150 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Best Eurofighter?

• Typhoon - Bobbejaanland
    • Vild-Svinet - BonBon-Land
    • Speed:No Limits - Oakwood Theme Park
    • Rage - Adventure Island
    • Mystery Mine - Dollywood
    • Iron Shark - Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier
    • SpongeBob SquarePants Rock Bottom Plunge - Nickelodeon Universe(MoA)
    • Falcon - Duinrell
    • SAW: The Ride - Thrope Park
    • Curse of Novgorod - Hansa Park
    • Huracan - Belantis
    • Dare Devil Dive - Six Flags Over Georgia
    • Untamed - Canobie Lake Park
    • Takabisha - Fuji-Q Highland

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been on Saw the Ride and Speed No Limits and out of the two I preferred Saw. I know many call Speed the greatest Eurofighter on Earth, and I do love its first drop and insanely awesome airtime hill, but the incredibly rough transition from the over bank turn into the vertical loop is unforgivable for me.

Saw's theming and dark ride section give it the upper hand IMO, and in my experience with the two rides, Saw was overall the smoother of the two. Sure, it doesn't have Speed's OMFG AMAZING airtime hill, but it still has a very decent airtime hill of its own.

• 4 months later...

1. Mystery Mine: I could do without the roughness, but the ride mostly makes up for it with extensive theming and a few thrilling surprises (that I truly did not know to expect, despite a basic knowledge of the ride). The combination of elements and theming make it feel pretty complete, and I remember some decent forces as well.

2. Iron Shark: Wow! This one is surprisingly intense from start to finish. While it would still be exciting if you stuck it in an average park, the setting by the water does add a lot to the overall experience, even moreso than I was expecting. The first drop delivers what feels like it would be stand-up airtime with a higher lapbar (and the comfy lapbars do allow for a decent amount of ejection and plenty of freedom overall). Then the ride provides all kinds of fun and perhaps-unexpected forces. While it's short for a major coaster, it's definitely more than satisfying for a Eurofighter.

3. Dare Devil Dive: While not the most memorable coaster out there, this felt like it had a bit more to it than some of the other Eurofighters. Of course, I'm fully in favor of the lapbar trains. Plus, a bit of plane theming never hurts!

4. SpongeBob: This ride had some fun forces in a couple spots but definitely felt short, so I'm only a minor fan. I do like the unusual indoor setting, though.

5. Untamed: The only full-on disappointment of the bunch. Uncomfortable, short, and boring past the first drop. While I did ride it 10 times in a row, stopping after 1 or so would've been fine, too.

One thing I've noticed about Eurofighters: it's not the number of inversions that matters!

Untamed and Mystery Mine are by far the roughest I've been on.

If you take a whole package of theming, smoothness and overall ride, Fluch Von Novgorod is my personal favorite. Easily re-ridable for the most part. I remember it being smooth throughout until that last jump into the station where it feels like it knocks your head off.

Saw was also pretty good and a close second.

Agree this type of poll has a bit of golden-ticket-itis In that very few have been on all of them to properly vote.

I thought Dare Devil Dive was fun. I'm glad I didn't have to wait in a long, slow line on a super busy day. I wonder what the ride would be without the holding brake on the drop. I liked the restraints on it.

I was disappointed by Mystery Mine. It was very bumpy in the middle part. It felt like a Wild Mouse on steroids. I can see why the newer versions don't have over the shoulder restraints. I did not like the fireball at the top of the second lift. I knew it was coming yet still inhaled a lungful of exhaust. The area was under an air pollution warning that day as NOx-ville is a particularly polluted region (the forests at the top of the Smokies are in decline, in part from the smog). Wild Eagle's view of the mountains was great even if the air time was toned down.

• 2 years later...

So far, my only Eurofighter is Spongebob Squarepants Rock Bottom Plunge at NU, which I think is a short but very fun ride with a great first drop. I think that the best looking Eurofighter out there is Dare Devil Dive because it has lap bars and a really interesting layout. I wish there were more Eurofighters out there, as a lot of parks could really improve if they got one.

I've ridden Mystery Mine, Dare Devil Dive, and Untamed (ranked in that order). Mystery Mine is pretty rough, but the layout and theming is great. It's by far my favorite ride at Dollywood. Dare Devil Dive has great trains, but I find its layout to be incredibly boring, especially after the MCBR. Untamed just beats the daylights out of you. Once was enough for me.

I've only ridden Spongebob Squarepants Rock Bottom Plunge, and it is one of the best coasters I have ridden! Nice airtime, great zero-roll, an overall great layout, and the drop is one of the most surprising and intense drops I have ridden.

I've only ridden Mystery Mine and untamed but I didn't find either ride rough at all. I enjoyed both but I absolutely LOVE Mystery Mine. It's my favorite coaster at Dollywood (though all of their coasters are great) and I rank this coaster way higher than most people do... around #10 overall out of about 240 coasters. It's incredibly unique, it has one of the best finales of any coaster anywhere... it has a surprise drop that comes out of nowhere in the outdoor section and the theming is awesome for a non Disney / Universal park in the U.S.

Every enthusiast has a few coasters that they rank way higher than everyone else and for me Mystery Mine is one of them. I love everything about that ride.

Here's how I'd rank the Euro-Fighters.

#1. Fluch Von Novgorod @ Hansa Park - Easily my favorite Euro Fighter. It's got the best of both worlds with a launch and a beyond 90 degree drop, nice airtime, twisty inversions, and some fantastic theming. Just an overall great ride.

#2. Iron Shark @ Gavelston Pier - It may be compact, but man does this thing kick ass. Very twisty layout and a perfect fit for the boardwalk.

#3. Spongebob Squarepants Rock Bottom Plunge @ Nickelodeon Universe - Fun drop, nice twisty Zero G Roll, plus that bonus pop of airtime after the loop.

#4. Vild Svinet @ Bon Bon Land - Hey, it's the original Euro Fighter. And though it may be a little rough around the edges, it's still fun to this day.

#5. Untamed @ Canobie Lake Park - I'm not sure why this one seemed rough in certain spots, but it did. Had a good layout though and I still enjoyed it.

I've only had the chance to ride Rock Bottom Plunge and Mystery Mine. Spongebob definitely has the classic "Euro-Fighter" feel with the simple hill, compact layout, and lots of positive g's. The Mystery Mine seemed more "Dark-Fighter" as it is half dark ride. It is a great ride, but it doesn't have the true euro-fighter feel for me.

I'm yet to ride one of these but perhaps I will do Saw next year which is the one I find the most interesting (even though it might be rough) as the pacing looks great (especially that bit after the MCBR).