TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tutorial - Run RCT and RCT2 Natively on Mac OS X!

The only other suggestion I can give you is to drag the application to the trash and try installing it again with a new wrapper. It's not perfect, and the results will vary from person to person.

Another solution that MAY work for you is to do a "Full" install of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, this can be done by clicking "Custom" when prompted with "typical", "compact", and "custom" installations.

I will do the same to make sure my own install was legitimate and not a fluke.

EDIT: I just reinstalled using the Wineskin 1.5.7 engine and the 1.5.8 engine and they both worked correctly following the steps in the tutorial, and using a "full" install. I also replaced RCT2.exe with a No-CD patch and it worked both times as well.

Edited by A.J.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That window normally appears on Windows 7 machines, and would require RCT2 to be run in compatibility mode. That's weird that you're getting it, because to my knowledge Wineskin is based around Windows XP.

While my already-made apps do work in Mac OS 10.8 (which I see you're running), I have yet to make one from scratch using 10.8. When I get some time, I'll update everything and give it a shot.

My recommendation at this time is to delete your app and try installing it again. Download the 1.5.3, 1.5.7, or 1.5.8 engine to install the game with, as I've tested all three of those.

Edited by A.J.

The Windows XP patch is only for the original RollerCoaster Tycoon (RCT1) with no expansions. That's the first game, the blue disc. The window you have in your screenshot says you're trying to run RollerCoaster Tycoon 2.

I totally didn't realize that you were trying to install the patch as opposed to trying to run the game for the first time.

If you're trying to install the patch on RCT2, it won't work because it doesn't NEED the patch.

Edited by A.J.

The last thing I can tell you to do is to use the Virtual Desktop mode in the Wineskin. It's been mentioned multiple times in the thread, I'm not writing the entire procedure again.

No. I have the actual Wine application on my own Mac as well, and I don't have any problems.

All I can tell you now is - your results may vary. Keep tweaking until you get it. You might want to pick up a newer copy of the game from somewhere like Good Old Games, but only if you're dead serious on wanting to play that game.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, First off I used the tutorial, it was very well explained, thank you! but Ive been having a problem, after i start playing and if i save the screen gets discolored, same when i load, i tried different screen settings..but nothing is working? any idea what could be done?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't create separate Wineskin applications for the two expansion packs. Instead, go to the Wineskin you created for the original game, click "Install Software", "Choose Setup Executable", then find the setup.exe for whichever expansion pack you're using. Make sure that RCT2.exe is still the executable that runs after you install the expansion pack.

Don't create separate Wineskin applications for the two expansion packs. Instead, go to the Wineskin you created for the original game, click "Install Software", "Choose Setup Executable", then find the setup.exe for whichever expansion pack you're using. Make sure that RCT2.exe is still the executable that runs after you install the expansion pack.

Ok did that. Wacky Worlds works, but time twister will install but when I try to load a saved game that comes up in the menu, it says that Time Twister is not installed. It seems like it is loading the scenario data but not the game data?

I'm just thrilled I got one working!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've searched through all the posts in this thread and has anyone receieved the error "No disc inserted" when they try to test? The RCT2 app will launch to full black screen but then give me the error of "No disc inserted", even though I have the RCT2_TTP disc inserted.684889695_Screenshot2012-09-06at10_51_07PM.thumb.png.51822b30b5296f13ffe23c4615217268.png

No disc insterted

I'm using WS8Wine 1.3.0 (the WS9 1.3.0 wasn't available in list of engines) and wrapper 2.5.6. I've tried the newest engine and the oldest WS9 which was a 1.4 version. I'm using OS 10.6.8

I'm wondering if it would work if I could get a RCT2.exe noCD "patch" file. I own the game (duh I have the disc) but for some reason the app is not recognizing my CD drive.

Any help would be appreciated, this is a great game and thanks for the tutorial!

The log files after my test run read (see below).

Also, the file structure

fixme:cdrom:CDROM_Verify not implemented for non-linux

fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 2d4800 (device=2d access=1 func=200 method=0)

and

WineskinX11: main(): argc=12

Waiting for startup parameters via Mach IPC.

WineskinX11: do_start_x11_server(): argc=12

Attempting to use pixel depth of 24

[2661496.799] WineskinX11 starting:

[2661496.799] X.Org X Server 1.12.3

[2661496.799] Build Date: 20120729

[2661496.898] (II) GLX: Initialized Core OpenGL GL provider for screen 0

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2 Processor Name: Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB L3 Cache: 3 MB Memory: 4 GB Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C SMC Version (system): 1.58f16 Sudden Motion Sensor: State: Enabled

About the "no disc inserted" error - doing a no-CD patch .exe replacement might do the trick for you. If it doesn't, I would suggest re-installing the game by dragging the old app to the trash and starting with a clean wrapper. Your configuration is interesting - it's the exact same setup as my Macbook, but you're still running Snow Leopard.

I'm using WS8Wine 1.3.0 (the WS9 1.3.0 wasn't available in list of engines) and wrapper 2.5.6. I've tried the newest engine and the oldest WS9 which was a 1.4 version.

Where'd you get that? The earliest engine I used to install the game in my tests is 1.5.3. I didn't use anything from 1.3.x.

Honestly, everyone who's having trouble, I have not been able to reproduce the white box/black screen error you're getting.

I do not have my install disc with me at school, so I'm unable to do some tests on newer wrappers at this point. However! I will do a complete update of the guide in the near future.

Edited by A.J.

• 4 weeks later...

No, unfortunately. Trainers must be run in the same desktop space as the game itself, and that can only be done (to my knowledge) when running the full-blown Windows operating system.

Well this came out of left field.

I didn't install the game the exact same way you did, instead I followed this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t435pgYq12M

Anyway, so I was just messing around with files and decided to try and open the 8 car trainer and it pops up in the same RCT2 window and actually works! It's a little glitchy (I have to open it up after every action), but it's still awesome!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey.. I'm also having the black box, I'm on Snow Leopard 10.6.7 and I installed the latest engine "WS9Wine1.5.16" and the wrapper version "Wineskin-2.5.8".. Is it the reason of my problem? Because without that I did exactly what you said..

I installed the Triple Thrill Pack in a french version, they didn't asked me for a full or minimal installation..

Please when someone have the solution tell us, I'm waiting to play this game on my mac for so long..!

(sorry for poor english!)

Hey I finally found the solution!!!!!

I made all the things said in this tutorial, I installed my RCT2 Triple Thrill Pack but I had that famous black box.

So I went on GameCopyWorld (http://www.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_rollercoaster_tycoon_2.shtml) and downloaded the "Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 v1.0 [ENGLISH] No-CD/Fixed EXE" NO cd patch.

I removed the rct2.exe normally selected for lauching the game in Wineskin by this NoCd patch and it worked!

Hope it will works for you guys !!!

(sorry for poor english)