb

I agree with Elissa. Planning a cross country tour like that is difficult and exhausting. I have done it several times, but I don't just ride roller coasters. If you take a TPR trip it will be the most fun you have ever had and you can just enjoy the parks instead of having the stress of planning everything!

• 1 month later...

Ok, well i do have limited time so the trip can't be any more than 14 days. It looks like I will be flying into Cincinnati and heading over to Kings Island, then up to CP, over to Hershey and SFGAdv, then down to Kings Dominion and Dollywood before returning to Cincinnati for the flight home. I know I will be spending 2 days at CP, but are there any other parks where I should do in 2 days?

Also, would you recommend any other parks along this route that I should visit in addition to/instead of the parks I am planning to visit? Thanks!

I'd definitely add Knoebel's to your list. Probably about 1 1/2 hours from Hershey. You could also consider Busch Gardens Williamsburg. I would however agree with Elissa's recommendation to do a TPR trip. She and Robb take care of everything, and you don't have to worry about driving.

You should definitely visit Kennywood. Kennywood is about 4 hrs. from Hersheypark and 3 1/2 hrs. from Cedar Point. And I will also echo what has been said above, a TPR US Trip would be convenient, but it is your decision.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree these trips are exhausting and the hotel planning is enough to make you insane. We have take two muti week trips and they are rough and you can NEVER get everything done.

This summer we ended up at a lot of places that new hotness and leviathan went to. Here is how it went.

It went like this:

July 27th - Six Flags great america

July 28th - Driving day

July 29th - Canada's wonderland

July 30th - Darien lake (we missed marineland and martins fantasy island)

July 30th - Knobles (only had an hour to ride

Coasters)

July 31st - Hershey Park (missed Kennywood and others)

Aug 1st - Six Flags Great Adventure

Aug 2nd - Dorney Park

Aug 3rd - Six Flags America

Aug 4th - Kings Dominion

Aug 5th - Busch Gardens

Aug 6th - Drove to Charlotte and started doing

Carowinds because of weather

Aug 7th - Finished Carowinds

Aug 8th - drove to pigeon forge tn

Aug 9th - went to Dollywood

Aug 10th - Lake Winnie

Aug 11th - six Flags over GA

We drove 4000 miles on the trip rode 122 different coasters

But there were a few other places we would have liked to have gone to. You have to an on being at a place til it closes and plan on the drive associated with it. You also have to decide if you want to do other stuff along the way.

Have fun on what you end up planning. I think we are doing a tpr trip next year.

^ and I thought our itinerary was ambitious!

Did our own north east tour in June which went great, the original schedule was as follows:

Day 1 NYC and Coney island

Day 2 Dorney

Day 3 Hershey

Day 4 Knoebels

Day 5 Martin's fantasy island

Day 6 Waldameer

Day 7 Cedar Point

Day 8 Kennywood

Day 9 Kings Dominion

Day 10 Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Day 11 Six Flags America

Day 12 Six Flags Great Adventure

Our actual plan ended up being a little different due to various reasons but generally I was really satisfied with what we took in given the time.

^I have to agree. Once you're going to more than 3 or 4 parks in a row, it's just exhausting to do all of the planning, booking, driving, etc... not to mention you won't get any ERT or added perks. More power to you if you can plan a two week coaster trip, but a tour is the easier and more enjoyable thing to do!

Agree with you all here that if you can go on a TPR organized tour then you'll have a much better experience, we enjoyed our self planned trip but it was tiring and took a lot of effort in the booking stages. Unfortunately I get "told" when I'm to take vacation time in my profession but hoping to get on my first TPR tour next year.