TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

Couldn't believe the news when I was in school! I have to agree with everyone on Robb's side. People here freak out about electricity going out and people there are like ahh whatever another earthquake!

I actually have a friend who just moved to Tokyo with his family because of his dad's job. Their apartment is smack dab in the middle of the city and my friend and his sister have to take a 1 hour bus ride to their school. They said that their bus ride was 8 hours today due to this! They had to re-route and stop because of traffic, aftershocks, and fires. They were scared because my town is in New York and we never have earthquakes so it was something new to them!! They also said that they had electricity but cell service is on and off. Nothing to bad happened to their apartment besides loose things falling.

I just hope now that everything turns out okay with the Nuclear Power Plants!

Last May when we were at Anaheim Disneyland there a small quake that happened and they shut down rides, guest were confused, as well as cast members who had no information and basically failed completely at any organization. So major props to the TDL staff and my fingers are crossed I'm never at Disneyland should a major quake happen.

^^^^ It was insane how quickly they got the ropes down in the video! I will echo that the calmness and organization of Japan will be their saving grace in the middle of this tragedy. It is really hard to understand how perfect they are at handling chaos unless you have been there.

While the Japanese have so far shown calmness and haven't shown many signs of panic yet, this is still a catistrophic natural disaster. While they have prepared for something like this to occur and given how much more advanced they are, there's only so much you can do.

While I have never been in a major earthquake, I do know that some of the land that the tsunami washed over will probably remain underwater based on liquifaction (land becoming so saturated that it turns into water). To throw on all that's going on is the possibility of another Chernobyl occuring.

This could've been MUCH worse if it hit at Tokyo, but it's still something important to follow in my opinion.

^^That makes me wonder...did the earthquake and tsuanmi totally destroy Fuji-Q? Please say yes!

Well on CNN they just said the last time there was an earthquake of this magnitude in Japan, Mt. Fuji erupted 35 days later.

^^That makes me wonder...did the earthquake and tsuanmi totally destroy Fuji-Q? Please say yes!

Well on CNN they just said the last time there was an earthquake of this magnitude in Japan, Mt. Fuji erupted 35 days later.

I would totally sacrifice the TPR Japan 2011 trip if it meant that Fuji-Q could be destroyed!

Couldn't believe the news when I was in school! I have to agree with everyone on Robb's side. People here freak out about electricity going out and people there are like ahh whatever another earthquake!

I have friends here in Los Angeles that were here for the Chino quake a couple of years ago that think they have been through an earthquake.

I'm not going to lie here. Earlier, I mentioned experiencing the Loma Prieta quake at the age of 4. I still remember just about everything I was doing as the quake struck, and everything I did afterwards. I was quite freaked out as I was pretty young and had no idea what was going on other than everything was shaking like mad (well, it was more of a fluid rocking motion). Today, if a quake of that magnitude happened, I would be freaked out probably just the same. I wouldn't be prepared for it other than 'duck and cover.' What worries me is the Hayward Fault Line that runs just a tiny bit away from my house...and that thing hasn't gone off in a while.

Honestly I will get nervous when we get those small 3-second rolls that are only a 1-3 magnitude quake. I'd say the 1989 quake was a pretty major quake for what few major quakes we really get in CA (knocks on wood now).

Back to the Japan quake and potential tsunami for the West Coast,as this is really the focus here, I hope for the best for them. My cousin is actually in the Philippines where they saw some 3-foot waves. I'm thankful that nothing serious was headed towards them. On our end here, I was really curious as to how the San Francisco Bay would handle the surges/potential tsunamis entering through a small mouth into a larger basin of water (I had read somewhere that the SF Bay in most areas aren't really much deeper than your typical swimming pool). Any seismologists want to chime in?

I've been doing some reading on the nuclear situation, and many people who claim to (and one I know who does) work with nuclear power say a Chernobyl-style meltdown is unlikely with the type of reactor the plant in question is. Almost unanimously they say the worst-case scenario would be similar to Three Mile Island, a relatively isolated release of radiation (though it still would be a serious and dangerous situation).

This is a live feed from a Japan station. Much better than others I have seen

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv43018790

My family in Japan are all safe, so that's good. It is amazing how organized, prepared, and calm the Japanese people are. They are definitely the most prepared country in the world for this type of disaster. The regularly hold community disaster drills for earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos. Many places even have hard hats for everyone!

^^Glad your family is all safe.

Can we PLEASE start making Godzilla jokes yet or is it too soon? Seriously, isn't this how like all of those Japanese movies started!?!? Giant Earthquake/Tsunami Plus Radiation Equals Awesome Monsters!!!

EDIT - FYI, I just checked around some of my Japanese sites and trains are starting to run again in the Tokyo area which is a very good thing.

Edited by SharkTums

^It is never too soon to make jokes about Godzilla! You are absolutely correct, this is EXACTLY how they all started! How incredibly funny would that be if they were hit with some radioactive monster

I've been doing some reading on the nuclear situation, and many people who claim to (and one I know who does) work with nuclear power say a Chernobyl-style meltdown is unlikely with the type of reactor the plant in question is. Almost unanimously they say the worst-case scenario would be similar to Three Mile Island, a relatively isolated release of radiation (though it still would be a serious and dangerous situation).

A little radiation would be good for me with my holding of CBLI stock. Yeah, I'm a greddy bastard.