TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Goodbye Six Flags Astroworld - Park Closing in 2005

From what I understand, Astroworld has been having problems recently with the Astrodome and replacement stadium and the shared parking situation. Its not a complete suprise that Six Flags would finally give in and throw in the towel. Considering the lack of serious investment, I doubt the park was running at a loss. But if they were unable to work out a deal for parking that still keeps the park in the black, they would have no choice but to close.

And knowing 6 Flags, they are counting the number of free rides they can add to parks in 2007. I want SFMM or SFMW to get Ultra Twister, SWAT, Diablo Falls, and the Intamin Giant Drop. I don't know if Astroworld had and good flats, but maybe SFMM would put one in if they didn't have to pay for it. Of course the rides would be better spent if sent to one of the smaller, non-flaged parks that SF Corp seems to have forgotten about.

Oh... 1 more question. Is Greased Lightning the Fly-Wheel or Weight Drop Shuttle coaster. Not that 6 Flags will be in any hurry to rebuild it since they still have the one at SFMW.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too shocked to see it. It did always seem to get the hand me down coasters and what not.. too bad though. I never liked the park but it did have some decent coasters.. I would ride the Texas Cyclone over any other wood in TX and Greezed Lightning.. classic! Hopefully a few of the coasters will be saved like you all said.

Eric

From what I understand, Astroworld has been having problems recently with the Astrodome and replacement stadium and the shared parking situation.

It's not the AstroDome that's causing the problem. Er, caused. It's the newer Reliant Arena, where the Texas play. The Authority over the parking, fought legal battles over possession of the park. Essentially, they wanted more room for their VIPs... For futher information on the events that happened regarding the parking situation, visit: http://www.saveastroworld.com.

Oh... 1 more question. Is Greased Lightning the Fly-Wheel or Weight Drop Shuttle coaster.

It's one of few remaining Schwarzkopf Fly-Wheel Shuttle Roller Coasters. Man, that thing is a beast. (Beat me to it, Greg.)

say goodbye to the following

Ultra Twister - Its a Togo, no one wants it.

XLR8R - Arrow suspended might be too much to move. Look for it to be spare parts. =(

Texas Cyclone - I dont know but this thing rocked a$$ the last time I rode it, but it does seem that parks are not crazy about moving the older wooden coasters.

Batman - yep shockwave has met its end.

Matt - I doubt Greezed Lightning will make it out either, remember SF already has a Shuttle Loop that is sitting in a parking lot.

Totally shocking decision, but I guess it makes sense since the land is worth so much $$$.

Its a shame though that Six Flags didn't try to just move the park elsewhere in the city, since it is the 4th largest market in the country.

Actually San Fran is market 4. Houston is market #7 -- But I know what ya mean.

Anyway... good riddance to bad rubbish.

I think this park is better off as a multi level parking garage -- Condos -- and maybe a stip mall. Just my opinion. :?

^ Are you SURE about that? I find the following information on the top US cities:

New York, New York (pop 8,084,316)

Los Angeles, California (pop 3,798,981)

Chicago, Illinois (pop 2,886,251)

Houston, Texas (pop 2,009,834)

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (pop 1,492,231)

Phoenix, Arizona (pop 1,371,960)

San Diego, California (pop 1,259,532)

Dallas, Texas (pop 1,211,467)

San Antonio, Texas (pop 1,194,222)

Detroit, Michigan (pop 925,051)

San Francisco doesn't even make the top 10! According to national data, it's #13.

--Robb

^ Are you SURE about that? I find the following information on the top US cities:

New York, New York (pop 8,084,316)

Los Angeles, California (pop 3,798,981)

Chicago, Illinois (pop 2,886,251)

Houston, Texas (pop 2,009,834)

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (pop 1,492,231)

Phoenix, Arizona (pop 1,371,960)

San Diego, California (pop 1,259,532)

Dallas, Texas (pop 1,211,467)

San Antonio, Texas (pop 1,194,222)

Detroit, Michigan (pop 925,051)

San Francisco doesn't even make the top 10! According to national data, it's #13.

--Robb

Hmmm dunno where you pulled that from :? ... I just go by the data R & R, & Arbitron (Nielsen...etc) gives me, which is compiled on a quarterly

basis:

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=116&RY=2005&RQ=3&MP=1&OTHER=2&MN=Houston-Galveston&MS=TX&MR=7&12P=4296900&UP=8/25/2005%2012:00:00%20AM&SU=CM&BPER=16.1&HPER=26.3&OPER=&NSD=9/22/2005%2012:00:00%20AM&CE=0

[/img]

Radio and records, neilson, etc is great to know where the top markets for television, radio, and other printed entertainment media, but for park going locations which thrive off local demographics you need to use the top US cities population.

I too get monthly data on the sales of video games in the top US markets, but that's not the same markets for theme parks.

Here are a couple of good resources.

http://www.city-data.com/top1.html

http://www.worldfactsandfigures.com/top_50_uscities.php

--Robb "Data which is good for one medium isn't always correct for another." Alvey

Radio and records, neilson, etc is great to know where the top markets for television, radio, and other printed entertainment media, but for park going locations which thrive off local demographics you need to use the top US cities population.

I too get montly data on the sales of video games in the top US markets, but that's not the same markets for theme parks.

Here are a couple of good resources.

http://www.city-data.com/top1.html

http://www.worldfactsandfigures.com/top_50_uscities.php

--Robb "Data which is good for one medium isn't always correct for another." Alvey

Gotcha... Thnx for the info, Robb!

Kenny kicked out of park was only because his friends show people he liked. He just wants have fun at Astroworld and nobody loves him he go now.

Goodbye Astroworld.

-Brent "that was only for the RRCers" Kneebush

And for for the biggest markets you need to check Metropolitan Areas not core city size.

Here are the 10 Biggest metropolitan areas in the US.

1 New York 20,124,377

2 Los Angeles 15,781,273

3 Chicago 8,809,846

4 Washington 7,285,206

5 San Francisco 6,816,047

6 Philadelphia 5,988,348

7 Boston 5,633,060

8 Detroit 5,457,583

9 Dallas 4,802,463

10 Houston 4,407,579

Look at Detroit, this is why Cedar Point has far more Michigan cars in the parking lot then Ohio cars on any given day.

Ok...lets just say it and be honest: The park has been on the decline for nearly 2 decades, SF hasnt sunken money into this park since the late 80s and it showed. I know its sad when something you enjoyed is closed down, but this maybe the shot in the backside houston will need to actually attract this long-rumored "Disney Texas" project that has set on the back burner for years.

I've heard good things about the Texas Cyclone, I'd love to hear the Knoebels are recreating their first coaster save, TX to PA again. What could a renamed cyclone be called? Is this coaster disimilar enough to warrant interest by them?

As for the rest? I couldn't say, but lots of validity to most of the points brought up so far. Cheap expansion projects for the rest of the chain, but age is a factor for most of these rides, and 6F isn't reknowned for outstanding maintenance at most of the chain.

Chris B

I'm only sad for nostalgic reasons. I visited the park for the first time in '70, attended many concerts there (Wham!, Huey Lewis, Billy Idol, The Outfield), and worked at WaterWorld the summer of '88. I took my daughter about 8 years ago and the place had lost all of its charm and I was disgusted by some of the upkeep. I never got used to driving by and not seeing the AstroNeedle. While I'm sad to see a place close that has so many great memories for me, I think it was time.

I somehow doubt the rides will all be moved. They are putting it up for sale which means they hope someone will come in, buy it and operate it. Dont get your hopes up for things to be moved.

Actually, they are selling and removing everything that sits on that site. The park and all it's rides will be removed, rides probaly dispatched to other SF Parks, while the land is refurbished, and will be used for some type of building they said, to economicly enhance the houston area.