TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Things to do while queuing at theme parks!

Hi me and a few friends are going to Thorpe Park in the UK for the first time in a few weeks but it is at a weekend and from what i have heard about the park, it gets extremely busy during the weekends and holidays. I was just wondering if there was anything that anyone else does while queuing the help pass the time while at theme parks as i have never gone to a theme park when it has been extremely busy before and I usually avoid weekends and holidays, but this will be the only chance that i get to visit the park and want to make the most of it.

If there is already a thread about his somewhere on the site then feel free to delete this

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I do when I go to thorpe or chessington, is that I listen to the music I have on my phone. Also, I look around in the queue line to see what I'm about to ride with the scenery. One thing I will say is that when you are going to go on Saw-The ride, listen to Saw 3D Dr Gordon montage track. It makes the queue line move faster and makes it more interesting to look around the area while waiting.

If you are going with friends, then time in line won't be that bad, because you'll be talking to one another. Unless you are a group of friends who stands around and avoids each other.

But you can people watch, talk about people, watch the expressions on the riders faces, etc. Going with friends makes queuing not that bad.

I usually go to parks alone (my friends have no interest in going to parks, I have tried multiple times to get them to go with me at least once), and usually won't wait in any long lines, 30 minutes usually being my limit. I either play games on my phone or go to this site or some park fan sites.

Hi me and a few friends are going to Thorpe Park in the UK for the first time in a few weeks but it is at a weekend and from what i have heard about the park, it gets extremely busy during the weekends and holidays. I was just wondering if there was anything that anyone else does while queuing the help pass the time while at theme parks as i have never gone to a theme park when it has been extremely busy before and I usually avoid weekends and holidays, but this will be the only chance that i get to visit the park and want to make the most of it.

If there is already a thread about his somewhere on the site then feel free to delete this

That is the longest post I've seen that only consists of three sentences

But in regards to your question, I like to look at my surroundings and the coaster, taking a picture or video if I see a great opportunity. But as everyone else has said, casual chatter with your friends, listening to the queue music, Fruit Ninja; if you've ever had to cope with downtime before, queueing shouldn't be much different.

Talk?

This seems to be the most logical option. However, if you are at a park alone, an iPod is a great diversion. I have 25 back episodes of the podcast "This American Life". The stories are always interesting. And, at an hour an episode, waiting in line when I solo it to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (my home park) is no big deal. Oh yeah, watching "scenery" is also a useful way to pass the time as well...

Off topic a bit but I personally don't mind the queues. It's part of the theme park experience.

I typically just chat, people watch, and and crack jokes to make it interesting. I think an amusement park is actually one of the few places where I feel better without music playing. I see people listening to music and it almost feels like they've lost connection with their groups.

What I do in a Queue line is mostly look at the theming and focusing on the ride up ahead. It sounds weird to focus on the ride but for my feeling a queue goes faster than that I look around and listening to the music. And also fun to do is keeping your ears open for the GP, most likely the most stupid comments comes from the queue for the ride your about to go on. But my best tip is try (even if you are alone) to have some fun than time flies by.

I usually spend the whole time trying to keep my place in line. Seriously, due to my age people think they can get away with cutting in front of me. I always see people out the corner of my eye trying to get past. Scooby Doo's queue at Movieworld is the worst for this as its so wide.

- Definitely talking with your friends, family, or whoever you're with.

- Take photos of the ride you're waiting for, and the theming or anything else that you can't see from outside the queue.

- Listen to music through your headphones (if you're by yourself).

- Look at, read, or study the park map.

- Try not to smash peoples heads on rails, trash cans, etc., that keep repeatedly running into the back of you or stepping on the back of your feet.

- My favorite... wear dark sunglasses and check out the "scenery".