TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

The latest from CNFOXSBC claims that due to the earth quake, Charlie Sheen, and March Madness that the Moon will blow up on Friday.... All of the above was triggered because of global warming and The Myans are right about 2012 but no humans will be left to see it.

In other news... Japan rocks they got all this under controle... Not only did this happen, but the reactors are being handled well too. I mean 2 reactors are going to shet and another may as well, but so far they have avoided any major problems with it. They know there stuff!

I suspect the neuclear plant situation is somewhat worse than they have made out, and they are trying to avoid panic. Contamination is spreading. Im seeing reports that more and more people are having to be treated for radiation exposure.

It will be more contained than Chernobyl but its deffinately not entirely under control. The company that runs it has a history of safety violations and playing down rather large risks. There is still risk of full meltdown, there is already exposed fuel rods, and if one of the flasks goes pop, especially the plutonium-uranium fueled one, its big trouble.

Kinda ominous looking at the before-after photos.... Frankly, I don't think anyone could have prepared for a disaster of THIS scale.

How are you defining "prepare"? Of course you can't protect your home from nature's fury, but any able minded and bodied individual can certainly be prepared to heed warning signs and evacuate. In Japan's coastal areas tsunami preparedness drills are a frequent occurence and taken seriously.

The Japanese have their act together. I don't think they even know the meaning of the word "panic".

Agreed. And one other thing that I have noticed (granted, I haven't watched a ton of the news) is the lack of stupid f-ing morons looting, raping & taking advantage of the situation "because they can."

^ Wow, TDL looks pretty solid during that shaking, you could barely tell there was an 8.9 earthquake happening. I guess if you had to be stuck somewhere, this was one of the better places to be. Still amazed at how orderly everything is - they should come here and teach seminars!

Well, looting isn't common in Japan for the same reasons that theft is very uncommon there. Their culture is based on honor and respect and trust. Stealing would dishonor your family. As such, the fines are also much greater than here.

I remember seeing all of the bicycles (hundreds of them as some stations!) just left unlocked at train stations, and being surprised that no one ever stole them. Here in Boston, if you left your bike LOCKED in public for long, people would still steal anything they could: tire, basket, seat, etc. It's such a different culture.

I hope that everyone in the TPR and enthusiast communities are doing as well as they can. It's moments like this that put all of our petty concerns into perspective.

This is no good:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110315/ts_nm/us_japan_quake

TOKYO (Reuters) – Japan faced a potential catastrophe Tuesday after a quake-crippled nuclear power plant exploded and sent low levels of radiation floating toward Tokyo, prompting some people to flee the capital and others to stock up on essential supplies.

The crisis appeared to escalate late in the day when the operators of the facility said that one of two blasts had blown a hole in the building housing a reactor, which meant spent nuclear fuel was exposed to the atmosphere.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan urged people within 30 km (18 miles) of the facility -- a population of 140,000 -- to remain indoors amid the world's most serious nuclear accident since the Chernobyl disaster in Ukraine in 1986.

Officials in Tokyo -- 240 km (150 miles) to the south of the plant -- said radiation in the capital was 10 times normal by evening but there was no threat to human health. Around eight hours after the explosions, the U.N. weather agency said winds were dispersing radioactive material over the Pacific Ocean, away from Japan and other Asian countries.

As concern about the crippling economic impact of the nuclear and earthquake disasters mounted, Japan's Nikkei index fell as much as 14 percent before ending down 10.6 percent, compounding a slide of 6.2 percent the day before. The two-day fall has wiped some $620 billion off the market.

Authorities have spent days desperately trying to prevent the water which is designed to cool the radioactive cores of the reactors from running dry.

The article is much longer than that.

^Thank you. I saw on CNN last night that 2 different backup core cooling mechanisms stopped working. They had a Diesel generated cooling system and electric pump system and both stopped working. Scary to say the least.

At least the winds seem to be cooperating right now.

We need to be careful with what we post as this is a very fluid situation and information is not always correct and can quickly be outdated.

Also FYI, I've been checking with our contacts and most of our Southern Japan parks are operating as normal right now as are trains and hotels.

^That are good news so far, Elissa - sadly the important rest for Japan isn´t! Really, when does the natural catastrophe finally stop for now... they have so many problems with Fukushima, every new earthquake don´t makes the situation better and they can start with a new try to cool down and handle the nuclear plants - but, everything has a limit! Hope they won´t reach this limit in the end!

Until now, they´re doing more than ever expected, but it´s getting more unsave with every day it seems. I keep my fingers crossed for them. Isn´t it enough after the earthquake and this rude tsunami? So many are death and missed and now a nuclear catastrophe hope it won´t be finally a "disaster beyond all expectations" (interesting description... for me it still is by the direct translation) - in Germany we name it "Super Gau" (like in Tschernobyl).

BUT, from what I have heard. Air China has stopped all flights to Japan. Lufthansa still make flights to Japan, but they don´t depart at Tokyo. Every flight today will go to the Southern Japan region from now on. AND Lufthansa made radiation controls on their last flights. Until now, there wasn´t measured any higher radiation .

Hope from now on there will be more good than bad news for Japan and the situation changes to a better one! Good Luck to them.

I have several friends who just moved to Tokyo to work for Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySeas.

Yesterday, they decided to fly all of the performers home to their respective countries. According to him, " OLC (the company that actually owns the parks here) is paying for the flight. They are sending us home, and giving us the option to come back if we wish. Best possible outcome. #Disney #Japan #Quake"

If you wish to follow him or find out 1st hand info from someone who actually works for TDL, find him on Twitter @JarrodLentz

He also posted a whole bunch of videos and did interviews with tons of TV stations around the world. Very interesting first hand account of this disaster.

We're pulling our ships away from Japan for a while.

TOKYO (AP) -- The U.S. Seventh Fleet said Monday it had moved its ships and aircraft away from a quake-stricken Japanese nuclear power plant after discovering low-level radioactive contamination.

The fleet said that the radiation was from a plume of smoke and steam released from the crippled Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Power Plant, where there have been two hydrogen explosions since Friday's devastating earthquake and tsunami.

The aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan was about 100 miles (160 kilometers) offshore when its instruments detected the radiation. The fleet said the dose of radiation was about the same as one month's normal exposure to natural background radiation in the environment.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/03/japan-earthquake-update-march-15/

First and foremost, our hearts go out to all of the people in Japan who have been impacted by last week’s devastating earthquake in Japan. In response to this disaster, The Walt Disney Company is making a $2.5 million contribution to the Red Cross to help aid in the disaster relief. The company has also coordinated a charitable giving program for all Disney employees and will match donations, dollar for dollar, up to an additional $1 million.

In regards to our theme park operations, Tokyo Disney Resort will remain closed this week so that a comprehensive safety investigation can be performed. While there was only minimal damage to the resort, the safety of our guests and cast members is always our top priority so we want to be as thorough as possible in our inspections. The quake caused considerable damage to the local infrastructure and transportation systems in the area so we need to take that into account as well. Fortunately, all of the guests who were at the resort when the quake hit have been able to leave despite these transportation challenges.

A decision regarding operations at the Tokyo Disney Resort will be made on March 21 and we will continue to post updates on the Disney Parks Blog as the situation progresses. The thoughts and good wishes of the entire Disney company go to our colleagues in Japan, their friends and families and all of the Japanese people as they begin their recovery efforts in this difficult time.

The U.S. State Department has upgraded the travel advisory for Japan.

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_japan.html

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S citizens of the deteriorating situation at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. The United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) recommends that U.S. citizens who live within 50 miles (80 kilometers) of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant evacuate the area or take shelter indoors if safe evacuation is not practical. The State Department strongly urges U.S. citizens to defer travel to Japan at this time and those in Japan should consider departing. On March 16, 2011, the Department of State authorized the voluntary departure from Japan of eligible family members of U.S. government personnel in Tokyo, Nagoya, and Yokohama. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Alert dated March 13, 2011.