TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

If true, it'll be a bit strange hearing Mater talking in Japanese.

They did go to Tokyo in the 2nd movie, so maybe this will be a unique Carsland based on the 2nd movie...

Whatever the case, I'm sure it will best the already impressive CA version.

Sorry but I have literally never understood this logic.

One of the biggest complaints with DCA when it opened was the fact that it was a park about California...in California. Americans seem to think that because Cars 2 had a part in Tokyo, any Cars attraction should be made in that setting. Why would the Japanese want a faux version of what they have 20 minutes away by train.

Furthermore the entire premise of DisneySea was to give the Japanese a total escape experience. Indiana Jones was redressed as a South American theme to make it more exotic to the Japanese. I think its simply illogical to ever make a "Cars in Japan" ride in Tokyo Disney Resort.

I find the entire Carsland in Tokyo rumor questionable at best but I've been wrong before.

^While I get the notion of not having a "Japan within Japan," I think it is to your very point that the Cars Land rumors might make sense. Like you said, the parks (especially Tokyo DisneySea) are about the total escape experience, and having visited Tokyo and visited Cars Land, there is very little difference between the level of "environmental escapism" you can experience while enveloped in Radiator Springs versus standing in the shadow of Mount Prometheus. I easily prefer Tokyo's unique environs to Cars Land, but that didn't stop me from loving DCA's newest land throughout. From the entrance to the huge Cadillac Range, the land is overwhelmingly themed to the point where you seriously can't see (or at least care to see) any of the other realms of the park or doubt that you're not standing in the living world of Cars.

I walked through Cars Land for about a week, and never once was there a moment where I thought this couldn't fit beautifully into the Tokyo Disney Resort (if given the right place in the parks).

If true, it'll be a bit strange hearing Mater talking in Japanese.

They did go to Tokyo in the 2nd movie, so maybe this will be a unique Carsland based on the 2nd movie...

Whatever the case, I'm sure it will best the already impressive CA version.

Sorry but I have literally never understood this logic.

One of the biggest complaints with DCA when it opened was the fact that it was a park about California...in California. Americans seem to think that because Cars 2 had a part in Tokyo, any Cars attraction should be made in that setting. Why would the Japanese want a faux version of what they have 20 minutes away by train.

Furthermore the entire premise of DisneySea was to give the Japanese a total escape experience. Indiana Jones was redressed as a South American theme to make it more exotic to the Japanese. I think its simply illogical to ever make a "Cars in Japan" ride in Tokyo Disney Resort.

I find the entire Carsland in Tokyo rumor questionable at best but I've been wrong before.

All I've read is one or two posters suggesting that as an idea. It could very well still be Radiator Springs with a little bit of Tokyo Disney flair. Or Italy, or London. There are a few settings from the two movies that could be used (or a combination), the Tokyo idea was merely a thought.

Building a Tokyo-themed Cars area in Tokyo isn't too weird an idea given that Disney are currently building a Paris-themed Ratatouille area at Disney Studios Paris.

I'm interested to see what route TDR goes down. Whatever it is you know it will be amazing!

^While I get the notion of not having a "Japan within Japan," I think it is to your very point that the Cars Land rumors might make sense. Like you said, the parks (especially Tokyo DisneySea) are about the total escape experience, and having visited Tokyo and visited Cars Land, there is very little difference between the level of "environmental escapism" you can experience while enveloped in Radiator Springs versus standing in the shadow of Mount Prometheus. I easily prefer Tokyo's unique environs to Cars Land, but that didn't stop me from loving DCA's newest land throughout. From the entrance to the huge Cadillac Range, the land is overwhelmingly themed to the point where you seriously can't see (or at least care to see) any of the other realms of the park or doubt that you're not standing in the living world of Cars.

I walked through Cars Land for about a week, and never once was there a moment where I thought this couldn't fit beautifully into the Tokyo Disney Resort (if given the right place in the parks).

What makes the suspicious about Carsland in Tokyo is the total and complete absence of the Cars franchise in the park. There is no merchandise, there is no feature of Cars in any one of Tokyo Disney's abundance of shows, so on and so forth. The only and literally only mention of Cars in Tokyo Disney Resort that I'm aware of was the easter eggs of Mater and Lightning.

Monsters Inc, Bugs Life, Toy Story, Incredibles, and even Tangled have all had much greater presence in the parks in recent years through characters and shows. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a large franchise based addition to Tokyo Disney in the near future but I just don't think Cars has the popularity to do so.

Two things:

1. I never said it had to be themed to Tokyo. I just mentioned that they went to Tokyo, which could theoretically serve as the backstory to the attraction at Tokyo Disney. Not saying they will, but something cheesy like "Lightning at Mater loved Tokyo so much, they took up residence at TDL..." could serve as the backstory.

2. Japan was the highest grossing international market for Cars 2, so maybe the franchise is popular there and they are just waiting for the perfect opportunity to introduce them to the park? Was there much Monsters Inc. stuff in the parks prior to the attraction being built at TDL?

Edited by Jew

2. Japan was the highest grossing international market for Cars 2, so maybe the franchise is popular there and they are just waiting for the perfect opportunity to introduce them to the park? Was there much Monsters Inc. stuff in the parks prior to the attraction being built at TDL?

Monsters was featured in numerous parades prior to Monsters Inc Ride n Go Seek. Considering that TDL just introduced a new parade that featured plenty of lesser known characters including Aristocats, it just makes me wonder why they wouldn't invest in what is a supposedly-popular franchise like Cars.

^I don't believe there were any Transformers merchandise or references before the ride(s) came to the Universal parks. Just because there is no sign of a franchise at a park, doesn't mean that a attraction/land isn't coming. If the Cars franchise is that popular in Japan, it really isn't necessary to test the market and introduce the merchandise or have characters in parades before (if) they build Carsland.

I remember seeing CARS toy merchandise in electronics (several levels) stores, in toy sections, as well as at the Toys 'R' Us beside Toshimaen Park, in their own section, along with all the power heroes and anime' etc figures. In both TPR Japan tours 2007, and 2011.

So I think that CARS has been there in Japan since the first movie came out.

At least by 2007.

Edited by Nrthwnd

What makes the suspicious about Carsland in Tokyo is the total and complete absence of the Cars franchise in the park. There is no merchandise, there is no feature of Cars in any one of Tokyo Disney's abundance of shows, so on and so forth.

Not true.

I only just bought some Cars merchandise from Tokyo Disneyland on Wednesday 29 May. It was a Mater toy done up in flying garb (with wings and a cap etc - I assume from Cars 2 - i dunno i havent seen it). So they DO have Cars merchandise there, not a great deal of it, but it is there.

It is true though that there is no mention of it in either parade.

What makes the suspicious about Carsland in Tokyo is the total and complete absence of the Cars franchise in the park. There is no merchandise, there is no feature of Cars in any one of Tokyo Disney's abundance of shows, so on and so forth. The only and literally only mention of Cars in Tokyo Disney Resort that I'm aware of was the easter eggs of Mater and Lightning.

Monsters Inc, Bugs Life, Toy Story, Incredibles, and even Tangled have all had much greater presence in the parks in recent years through characters and shows. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a large franchise based addition to Tokyo Disney in the near future but I just don't think Cars has the popularity to do so.

P1070135.jpg.6a384ce817ce6831218220a5d0dc2034.jpg

This guy was sitting out autopia last time I visited.

Hey guys,

Long time lurker,new poster

Does anybody have a layout,blueprint, track layout of Pooh's Honey Hunt?

Thanks in advance!

I have never seen ANYTHING released from the Tokyo Disney Resort.

EDIT:

I did find this, however, I have no idea if it is accurate and I cant make it any bigger

Link

3648136425_c3247e9b36_o.thumb.jpg.93245f7770ba59c8579099471544ddfb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.olc.co.jp/wpmu/wp-content/blogs.dir/8/files/2013/06/20130619_e.pdf

Oriental Land Co., Ltd. announced that new entertainment will be introduced at Tokyo Disneyland® Park and Tokyo DisneySea® Park. “Once Upon a Time,” an entertainment program richly using projection mapping* technology, will premiere at Tokyo Disneyland in 2014. And at Tokyo DisneySea, a new musical production themed to Disney’s The Little Mermaid will open in 2015 at Mermaid Lagoon Theater.

At Tokyo Disneyland

“Once Upon a Time”

A fantastic and heartwarming nighttime entertainment, “Once Upon a Time” richly uses projection mapping technology. Projection mapping makes it possible to project images in a way that fits the contours of buildings and other structures to produce a three-dimensional effect. This is the first time for this technology to be used in an entertainment program at Tokyo Disney Resort®.

Many of the inspiring stories from the Disney films, including Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, and Alice in Wonderland will be vividly projected in 3D on the exterior of Cinderella Castle, the symbol of Tokyo Disneyland. This show will also include popular musical pieces from these films and special effects, such as on-stage pyrotechnics.

Show Facts

• Duration: About 15 minutes
  • Venue: Cinderella Castle
  • Opening Date: Spring or Summer 2014 (tentative)
  • Investment Amount: About 2 billion yen (tentative)

At Tokyo DisneySea

New production at Mermaid Lagoon Theater

The attraction, Mermaid Lagoon Theater, will be revamped, and a new musical production themed to Disney’s The Little Mermaid will be presented.

Mermaid Lagoon Theater will be renovated with upgraded stage and lighting technology, as well as new display screens to be installed at the rear of the audience seating area. As King Triton hosts a musical concert, familiar Disney characters, such as Ariel, Flounder, and Sebastian, will present a mesmerizing world under the sea, just as in the movie, with lively music, songs and dynamic performances.

Show Facts

• Duration: About 15 minutes
  • Opening Date: Spring 2015 (tentative)
  • Investment Amount: Undecided

Please note that the musical production “Under the Sea,” currently presented at Mermaid Lagoon Theater, will close permanently on April 6, 2014. Mermaid Lagoon Theater will be closed from April 7, 2014 to spring of 2015 (tentative).

Note: “The Legend of Mythica”, the daytime harbor show which opened in July 2006, will close on September 7, 2014.

1565932183_MermaidTheater.jpg.07aea413a3992996ca75f9a2f0b75901.jpg

So Tokyo Disneyland will be getting a nighttime fireworks spectacular in the vein of Disneyland Paris' Disney Dreams, Tokyo DisneySea will replace its "Under the Sea" show in Mermaid Lagoon with a new production and The Legend of Mythica will be retired in late 2014. That's a lot to take in but it should lead to some great new things for the resort!

Edited by jedimaster1227

As much as i'm sure the new show will be amazing, I will miss the old little mermaid show, I went expecting very little and was really suprised by how much aerial work (pun not intended) went into each show when it happened so often. The little kids were fascinated with flying through the air on her trapeze (swimming through the fake ocean on her trapeze) and all the other aerial actors representing the fishes. I expected something cringe-worthy like the golden mickeys but came away really impressed.

^ I will miss the old show, too. But I am sure a few of those things that made the first show so special (like the trapeze), especially for children, will be used again. And it looks like they are going to design the new show to still run only as long as the first one - 15 minutes. Short for adults, but more than enough time to enthrall all the kids, which is who the production is mainly for, lol.

And like I said before - something new and awesome to come back to see, at Tokyo Disney Sea.

"Note: “The Legend of Mythica”, the daytime harbor show which opened in July 2006, will close on September 7, 2014."

I thought this was like Fantasmic or The Electrical Parade in the US & would become the Tokyo Disney show that would run forever. A great, unique show.