TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

Bumping this thread back from the dead because Cirque has announced that the Viva Elvis show @ ARIA will be closing in January to incorporate elements from ZED.

As a result of the recent tragedies in Japan, Cirque du Soleil has had to make a difficult decision to close its permanent show ZED by the end of this year. But in making that difficult decision an opportunity presented itself to enhance Viva Elvis. ZED features some of the most impressive acrobatic acts ever presented on stage and we truly wish to continue bringing these performances to our audience.

This is quite sad - several of us went to see it during the Tokyo tour and it was absolutely spectacular. I also saw Kooza (a CDS touring show that happened to be in Tokyo while we were there) and it wasn't nearly so impressive as Zed.

I struggle to believe it's because of the earthquake. Tokyo Disneyland was absolutely heaving (60 minute line for Philharmagic) but the show had plenty of empty seats. The ticket prices for Zed were insanely high though - I think my seat was 14,000 yen, and for that price you can buy a 3-day ticket to Tokyo Disneyland.

• 1 month later...

Sunday not only marked 9/11 for the US, but also six months since the earthquake in Japan. If anyone was curious about the cleanup and recovery efforts in the more effected northern portions of the country, I came across this great series of pictures that I think speak for themselves: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/09/japan-earthquake-six-months-later/100146/.

There's still a lot of work to do, but what they have accomplished is absolutely amazing yet somehow unsurprising.

• 2 months later...

It is being reported that Tokyo Disneyland's Star Tours will be upgraded to Star Tours 2.0 in a similar fashion to the Orlando and Anaheim versions. Ride is expected to be closed from April 2012 to Spring 2013.

http://www.olc.co.jp/wpmu/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2011/11/20111116_02e.pdf

Tokyo Disneyland Attraction

Star Tours to be Reintroduced in a New Version!

Star Tours: The Adventures Continue

Opening Spring 2013

URAYASU, CHIBA— Tokyo Disneyland® Park announced that its attraction Star Tours in Tomorrowland will be revamped, reopening with the new title, Star Tours: The Adventures Continue. The new version of the attraction will open in spring 2013.

The current Star Tours is an immersive motion-based adventure that lets guests experience the thrills of space travel in the world of the Star Wars film series. The attraction opened at Tokyo Disneyland in 1989, and now after more than 20 years, it still remains popular among guests of all ages.

The main feature of the revamped attraction is that guests can enjoy the thrills of a new and unpredictable experience with every ride. The ride is comprised of several scenes, each with multiple scenarios for each scene that are selected at random. This means that guests never know what they will encounter out of the more than 50 possible story combinations for every ride. The attraction will also feature 3-D images for the first time, allowing guests to feel like they’ve truly entered into the world of the Star Wars film series.

Star Tours: The Adventures Continue promises manifold fun and thrills for guests of all ages – for fans of the Star Wars series as well as those unfamiliar with the film.

The attraction will create a whole new world of excitement in space travel at Tokyo Disneyland.

Attraction Facts

Opening date: Spring 2013

Duration: About 4 minutes 30 seconds

Capacity: 40 seats per cabin

Number of cabins: 6 cabins

Investment:About 7 billion yen

Note: In preparation for this renewal, Star Tours will close as of April 2, 2012.

Edited by larrygator

This is a good move for Tokyo, and hopefully Paris will eventually follow. I think the original Star Tours is at the point where it either needs to get upgraded to the new version, or just completely torn out and replaced with a new attraction. The "old and busted" Star Tours just doesn't look good by today's standards, and really didn't fit into the Disney parks anymore IMO.

This will be good for Tokyo's Tomorrowland. The Star Tours building there is HUGE and is a prominent building in the area, so it'll be good to see it house a quality attraction.

Pretty sure this is the first news from Japan that I'm 'meh' about. We all knew it was coming, and I'm not a big Star Wars/Tours fan so...meh.

I didn't really need a reason to go back anyways!

But - Jasmine's Flying Carpets!

Toy Story Midway Mania!

Lava Monster!

(Honestly, I'm a bit 'meh' about it, myself. But, it could be new fun, in Japanese!)

^ (I know).

I still am curious how it goes, since I never had ever ridden in TDL's

current version. In 2007, it was down for maintenance. And this last tour,

I just wasn't interested enough (RunToPooh!) to even go into the building, LOL.

Did look roomy, though. The entry building, I mean.

If nothing else hopefully this will draw away some of the crowd from Monsters Inc. Of course these two rides are right next to each other and the Japanese aren't dumb and will probably just end up Fastpassing one and then waiting in line for the other. Oh well, maybe it'll help Pooh's line a little.

As this seemed to be the most recent Tokyo Disney related thread, I thought I'd post my question in here.

My wifey wants to visit Japan and I am looking at a trip over some time next year (after my LA-Vegas trip) for us and the little 'un. My question is on a somewhat touchy subject, but how is Tokyo Disneyland/sea for those of the population who are.......... let's say........... well proportioned? I mean, I'm an average size guy, but my wife is probably a size 20-22 and I really wouldn't want to have her sit outside for 90% of the attractions.

She isn't a real coaster fan, but all them good rides such as Journey and Indiana Jones etc etc, I reckon I can get her on them. Anyone with experience here?

^I don't know if anyone can be of too much help here. We've never had someone that size on our trips to Japan before and you really don't see 'large' people at the park. I would assume the worst especially on some of the rides you mentioned that have a fixed position lap bar that MUST be able to lower down completely into position. Obviously she'll be able to do a ton of stuff though like the dark rides, seat belt stuff, etc.

Thanks for that.

I'm assuming the sizing I gave is the same here (AUS) as it is in the US. I'd think it is, LOL.

Anyhoo, even if she didn't go on the more exciting stuff like Journey etc then it seems as if there should be, as you say, plenty more to do anyway.

• 5 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/12/toy-story-mania-will-open-at-tokyo-disneysea-july-9/

Tokyo Disney Resort recently announced that a new attraction – Toy Story Mania! – will debut at Tokyo DisneySea on July 9, 2012.

The attraction will be located in Toyville Trolley Park, a new area themed after an old-fashioned amusement park. Toy Story Mania! will have a few differences from the attraction here at Walt Disney World Resort, including the fact that guests will initially enter through Woody’s mouth. From here, guests will find themselves in Andy’s room, which is strewn with larger-than-life board games, puzzles and other toys.

Guests later board a tram, put on 3-D glasses and roll under Andy’s bed where the toys have set up a carnival play set. Joining in the fun, guests play the carnival games with all their “Toy Story” friends.

The attraction also will be accompanied with Slinky Dog’s Gift Trolley merchandise shop.

tsm0129121LARGE.thumb.jpg.1048bed7aab52d98be91afb218782023.jpg