TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT2] A.J. Does Retro Scenarios!

I knew I did the right thing by performing a Wine installation of RCT Deluxe! Just four days after I did it, my disc got crushed under a sofa!

So, I'm taking all the scenarios from the original RCT and re-making them in RCT2, because I have multiple copies of RCT2!

I know that there have been several instances of people re-making scenarios, and I understand that. I really want to make my scenarios as authentic as possible while still incorporating all the cool stuff that was put into RCT2, like the new attractions and themes.

As a bonus, each scenario ZIP file contains custom paths that match the original RCT styles! For example, all of the scenarios that I re-create from the no-expansions original game will only include four pathways - tarmac, dirt, crazy-paving, and tan tile; all with brown lattice supports.

Obviously the scenarios with a lot of attractions in them already (I'm already dreading Megaworld Park) will take longer, while the "sandbox"-style scenarios won't take as long. I don't have a planned release schedule, it will always be "when I finish them".

WARNING - If you downloaded Forest Frontiers, Dynamite Dunes, Leafy Lake, Diamond Heights, Evergreen Gardens, Mel's World, and/or Gentle Glen before May 22 2012, please CLICK HERE!

Finished Scenarios

RCT #01 - Forest Frontiers

RCT #02 - Dynamite Dunes

RCT #03 - Leafy Lake

RCT #04 - Diamond Heights (this post)

RCT #05 - Evergreen Gardens

RCT #06 - Bumbly Beach

RCT #13 - Mel's World

Corkscrew Follies #09 - Gentle Glen

Corkscrew Follies #21 - Adrenaline Heights

Loopy Landscapes #06 - Vertigo Views

Loopy Landscapes #19 - Octagon Park

Loopy Landscapes #24 - Nevermore Park

Progress (in order of production)

RCT #12 - Karts & Coasters (by request)

Corkscrew Follies #06 - Haunted Harbor (by request)

RCT #16 - Crumbly Woods (by request)

Corkscrew Follies #13 - Magic Quarters (by request)

RCT #08 - Katie's World (by request)

Loopy Landscapes #23 - Tiny Towers

Loopy Landscapes #11 - Grand Glacier

RCT #07 - Trinity Islands

Loopy Landscapes #17 - Frightmare Hills (by request)

RCT #14 - Mothball Mountain (by request)

Corkscrew Follies #05 - Funtopia (by request)

While this is the order I will produce the scenarios in, there are NO solid release dates.

So, here's the first one! Or, it's the fourth one, Diamond Heights!

AJR_R04.BMP

GAME EXCHANGE LINK

Diamond Heights is largely unchanged from its predecessor. Arachnaphobia, which was originally a Mini Roller Coaster, was re-made using the RCT2 Spiral Coaster track system due to the Junior coaster track not being able to do steep drops. As a result, the capacity per train has been reduced from 8 to 6, but there are more trains. The objective is exactly the same - double the park value. When the guest count reached 550, the park value was at about $175,000.

I will gladly take requests for specific scenarios! However, I refuse to do the three real-life parks at this point.

Have fun!

Edited by A.J.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember the name of the scenario, but it had a mine coaster in a ditch, and I think it was Egyptian, or desert themed, that was one of my favorite RCT scenarios, if you could remake that that'd be great.

Also really glad to see this first one, another one of my favorites, def. brings back good memories. Excellent work!

^The scenario is called dynamite dunes.

I really like that you made this. This is probably one of the hardest original maps to remake because of all the hills and water. Well done. Also might i say that you can get a DRM free, completely legal copy of all RCT games on gog.com (good old games). I find it hard to get any elsewhere.

Dynamite Dunes? Sure! It was pretty simple and didn't take me very long.

Here's the second RCT scenario, Dynamite Dunes!

AJR_R02.BMP

GAME EXCHANGE LINK

Dynamite Dunes is almost completely unchanged from its predecessor. The only difference is that the tunnel at the very end of Dynamite Blaster is the normal cliff texture as opposed to the light brick one in the original game.

Have any scenario requests? Please tell me!

Have fun!

Absolutely! That's a quick one!

Here's the very first RCT scenario, Forest Frontiers!

AJR_R01.BMP

GAME EXCHANGE LINK

Forest Frontiers is exactly unchanged. It even has its original objective of 250 guests in one year.

Next up for release is Mel's World by request.

Have fun!

I'm loving these, AJ! The RCT1 scenarios were always my favorites in the series. I built countless parks in Forest Frontiers, Leafy Lake and Dynamite Dunes way back in the day (wow, that's a lot of alliteration!). These bring back some good memories. Thanks!

I've put a "Progress" list on the first post of the thread to let everyone know where their requests stand.

Here's the thirteenth RCT scenario, Mel's World!

AJR_R13.BMP

GAME EXCHANGE LINK

Mel's World is largely unchanged. The most noticeable change is that Flightmare, the scenario's inverted coaster, has been re-made using the Compact Inverted Coaster type due to the Inverted Coaster type not being able to have two-across cars.

Next up for release is Gentle Glen from Corkscrew Follies.

Have fun!

Edited by A.J.

Requests have been added to the list! Remember that I'm willing to do scenarios from either expansion (CF and LL) as well!

Speaking of Corkscrew Follies, here's its ninth scenario, Gentle Glen!

AJR_C09.BMP

GAME EXCHANGE LINK

Gentle Glen is completely unchanged.

Next up for release are Leafy Lake and Evergreen Gardens, and they will be released at the same time.

Have fun!

I always liked Haunted Harbor (CF) a lot, and it would be pretty cool to see that one recreated in RCT2. I know that it'll be a LOT of work, but it would be great to see the Blackpool scenario (LL) recreated at some point in the future, too. Great work so far!

On a side note- I couldn't download Mel's World in either Chrome, Firefox, or IE. The zip file was empty. Has anyone else had this issue, or is it just my own bad luck?

Yeah, must have been an issue with compression. Since the objects install on their own, it might be in my best interest to simply upload the SC6 file as opposed to including it and all the path files in a ZIP.

It has since been re-uploaded using only the SC6 file. Give it a shot.

EDIT: I'll add Haunted Harbor to the list, but not Blackpool, at least not yet.

Edited by A.J.

Thanks for redoing some of these scenarios. A couple of requests for future release:

Magic Quarters and Katie's World (the one with the mine train that resembles Lightwater's Ultimate).

Someone mentioned Blackpool but I'd like to see the Alton Towers park redone in RCT2.

Thanks for redoing some of these scenarios. A couple of requests for future release:

Magic Quarters and Katie's World (the one with the mine train that resembles Lightwater's Ultimate).

Someone mentioned Blackpool but I'd like to see the Alton Towers park redone in RCT2.

I will gladly take requests for specific scenarios! However, I refuse to do the three real-life parks at this point.

It doesn't hurt to read the first post - when he specifically said no real park recreations for the time being. Just a reminder.

Requests have been added to the list! Like I said in the first post, I don't want to do the real-life parks right now. They're really large and complicated, and if I do one I may lose interest.

Here's the third RCT scenario, Leafy Lake!

AJR_Leafy Lake.BMP

GAME EXCHANGE LINK

Leafy Lake is completely unchanged.

Also, the fifth RCT scenario, Evergreen Gardens!

AJR_Evergreen Gardens.BMP

GAME EXCHANGE LINK

The only change in this re-creation is that there are no guests in the park. In the original game, there was one tired and lonely guest roaming the park.

Next up for release is Nevermore Park from Loopy Landscapes!

Have fun!

WARNING! READ THIS NOW!

I have encountered several issues with some of the path files that I have used in these scenarios. They're nothing major, and they're only problems to me (such as not rendering correctly in RCT2); there aren't any viruses, trojans, etc in them.

Unfortunately, this has prompted me to replace some of the path files with new ones.

You are affected by this change if you have downloaded at least one of the following scenarios before May 22 2012 -

• Forest Frontiers
  • Dynamite Dunes
  • Leafy Lake
  • Diamond Heights
  • Evergreen Gardens
  • Mel's World
  • Gentle Glen

Fortunately, fixing the problem is easy! Unfortunately, if you have a saved game of one of the "outdated" scenarios, you won't be able to open it again because it has the old path files.

To replace your outdated paths and scenarios, follow these steps -

• Step 1 - go into your ObjData folder and delete all DAT files that have the prefix "AJR_".
  • Step 2 - go to your scenarios folder and delete the affected scenarios, listed above. They also have the "AJR_" prefix.
  • Step 3 - re-download and install the revised scenarios from the Game Exchange. The new paths will install automatically.

All scenarios created after this date, including Nevermore Park, will have the new, revised pathways. So, if you're only starting to download my scenarios today, you're okay! The "outdated" scenarios have already been replaced in the Game Exchange, so you can download them too. However, if you have one of the old scenarios and you install a revised one, you'll get duplicate DATs, and that's no fun!

Thanks for your understanding!

Here's the twenty-fourth Loopy Landscapes scenario, Nevermore Park!

AJR_Nevermore Park.BMP

GAME EXCHANGE LINK

Nevermore Park was a tricky one. The neutering of the Steel Mini coaster type into the Junior coaster type eliminated the ability to use steep drops with curved lift hills. I was able to use the spiral coaster type in Diamond Heights, but I wasn't so lucky this time. As such, the coaster in Nevermore Park is a lot more tame than its RCT counterpart; and the terrain has been modified to accommodate the Junior coaster type's height limits and layout.

Also, because of RCT2's inability to grant construction rights over pathways that lead to park entrances, guests are not able to make laps of the park in one direction. They will reach the point of no construction rights and immediately turn around. This is an unavoidable problem, unfortunately.

Keep those requests coming!

Next up is Bumbly Beach from the original RCT!

Have fun!

Edited by A.J.