TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard to find soft serve ice cream these days

I noticed last year on my little park trip (SFGAdv, Knoebels, Dorney) that, besides Knoebels, it was hard as hell to find a place in the other two parks that served soft-serve ice cream. Especially SFGAdv! I finally found a place at Dorney, but never found one at Six Flags. It was all scooped ice cream. I know this may be trivial to most people. I like to have a soft serve in the evening, and just walk around for a while when i go to parks. Just to take in the lights, the atmosphere... But it seems like Six Flags parks only do Ben & Jerrys. I'm going to 10 parks this summer (KD, BGE, SFOG, Carowinds, Holiday World, SFStL, WoF, SFGAm, and SFGAdv again) and am hoping not to have the same problem again. Seems like I might still at the Six Flags Parks. Anyone else have this problem?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is up with Busch Gardens Williamsburg and the waffle cone sundaes,every time I've visited this park it seems like half the people are eating one of these.I'm from Florida and I've been to the Tampa park hundreds of times and I know they also have the waffle cone sundaes but never have I seen the waffle cone sundae frenzy there like I've seen on my 4-5 visits to the Williamsburg park.I know Tampa is hotter year round so you would think ice cream is more popular there,guess not.And a perfect example of why people just do what others do,I think I've bought the waffle cone sundae pretty much every time I've gone to the Virginia park and in all the hundreds of times I've gone to the Tampa park I think I may have bought it 2-3 times,there's rarely a huge wait for them in Tampa and yet I wait 20+ minutes for them in Williamsburg because that's what everyone's doing.

I always thought of soft serve as the "poor mans" ice cream. Perhaps society as a whole is getting a better appreciation for higher quality foods?

Note - this does not apply to Dole Whip - that is the ice cream of the gods!

I agree completely regarding Dole Whip. Waffle cone sundaes do, indeed, seem to be a bigger deal at BGW than at other parks I've visited, but you can get "regular" ice cream there, too.

I love soft serve if it's properly mixed. Knoebel's has amazing soft serve. It is getting harder to find at parks. I think Six Flags parks have switched over to using sponsored product (usually Ben & Jerry's). Most parks soft serve is usually pretty terrible, so I'd rather had regular ice cream in that case.

The best park soft serve ice cream ever is the pumpkin & vanilla that served at Tokyo Disneyland during their Halloween celebration. Falafel & I pretty much survived off of this and popcorn for four days. It was awesome.

dt

Kings Island has blue (blue berry flavored maybe) soft serve ice cream in Hanna Barbarra/Nickelodeon/Camp Snoopy/Kidzville or whatever it is now that is a fairly famous local treat. I always get a blue cone every time I'me at Kings Island.

I always thought of soft serve as the "poor mans" ice cream. Perhaps society as a whole is getting a better appreciation for higher quality foods?

I grew up where a trip to Carvel was a weekend treat for my family and I used to love Carvel, until I discovered Baskin Robbins a few years later. Then in high school I had a few friends who worked at Carvel and told me about the process of making the soft serve.

Now I always choose hard ice cream if given a choice. But I still love a make it yourself sundae if it comes from a soft serve machine and you have a lot of options for the toppings.

I love soft serve if it's properly mixed. Knoebel's has amazing soft serve.

Yeah, I've had very good soft serve at Knoebels. Having good soft serve makes a lot of sense at a place like Knoebels. Fits in perfectly with their permanent fair atmosphere.

I love soft serve if it's properly mixed. Knoebel's has amazing soft serve.

Yeah, I've had very good soft serve at Knoebels. Having good soft serve makes a lot of sense at a place like Knoebels. Fits in perfectly with their permanent fair atmosphere.

BGW does a pretty good job with their soft serve; KD, not so much.

I just get soft serve because my very sensitive teeth have problems with "real" ice cream. I mean, I know I can get soft serve at any Dairy Queen, but I still like to get it at parks. I do agree, Knoebels has some very good ice cream. I seem to remember Disney World's as being pretty good too. The stuff I ended up getting at Six Flags Great Adventure, which they said was soft serve but that's debatable, was of a very bad consistency and didn't taste that great.

I always get some blue ice cream when I'm at Kings Island. Cedar Point also has a couple soft serve ice cream locations.

What gets me at BGW is the great aroma you get when walking in Rhinefeld where the live band performs near the carousel when they are making fresh waffle cones. Maybe that's why soft serve is popular there.

^The melting point of water is the same in either case: 0 C. You can lower the melting point of water by adding salt (also raises the boiling point), the so-called "freezing point depression". I don't think that's what's going on with soft serve.

So, I checked the Wikipedia page on soft serve. It's served at a higher temperature than regular ice cream and contains more air. Both of these things contribute to soft serve melting faster.

What is up with Busch Gardens Williamsburg and the waffle cone sundaes,every time I've visited this park it seems like half the people are eating one of these.I'm from Florida and I've been to the Tampa park hundreds of times and I know they also have the waffle cone sundaes but never have I seen the waffle cone sundae frenzy there like I've seen on my 4-5 visits to the Williamsburg park.I know Tampa is hotter year round so you would think ice cream is more popular there,guess not.And a perfect example of why people just do what others do,I think I've bought the waffle cone sundae pretty much every time I've gone to the Virginia park and in all the hundreds of times I've gone to the Tampa park I think I may have bought it 2-3 times,there's rarely a huge wait for them in Tampa and yet I wait 20+ minutes for them in Williamsburg because that's what everyone's doing.

I'm sure some of it has to do with the way the waffle cone vendors seem to pipe the scent of the freshly baked cones out into the park. It's hard to go a hundred feet without catching a whiff of them. It seems to be one of the priorities of the park layout there. Of course, they smell amazing, and you can't help but think about how good one would be one you have that smell on your mind...

BGT might just be -too- hot; ice cream lasts about 30 seconds before turning into soup on a hot day there.