TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Things to do while queuing at theme parks!

I've only been to Cedar Fair parks, so I watch FUNtv. But I might watch the ride or other rides for a few minutes. Or, I talk to whoever gets my attention. I usually chat them up. I remember standing in line for MF in July, and there were some guests that were visiting from Texas. And their home park was SFOT. They were comparing Mr. Freeze with TTD, and I talked to them the differences. (I assumed they were thinking about the supports for the top hats) And I ended up sitting in the back with them.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^Or smoke weed, it'll make the wait go by faster.

On a serious note I tend to just talk to my friends in line or other people. I also tend to take pictures of the ride I'm waiting for or other near by rides. If it comes down to it and there isn't really anything else to do while I wait, I'll just check my FB or Instagram to kill some time. Too bad there's no more queues similar to Manta SWO that already keep you occupied while waiting...

-Take pictures

-Talk to people (Friends, I've only talked to a stranger twice at an amusement park.)

-See how many rides I can see from the queue

-Stare at the coaster track/wheels/brakes/train/supports. The nerdy stuff.

-Listen for those wonderful "GP" comments.

-Listen for complaints about the park's Fast Lane system

-Daydream

Honestly when I am in line at theme parks I am always with my partner... and the best thing (and only thing we do) while in line is talk to each other. It is one of the only times where we are not distracted with everything that is going on around us. We are just there... waiting... and talking to each other. It gives us a chance to get to know each other better. It seems like every trip we take we come away from it knowing more about each other than we did before, and it is all thanks to the time we have in line talking with each other... Cheesy I know, but it is the truth.

Back in August I was waiting for Raging Bull... We're about 1/3 of the way through the 2nd set of covered switchbacks as group of about 6-8 people are just entering the switchbacks... After some talk amongst their group, they decided to send a stuffed Superman that they won at a game crowd surfing... For the next 20 minutes, Supes was crowd surfing throughout the switchbacks... It became a game to try and get him stuck up in the rafters/lights or to see how far you could throw him... After a while there was a stuffed Tweety and a ball getting thrown around too... Everyone in the crowd was into this... No one would bitch about getting hit and everyone would chuck the things when they came to them... Got to see two groups of teens try and spike the ball into each other's faces for a bit also...

This was one of those "spur of the moment" type things that was a total blast... Best 30 minutes I have ever had in line...

If I'm a single rider, I wait. If I'm with my sister, I talk about the coaster or flat we were about to ride on and try to make her stay in line. If I'm with my dad, I tell him lies about the coaster we were about to ride. For example, I said that GhostRider was a "smooth" coaster, but the placebo effect didn't really work out.

I either ride coasters with my kids or by myself, depending on how intense the ride is. So the times that I'm by myself I like to talk to the people around me. Sometimes they're really interesting. Earlier this year, I met a guy from Australia while queueing for Outlaw Run. I'm always amazed at how far people will travel to come to Branson. Maybe growing up around here I don't appreciate it for what it is. What I hear from those who are from outside the US is that if you go to New York or LA, you'll see landmarks and such, but coming to Branson, you'll see what America is really like. Granted, this is from the people who chose to go to Branson over what I consider our better cities, but still, it's quite a compliment.

• 1 month later...

In the good ol' days, waiting in line was cigarette time. Now I need to take time out of my itinerary for breaks in the designated zones for second-class citizens.

My favourite pastime is listening to some of the foolishness some people think is true. This past summer while in line for Nitro, I heard some kid telling whoever he was with that "they added a new part to El Toro when they knocked down Rolling Thunder."

Stare at the ride, watching people's reactions.

Converse with fellow riders waiting as well (did this for 40 minutes while waiting for the front on I305 one night with two firemen...40 minutes well spent)

Look at other rides.

Laugh at how GP think that Kingda Ka is "500ish feet tall" and other stupidity...

When the ride is shut down for maintence, kick around some girl's weave she lost (20 minutes in Volcano queue with nine other people)

TPR App

Rock Paper Scissors War!

Take a big bolt with you in a pocket, then take it out, let it drop, pick it up, hold it in the air and then ask loudly: "Where is this bolt from?" And then watch the peoples reaction

*I didn't tried it before but I think some people would leave the line!

When visiting theme parks alone, I try to get in conversation with other people. It is not easy for me but I see it as a good opportunity. I won't see them again anyway.

With friends, we spend the time talking to each other. In my opinion it is unfriendly to stare at your mobile phone all the time when together with others.

Besides the usual conversations with friends, I have a great amount of fun simply people watching. Personally, I enjoy listening the uninformed coaster and amusement park banter by the general public. Also, witnessing some obnoxious behavior, clumsy moves, or listening to some pure ignorant conversations are also things I find amusing. It is amazing some of the strange and funny things I notice when I simply just scan the area. Society is full of some interesting creatures.

Sounds kinda evil, but I keep my comments to myself. Unless of course I put a person on "Your Team."

• 1 month later...