TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Park in Houston Area (Grand Texas Theme Park)

It looks like the park is moving ahead but slowly. I would put the theme park in 2018 as an opening date. They have a lot of stuff on their plate to get open next year and there will be delays. If you read the report the theme park opening is based on a electrical sub station being completed in 2017 to supply the power.

However there is always a 'but'

However, the construction of the theme park is contingent upon the addition of a new Entergy electricity substation near Splendora, which is expected to break ground within the next few months and complete in 2017, Galland said. The updated Grand Texas master plan revealed existing power grids in the area were unable to accommodate the electricity needed to fuel the rides planned for the theme park, he said.

Seems like the original plan lacked some planning. Still not going to hold my breath, but even if half of this gets built(would appear the waterpark is a done deal) it will still be great for Houston.

The first phase of the theme park will span 71 acres and will offer one wooden rollercoaster engineered by the same company that produced the Twisted Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain in California, Galland saId

If all they got built at the theme park was a RMC near me. I be like...

The article doesn't say this, but I strongly suspect that this proposal has the same problem that the Earthquest project had: a lack of money. Call me cynical, but when these developers start their laundry list of excuses for delays and regularly update their plans for the media without any real visible progress, the real issue almost always leads back to a lack of funding. I hope at least part of it comes together, but I'm not holding my breath.

• 2 months later...

So this park is still trying. The last few days, the park has been posting more on Facebook. And they posted this on their website.

Grand Texas Rapidly Developing Infrastructure

Jul 24, 2015 | Blog

With its water plant now online, Grand Texas has begun clearing for interior roads and along Highway 242 in order to provide water and sewer to sites on both sides. One of those sites is at the corner of Highway 242 and I69, where Valero has already begun construction of a new Corner Store

11059509_851771954891480_7750388924478070785_n.thumb.jpg.09c4f4492840b8cb66d745602f33b1c3.jpg

A whole lot of land clearing the last few months. Who knows?

I just don't know what to think. I want to have hope, but I cant help feel this is a lost cause. The proposed Garfield park had land clearing too, so I guess I just need something more solid to put faith back into this project. I'm not trying to be a negative nancy. Just apprehensive.

Nice! I think this project is still moving right along. As explained before, they had issues with their original civil engineering plans that threw a wrench in the original timeline. There's nothing terribly out of the ordinary about that, major projects like this have stuff like that happen all the time. Some high rise projects take 5 years or more to get started after they are first announced.

Seeing real infrastructure work get started is a big step in the right direction. I'm not expecting the theme park to be built for awhile, but I'm sure the water park will arrive by 2018 at least though. Patience.

• 2 months later...

^That's excellent news actually. RV parks are pretty easy to turn a profit. No breakfast, maid service, or other expenses like hotels usually have. Just minimal reservations, custodial, and security staff. An RV park in that location could do quite well even without a theme park, so that should get some cash rolling in--and cash flow produces investors!

• 7 months later...

The news for the new park has really slowed down. Its too bad things were not quite on track as originally planned. I really had a lot of interest in this development.

It has certainly taken them a long time to finish the RV park, but it is almost done. Sounds like they want to start on the water park by next year, and maybe the theme park by 2020?

Seems like they went into this with little capital and are basing it all on speculation regarding investors and selling some of the plots to other developers. However, they are slowly but surely pushing forward. Like pushing a boulder up a hill.

I spoke with someone recently who is part of this project. The water park just got pushed back again. Which in return is pushing back the theme park another two to three years. They do a decent job updating their Facebook but not much going on now.

• 4 months later...

Great news! They're setting this up for success. The RV park can bring in revenue as they build out the parks. Racing is big in Texas. Not as big as American football, but still big. They start getting some events, get people to camp there, and those people see the construction, it's going to generate aome excitement.

This is from their website. "Big Rivers Waterpark, Gator Bayou Adventure Park, Speedsportz Racing Park and The Sportsplex will begin this year; all have an anticipated opening date in 2017. Construction for the Grand Texas Theme Park will begin once Big Rivers Waterpark is in operation and the estimated time of construction is 18-24 months." So yup the Big Rivers Waterpark is next with the others this year, then next is the Grand Texas Theme Park! Wishing them a lot of luck on the way.

Here's their website so someone here can change it on the first page

http://grandtx.com/