TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

Amazing! Spend money to make money.

Hear that US parks?

That's the problem! The US parks (at least Orlando) don't actually need to spend any money to make money. I really think WDW could do nothing for ten years and still not see a drop in attendance. I wish it wasn't like that, but it's the sad reality.

This sounds good. I cant wait for my trip later this year.

Im wondering though if the Frozen attraction would be in conjuction with the Japanese release of the second movie? This sounds like something that they may do as Disney is everywhere over here. Im in Japan for the next couple years and this makes me want to stay a little longer, lol.

Also, with the map(s) that I've seen, could they pull a Potter and have it as a connection between parks? Just a thought.

This all sounds pretty fantastic. I am sure it will pretty amazing, given OLC's track record. An actual Frozen land, as executed at the level of the rest of TDS, just sounds amazing. Also, I love the idea of being in a restaraunt and able to have an good parade view. I am interested in their plans for It's A Small World. I have to wonder if they plan to alter the ride experience completely. Change it from flume ride to trackless ride?

Random thought about their fantasyland expansion. Will it also be used as a template for Disneyland? Autopia at Disneyland has been rumored to be removed, as well as subs, for a bit now. I wonder if this will be proof of concept for a Fantasyland expansion at DL? With Matterhorn there, makes a perfect backdrop for a Frozen mini-land.

That's the problem! The US parks (at least Orlando) don't actually need to spend any money to make money. I really think WDW could do nothing for ten years and still not see a drop in attendance. I wish it wasn't like that, but it's the sad reality.

Right but couldn't the argument be made that neither does Tokyo, at least not anymore? But Tokyo has a well-earned reputation for going all out creating the most amazing attractions and areas that anyone's ever seen. It's a shame the US parks don't try for a similar reputation.

Amazing! Spend money to make money.

Hear that US parks?

*cough* PARIS *cough*

First you need to HAVE money to be able to spend it!

Love this news about Tokyo - as if this place couldn't get any better! I can only imagine how great a Frozen port at DisneySea would look. Of course I'm not going to wait until they build it, I always like having excuses to visit Tokyo Disney again!

Also, with the map(s) that I've seen, could they pull a Potter and have it as a connection between parks? Just a thought.

I don't think the parks could do something like this without charging guests for that ride. I've always heard there is something with Japanese law that they are required to charge for transportation which is why the monorail isn't free and their railroad has only one stop. But then again the train in DisneySea has two stops... so i don't know.

I don't think the parks could do something like this without charging guests for that ride. I've always heard there is something with Japanese law that they are required to charge for transportation which is why the monorail isn't free and their railroad has only one stop. But then again the train in DisneySea has two stops... so i don't know.

Perhaps because the monorail is completely outside the parks whereas the DisneySea tram is inside the park? I guess as long as both sides ended in a park, it wouldn't matter if it goes outside the walls. Still doesn't explain Disneyland's one stop railroad though.

Wild guess but could it be something to do with because Disneysea is a shuttle as opposed to a complete loop? So if USJ did build the Hogwarts Express in their next expansion, it would be O.K. because it's a funicular railway.

Still doesn't explain Disneyland's one stop railroad though.

The way I understand it is that in Japan, if you have a transportation system with multiple stops, regardless if it's in a theme park or not, you have to abide by certain government restrictions, taxes, fees, etc, and the only way around this loophole is to have the ride enter/exit at the same place. The moment is takes passengers from point A to point B, it becomes "public transportation", so to speak, and has to be monitored. This is why the Tokyo Disney Monorail is treated much like any other JR Railway train.

Still doesn't explain Disneyland's one stop railroad though.

The way I understand it is that in Japan, if you have a transportation system with multiple stops, regardless if it's in a theme park or not, you have to abide by certain government restrictions, taxes, fees, etc, and the only way around this loophole is to have the ride enter/exit at the same place. The moment is takes passengers from point A to point B, it becomes "public transportation", so to speak, and has to be monitored. This is why the Tokyo Disney Monorail is treated much like any other JR Railway train.

Which is why I was confused by Disneysea's tram, is it because that one is a shuttle as opposed to a circuit? Or for that matter wouldn't the disneysea boats count? Seems like an interesting law regardless.

What I remember, is that there was the taxation thing in place, that Robb posted, and the train around TDL couldn't be built. But the gp wanted a train ride, so they made it into an attraction. With one station. Same thing with the monorail, so they made it into a transport ride, ticketed separately.

After the park opened in 1983, things apparently changed in regards to this law, which allowed OLC to put in the trolley ride, with two stations, at TDS. And the steamer boat rides there, too.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Utterly fantastic news for an utterly fantastic resort!

It's pretty clear when you visit TDS that the last major plot of land big enough to hold a whole new port is the one they're aiming at now... although they could shoehorn new attractions in ala DL Indy-style "build on the parking lot, walk past the berm" type designs, this looks like the last shot at an entirely new port. (Unless they reclaimed more land on the New York / Cape Cod / Discovery Cove side and widened the whole park... but... yeah).

So, I was always a little surprised that basically Tokyo Disney SEA has basically *1* boat ride (Sinbad) as an attraction, excepting the steamer transportation boats... which would conceptually leave room for a new Frozen boat ride? Or are we all too caught up now with the Maelstrom/Frozen thing and just aren't thinking as creatively as the Oriental Land Company will be?

That said, a "turning" boat ride system ala some of the assumed-to-be-for Shanghai Pirates-land could be pretty amazing if used for this concept too...

And they're moving Small World? Are we going to see a truly modern take on the classic? That could be amazing!

It's unlikely to be a boat ride. Maelstrom was largely a cost savings move and to take advantage of Frozen ASAP. I expect this will be a Hunny Hunt vs. Many Adventures type situation, two very different rides (with Tokyo being clearly the superior offering).

• 1 month later...
A trackless dark ride themed to Frozen would be effing amazing. Especially at Tokyo Disneyland or DisneySea.

I really want that too, but then I realize that the 2 trackless rides I have been on at TDLR (Aquatopia and Pooh), have been on one level with no hills, etc. They may have figured that out by now, how to get around different levels, etc. But if it's tracked, then I hope it's something like DL's Alice In Wonderland (with levels), or even Indy. But if they do it trackless or a boat ride, it's still going to be amazing!

Do ya wanna ride a sleigh ride?

Edited by Nrthwnd

A trackless dark ride themed to Frozen would be effing amazing. Especially at Tokyo Disneyland or DisneySea.

I really want that too, but then I realize that the 2 trackless rides I have been on at TDLR (Aquatopia and Pooh), have been on one level with no hills, etc. They may have figured that out by now, how to get around different levels, etc. But if it's tracked, then I hope it's something like DL's Alice In Wonderland (with levels), or even Indy.

Do ya wanna ride a sleigh ride?

Not sure how *hills* would work for trackless... are there any elevation changes at Mystic Manor? I'm guessing the traction drives on the vehicles could handle some slope... spiral ramps could be very cool!

I'm guessing that elevators would be pretty straightforward to implement, but perhaps not an obvious match to the theme...

Just visited TDS last week, and am pretty excited to see what goes in that corner of the park! It'll definitely help provide some more reason to trek past Port Discovery, and will hopefully look amazing from the river!

^ No, MM is on a level floor, too as is Ratatouille in Paris' WDS.

And then again, the vehicles themself could tilt and move accordingly

on their base.

EDIT to add: Now just picture this view, rounding the corner,

when "The 8th Port" gets built! V

1290582596_ResizeofIMG_2925.JPG.8dd1555c14075b8d3a377697355cd756.JPG

Beyond this shot (and a little to the right)...Arendelle's castle! (not confirmed)

Edited by Nrthwnd

^ No MM is on a level floor, too as is Ratatouille in Paris' WDS.

And then again, the vehicles themself could tilt and move accordingly

on their base.

EDIT to add: Now just picture this view, rounding the corner,

when "The 8th Port" gets built! V

As if DisneySea could possibly get any greater . . . yet it will!

Edited by cfc