TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

That version looks nice, but it's tough to beat the setup MGM's has, they just really did a great job with it.

Yeah, I would have thought OLC would have footed the bill for the 5th dimension room, but I guess they didn't think it was necessary. Either that, or Disney wouldn't let them. Is that possible?

^ No clue. Could be both, as Disney probably had no interest to revisit that, and the bill for this baby is already $190 million dollars! Thats what?...3-4 times the cost of the CA version. They might as well made a real hotel for that amout!

I wouldn't mind having that in my pocket!

"Uh, hi! I'll buy an Indiana Jones Adventure, two Big Thunder's, and perhaps a Buzz Lightyear on the side. Thanks."

-Jahan

I am so excited to finally get to ride one of these! TDR doesn't seem to do soft openings, but I'll definitely be there in September! I think it looks rediculously incredible, but that's definitely in keeping with the rest of TDS.

I think they went with the lower cap CA version due to the park's relatively small areas available for expansion. The only place in the park with any area is to the left of the Indiana Jones ride, and a ToT wouldn't fit very well in the middle of Mexican ruins! TDS is a gorgeous park, but they really are squeezed on all sides.

What I'm waiting for is a third gate on new landfill!

First: Tokyo Disneyland.

Then: Tokyo DisneySea...

Next: Tokyo DisneyAir!

Yeah I was looking at the actual building itelf, and I'm pretty sure all of the queue is indoors, this now makes more sense on why they installed the CA version. There could not be a "forward" portion because it would interfere with the queue area and gift shop/exit area. Plus the queue would have to be indoors because it's weather would not be what we would call "California or Florida weather." I mean sure you couldswing the queue area towards the back, but it would be just as inconvenient as it is tacky to do so. I mean Disneyland Tokyo just does not have the space to push the whole tower back. I guess this is what the Disney Imagineers were thinking when they decided to build this ride. I do however like the building, I think it looks very nice.

^^Hey rollermonkey where exactly are those Mexican Ruins located??? I've been to Disneyland more times than I can count, but I must have missed them!

Ahhhh....But, it would be great if Disneyland built a new E-Ticket attraction, and No!!!.... Space Mountain/Finding Nemo Submarine Redue doesn't count!

I think there is plenty of room behind Thunder Mountain to build something worthy of the Disney name.

As Robb has stated in the past, it's been 10+ years since Disneyland built a major (Splash Mountain type) attraction!!! Disney can't afford to neglect Disneyland just because it's a Major Cash Cow!!! Because it's a Bad Omen for Disneyland when Rollercoaster Enthusiasts like the Alveys haven't been back to Disneyland for a long time!

Nice... good to see some recent photos of that beautiful building. I feel the exterior looks better than the other two, blends in to the surroundings wonderfully.

We have a building right here in Providence RI that has the exact same color scheme, brickwork with green tile roof, it even looks very similar in shape towards the top, I'll snap a pic sometime and show it.

• 5 weeks later...
I'm all about the new pre-show theming and stuff, but kind of bummed it's the CA version once you get on the ride. IMO the CA version is really lacking that something "special" that the WDW version has, not to mention how much more lower capacity the CA version is. I really do think the dark ride part of MGM's tower really does add that extra "dimension" (literally) that DCA's is sorely lacking.

Oh well, I'm assuming the "complete" experience will be much better, as the CA version is pretty lacking when it comes to any real story or theming. They basically just stripped down the WDW show to match their lower budget. And I have to assume that DisneySea will do a much better job with throughput because they seem to do so with everything else!

--Robb

I think the 5D hallway effect is highly overrated. With the older ride system you knew that you were loaded into the drop shaft, you just didn't know how far you were going to drop. The second advantage is that without self proplelled ride vehicles, there is less to go wrong. With the removal of the motors and computers to drive the cars a lot of weight was also taken off of the reducing the wear on the acutual elevator mechanisms

I've been on both the WDW and DCA version of the Tower, and although I liked the 5th Dimension room at WDW, it really made no sense to the ride and it definitely mucked up the storyline. To me it felt like the the Twilight Zone was just thrown in there and thats all just for the sake of it being the Twilight Zone. To me the DCA version flows much much better and if you try to follow the storyline through the ride, the DCA version definitely works better (not perfectly, mind you, but better than WDW's). And I love the mirror scene at DCA!

Another thing that irked me about the WDW version was the ghost scene where the window drops at the end of the long hallway instead of the ghosts inside their elevator that you see at DCA. I feel that scene in the DCA version is perfectly done, and the window at the end of the hallway at WDW just seems weird and as if the Imagineers were just trying to make more references to the Twilight Zone when all you really need to carry the Twilight Zone theme is the great narration (that is perfectly done by the Rod Serling sound-a-like)

And the DCA version doesn't have that much of a lower loading capacity

"California has two cabins per shaft. While one car is loading, another car is experiencing the ride. That's why the cabins have some limited horizontal movement; one car moves a few feet out of the shaft into the loading and unloading areas thereby allowing the other car to move vertically in the shaft. This also explains why, unlike Florida's single boarding floor, the California version loads on two levels."

I'm looking to go to Paris DL and I must say I was a bit disappointed having read that all the Disneyland versions have single shafts. ToT in WDW is my most favourite ride there and ,IMO, the whole ride experience is magic. It really makes you feel disorientated and in wonder of how the illusions (if that's the correct word!) work. Then, of course, the drops...

I know I will have to wait until I ride a DL version until I can judge for myself, but I feel, personally, the single shaft ride doesn't seem as appealing.

I love the WDW version and i can't wait to try the Paris version but i;m goin there in 2 weeks but they haven't finished it yet. They were only building the one in California when i was there so i missed that one too.

So the other versions are really different from the one in WDW?

• 2 weeks later...
I went to japan disney a couple weeks ago.. Man, i wish i went when it opened.. Oh well.. It looks huger then the california version to me.. And it looks way more different.. Here are some pics i took..

OMG! Its still there- up in the middle there are 3 arches- why do I keep seeing a "Play" button in the middle of the middle one? I noticed it in the pic Robb posted here- and it is still there in the other pics in this thread!

This link might work a bit better and takes you directly to the photo and even a VIDEO!!!

http://www.toms-net.com/DeepDisney/totnew0999.html

Some of these pics look amazing!

I'm still a little bummed that the ride is just DCA's version once you get into the ride vehicle, but I think the additional story elements will probably make up for it.

--Robb