TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hand that toy back now!!

Some children end up in tears if they don't win a prize at a theme park.

But Ashley Osborne's children aged six and ten were left fuming - after winning two at the American Adventure.

He says he and his children were surrounded by six staff members and ordered to hand over the giant cuddly toy they had won - because park rules say it is only one prize per person at each stall.

And after refusing to give up their giant fish toy, the family felt compelled to leave after just two hours.

"The kids were terrified, they thought they were in real trouble," said Mr Osborne, an engineer.

The family from Colwick paid £60 to get into the park. Many of the bigger rides were closed because of renovations, but Abbie, ten, headed for the Leaning Ladder, where youngsters win a giant fish if they climbed a rope ladder, rang a bell, and climbed down again without falling off.

"We changed £20 and Abbie had loads of goes," said Mr Osborne. "We must have spent the full £20, but eventually she won the toy."

Abbie returned later and won a fish for her brother Bradley, six.

Pleased with their win, they walked away but a member of the park staff ran after them and told them they had broken the rules. "I couldn't believe it," said Mr Osborne. "I told them they were quite happy to take our money in the first place, they hadn't seen a problem with that."

As they stood there arguing, Mr Osborne said six members of staff surrounded the family.

"The children were very distressed and in floods of tears," he said.

"Some other families were so disgusted at what they were hearing they also joined in too.

"We weren't actually told to leave the park but the way we were treated in front of hundreds of people made it impossible for us to stay."

Roger Lloyd, director of the 345-acre park, apologised to the family, blaming the incident on 'poor communication'.

He said a sign on the stall stated park policy that the same person could not win a prize on the same stall on the same day.

"The member of staff should not have taken the money," he said. "We're happy to put our hands up when we make a mistake."

He extended a complimentary invitation to the Osbornes. "The park is sorry for any distress caused to the children and the rest of the family,

"They are games of skill. Once a person has won a prize and mastered a skill they could then win all the prizes so we have a policy of one prize per person to be fair to everyone."

Mr Osborne said he would not be taking up the American Adventure's offer of complimentary tickets.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=134225&command=displayContent&sourceNode=133935&contentPK=13163429

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the park could have handled this better but they do have a point. If someone learns how to do a 'game of skill' then there is a limit. I mean I can go win the bushel ball game almost every time now and I fully expect them to 'cut me off' at some point!

I remember when I was at the State Fair last year there was game where you ride a bike on a straight line. I rode the bike on the straight line but at the second the carnie pushed the cone in front of the bike and he was like "you loose!".

Later that day we took one of the toys (THAT I ONE) and just left. The doy was a big dog and i figured "hey I won it so i get it".

Sounds like the next lawsuit....

honest judge, my kids are terrified! Everytime they walk by the stuffed animal isle in any store, they-

just--- sort of---

freak out!

20 mil, please.

God, i really hope not.

Nah, Europeans aren't as a letigious society as we Americans. Hence, the coasters/parks are much more interesting over there

What really irks me about this situation is the fact that they give the damn toy to the kid for winning it, and then ran after the family declaring that it was a violation of park policy, ex post facto. While the game is indeed a game of skill...it's really f*ckin hard. Try it sometime. She deserved the fish, and the park should have just bitten the bullet. Utterly ridiculous.

I went there a couple of weeks back and I can't believe how far downhill this place is going. I must have stayed there all of 45 mins this time.

It's bad enough that they've removed the 3 best rides in the park and are still charging more than last year. Luckily I was admitted for half price as I came in after 2.30pm, so I took advantage of the cheaper deal.

But if this was a violation of park rules as the park say it was, the staff should have known them before giving the toy out.

If American Adventure is trying to dig its own grave it's doing a good job.