TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

Respect to Japan. They were well prepared, but this earthquake was a little bit to heavy... and then again a tsunami. No wonder they can´t be that perfect, that they won´t have any damage. Sadfully they got the damage on the wrong buildings! Hope they get control about the nuklear plants again, so everything can get to normallity soon for them.

\ If not I will need a special sunblocker on the TPR-Trip and we have to help them to clean up. BTW, wait with the volcano, I´m so looking forward to ride Eejanaika, Dodonpa and hopefully the new Eurofighter once

I'm impressed.

I really hope Disneyland management (and all theme park management in SoCal and other Earthquake prone areas) takes a look at this video and makes sure that their CM's and Employees are trained this well.

I work at USH and we really have no training for this situation. All they've ever told us is where our meet up point is.

The entire Tokyo Disney Resort is closed until the 21st.

Here's a another video of the crowd when the earthquake started. They get startled a bit at the beginning but nobody scatters as they all just calmly sit until the message comes on.

And here's a video after the quake on the TDR Monorail leaving from Tokyo Disney Sea Station and practically doing a full circuit. You can see some minor flooding at 3:26 and from there you can see some shots of the parking lots after the water receded.

For anyone wondering, I tried some google translate of some park's websites north of Tokyo, it seemed they were all mostly closed for at least the next week. Beneyland's website doesn't say anything about it, that's the park closest to the quake's center so who knows.

Tokyo Disneyland will be closed for about 10 days:

http://blogs.forbes.com/kenrapoza/2011/03/12/earthquake-closes-tokyo-disneyland-for-10-days-kyodo/

Tokyo Disneyland will be closed for the next 10 days as the country cleans up from one of the worst earthquakes in a generation, the Kyodo News agency reported early Sunday.

Oriental Land Co. closed Chiba-based Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea, Japan’s most popular amusement facilities, on Saturday to carry out emergency safety checks. The operator said the closure will probably last about 10 days.

Japan was hit by an 8.9 magnitude earthquake on Friday. Over 1,800 people are expected to have died in the disaster, Kyodo reported.

Edited by jedimaster1227

I'm so glad that the cast members and guests handled this situation perfectly. There was very little panic (only a startle at the beginning of the quake) and people listened to the instructions given by the cast members. Even though Sendai was flooded, it could have been a lot worse especially if it was in America. There would panic everywhere, and many more things would be destroyed.

To show how much panic there would be here is a story from a couple days ago regarding Santa Cruz. A day after the earthquake occurred, a tsunami warning was issued for Santa Cruz and the coast of California. How people reacted was ridiculous. There was so much panic I was in disbelief. The freeways were jammed, people fled to the summit of mountains (hundreds of people stopped at the summit on highway 17), and people were thinking goodbye to Santa Cruz.

I, being smart, thought that it might hit a little, but not much at all. I was correct. The only thing happened was 1 person was swept out to sea, and 70 boats were either damaged or sunk in the Santa Cruz harbor. Yes, that is some damage, but the boats are VERY vulnerable especially in a narrow harbor. How could people even think that Santa Cruz was going to be flooded. *facepalm* to whoever thought so. People need to be more prepared for this and not panic.

I work at USH and we really have no training for this situation. All they've ever told us is where our meet up point is.

Which means that 90% of the employees don't know even that because they've either forgotten or weren't paying attention in the first place.

Those of us who do work in the theme park industry should watch these videos and adopt these exact procedures for earthquakes. CalTech has told us that SoCal could be hit by a magnitude 8 or higher quake. This could be us tomorrow. We should be doing everything we can to be prepared for it.

I, being smart, thought that it might hit a little, but not much at all. I was correct.

Hey Mister Smart Guy.

Do you realize the heart of Santa Cruz sits 2 miles from the ocean at an elevation of 36 feet?

Do you realize the flooding in Japan occured 6 miles inland? Even further inland with the tsunami in the South Pacific a couple of years back.

I can't comment on the panic, but being prepared and heading inland to higher ground sounds like the SMART thing to do.

People that are unprepared for natural disasters and don't heed warnings are stupid, but I'll call it natural selection as they could end up dead.

Edited by larrygator

...Well on CNN they just said the last time there was an earthquake of this magnitude in Japan, Mt. Fuji erupted 35 days later.

Larry, why did you mention that... now there is an eruption in the south of Japan! Only because of you Larry BTW, isn´t it interesting, that all the locations of TPR Trips are afflicted in the last 2 years... Curious... are these some bugs in the magical TPR PENs?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh my god, they don´t have luck over there! Isn´t it still enough? I don´t understand why all these catastrophes in the last time aren´t finished with one gigantic natural disaster? That´s like you´re still lying on the ground and someone smashes your head again and again. You don´t get a chance to stand up.

I feel with them! Really shocked what happens there!

I can't comment on the panic, but being prepared and heading inland to higher ground sounds like the SMART thing to do.

People that are unprepared for natural disasters and don't heed warnings are stupid, but I'll call it natural selection as they could end up dead.

Thank you, Larry. I was going to say something, but I refrained. While I don't agree that people should have panicked, I would have absolutely taken the warnings seriously and headed to higher ground. People who think they are "natural disaster experts" have a much higher chance of finding themselves dead when they quickly realize they don't know what they are talking about when the water kills them.

You weren't "smart", you were "lucky." There is a huge difference...

--Robb "Natural selection through natural disaster!" Alvey

Just saw on this forum that the TDR will be subjected to rolling blackouts over the next couple weeks (at least).

Planned power outages, which include Urayasu city, started today. TDR will lose power from 6:20~10:00 and 16:50~20:30. This will likely to continue for a couple of weeks. And the planned power outages (scale is unknown for now) will probably continue until the end of the next month. So, I don't think they have a choice.

Here is news confirmation on the citywide blackouts scheduled for Tokyo.

I, being smart, thought that it might hit a little, but not much at all. I was correct.

Hey Mister Smart Guy.

Do you realize the heart of Santa Cruz sits 2 miles from the ocean at an elevation of 36 feet?

Do you realize the flooding in Japan occured 6 miles inland? Even further inland with the tsunami in the South Pacific a couple of years back.

I remember watching local TV news footage of cops having to save idiots on the Virignia Beach oceanfront when Hurricane Isabel hit. Yes, they thought it would be cool to watch the wave action from the beach--good thing the cops saved them from being swept out to sea.

On top of everything that has already happened and everything still going on in Japan CNN is now reporting a Volcano has erupted.

This site has some stunning pictures of the eruption and say it the biggest in 50 years pics

It just crazy how many natural disasters is going on in one place, my prayers go out to all the Japanese people.

On top of everything that has already happened and everything still going on in Japan CNN is now reporting a Volcano has erupted.

Don't listen to the stupid news trying to stir up drama. That volcano has been erupting for some time now. Well before the earthquake. They are only reporting it now because Japan has their shit together and they running out of "disaster" to report on so they have been showing the same stuff over and over, and now have reported on the volcano that was already going well before the earthquake.

It's honestly pathetic watching CNN right now. They are stretching themselves so much to look for *shocking* stories and they just aren't getting. They just interviewed some woman about not having running water and she was like "They've set up this system where you can go get as much fresh, clean water as you need...I took several buckets, stood in line, took about 20 minutes and got plenty...it wasn't really a big deal...people were really calm."

And they were trying so hard to get her to say something HORRIFIC and she was all "You know, it's not as bad as it looks on TV..."

Then they just interviewed some guy about "NUCLEAR OMFG MELTDOWN!!!" and the guy was all "Yeah, it's all pretty much under control, and there isn't any dangerous radioactivity in the area right now...really, they've done a great job and they are doing everything right to avoid serious catastrophic failure..."

And then, CNN loses all credibility when they say "Next up we are going to interview Bill Nye the Science Guy and ask him about the nuclear reactor meltdown!!!"

Really, CNN? Why don't you also interview Doc Brown and see if his Delorean can go back and time and stop the earthquake...

--Robb "I realize Bill Nye does have some engineering background...but c'mon!!!" Alvey

billnye.thumb.jpg.fa1e4d0e1b11a5150693300630e05d56.jpg

LMAO!!!!

Edited by robbalvey