TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

First and only day at Disney World

I'm slowly reaching the final stadium of planning my trip to Florida (thanks to Beemerboy for helping me out). My girlfriend and I will be visiting Disney World Wednesday, May 30. This will be our first time at Disney World and we just want to do as much as possible. I know we should have booked more days at Disney etc, but it is the way it is, and we want to make the most of it.

Opening times are 9-10 for Magic Kingdom. Beside MK, we also want to do Animal Kingdom and Studios. Even though Epcot gets amazing reviews, we will most likely skip this because we just won't have enough time to stroll around and enjoy the park. Test Track being down is also a reason.

We don't mind the fact that we won't be able to take in the parks properly and probably won't lose much time on dining inside the park either. Our goal is to get the most out of our day and we want to focus on the major rides (coasters/darkrides/water rides). Shows and parades will probably be skipped anyways because we don't really like that. Same goes for fireworks. While this might not be the best approach to visiting Disney World, this is what we chose for and if you could help us out, it'd be amazing.

1) According to my research, our schedule should be: - Animal Kingdom 9-12 / Studios: 1-4 / Magic Kingdom 4-10. Is this realistic?

2) We will have a car. How far in advance should we be at the Animal Kingdom gates to be part of the first group of people inside the park? How long should entering the complex and parking our car take? What would be the best area to park our car?

3) Travelling between parks seems like quite a task. Should we take our car and get to another parking, or take monorail/bus? How should we make the AK-DHS and the DHS-MK transfer? Is 30 minutes each a reasonable timeframe?

Are the bus/monorail stops usually in front of the entrance gates?

4) Are there specific FP-strategies we should know about? Or should we just walk up to the ride we want, and then take the FP and go for the next ride and come back? Can we take FP for a certain ride, anywhere in the park, or only at the FP booth near that ride? Can we have several FP at the same time, or just 1?

Even though this is going to be an intense day, I feel pretty confident that we can pull it off and still have fun, if we get to AK on time, and don't lose too much time on us being inexperienced (transfers, not finding rides...).

Some input would be gladly appreciated. If anyone needs help for a trip to Belgium, let me know, I'll help you out.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're schedule looks good to me, though you might be able to get out of AK even sooner depending on how much you want to do.

From what I remember cars were the way to go- there aren't any monorails that connect parks beyond Magic Kingdom and EPCOT anyway.

Fastpasses are only for the ride you are at, no central place, sorry.

I'll defer to others who are more regular for the other questions. Hope you have fun!

I'm assuming that you're trying to ride all the high-profile rides in the 3 parks in one day. So you should be able to see most of those.

Get to AK at 8:30. If you want to ride do the Safari, grab a Fast Pass at Everest (and maybe even grab a ride in Everest while you're there) and head back and ride the safaris before the lines get crazy. Go back and your EE window should be open. Then head over to Dinosaur and ride that. Head out by 11/11:15. Try to get to the Studios by noon. (Those bus rides between parks can take some time; obviously a car is quicker).

Then head to TDS. Grab a Fast pass for wither R&R Coaster or TOT and then get in line for the other one. You should be able to ride both big rides in an hour to an hour and a half. Then you'll have time to hit the studio tour, Star Tours, possibly one other thing by 4.

Then head to the MK, grab a Fast Pass for Space Mountain or Splash Mountain. Then ride Pirates, Mansion, Jungle Cruise, basically all the classics that won't have ridiculous lines. When your Fast Pass opens up, head to the other mountain to grab a Fast Pass for that., then head to the first mountain & use your FP. Try to ride Big Thunder at night (possibly with Fast Passes). Then prioritize which Fantasyland dark rides you want to hit, and maybe consider the TTA or Buzz.

It will be a breakneck day (I think even 2 or 3 days can be too rushed), but if you want the best of the 3 parks, it could be done, as long as the parks aren't choked with people and the Fast Passes run out..

iplf - It will probably be best if you prioritize what rides you want to ride most at each of the three parks. Everyone will have their own opinions and preferences but it will be easier for us to help you if we know what you enjoy.

Edited by larrygator

^ Exactly.

If you want all the "can't miss" attractions, then you'll be fine. Like if you can do without the time-consuming things like shows or rides like Kilimanjaro Safaris or the Sudio Tour, you'll have plenty of time for other stuff.

How I would do it: At AK, I'd try to get 2 rides on Everest and ride Dinosaur. Then get out of AK.

At the Studios, one ride on R&RC, possibly 2 rides on TOT, the Great Movie Ride. Then get out.

Then you should have plenty of time to go to MK and experience Splash, Space, & Big Thunder Mountains, Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, and a few other rides.

That's how I would do it if I had one day in those 3 parks. And other attractions can be experienced on a return trip (which you'll definitely want to make after spending a day there)...

Thanks already!

^Our approach indeed is to get out of AK and Studios as fast as possible (including a walk around the park though). They both have signature rides that we REALLY want to do though, so we don't want to skip those parks either.

Animal Kingdom:

- Expedition Everest (re-ride maybe?)

- Kilimanjaro Safaris --> Just noticed the ride itself is 20 minutes + extra time, so we might skip that, depending on when our EE FP time slot is.

- Primeval Whirl

- Kali River Rapids maybe, although 1 water ride (Splash Mountain) is already too much for me .

Studios:

- Tower Of Terror

- Toy Story Mania??

- Rock N Rollercoaster (already rode it in Paris though, so if we run into any unforeseen problems, we could skip this one)

- Studio tour or Great Movie Ride

- is Star Tours worth it?

Magic Kingdom:

- Big Thunder Mountain

- Space Mountain

- Splash Mountain

- Pirates

- Barnstormer

- Haunted Mansion

Which darkrides do you suggest? It's a Small World, Peter Pan...? They'd mainly be for my girlfriend who wants the 'Disney Experience'. She has never been to Disneyland Paris, I have.

^Unfortunately, squeezing in Toy Story Mania will be difficult, as Fast Passes will be out by the time you get to the park. The stand-by line for Toy Story Mania will be at least 60 minutes.

Since you are going be in for a long day you might want to skip Kali River Rapids just to be comfortable and dry for the majority of the day.

When it comes to the Fantasyland dark rides, I like to hit that area during the evening parade. Before you get you hopes up to hit specific ones, you suggest just assess the situation at that time based on the wait times. Peter Pan usually has the longest wait time but is much more manageable during the parades.

Based on what you have said I would do the following.

Be at Animal Kingdom before opening.

Go to EE first, grab a fast pass and also get a ride in.

Then head to Kilimanjaro Safari. Ride it as long as it will allow you to get be EE to use your Fast Pass before it expires.

Then head back to EE

Then Primeval Whirl and I suggest you try at Dinosaur, also in that area.

Check out the return times for Tower of Terror and RnR Coaster and grab the Fast Pass with the earlier return time. Then get on the Stand-by line for the other ride. Then head over to Great Movie Ride followed by the Studio Tour. Personally I'd try to fit in MuppetVision if you still have time before using your Fast Pass.

I always do a bad job navigating the Magic Kingdom and getting stuck in the wrong area during a parade so I'll leave that advice to a local. My only advice is too not keep criss crossing the park when your time is limited.

Like others have said I would try to squeeze in dinosaur at ak it really doesn't have a bad queue until midday, a very well made ride! Star tours is definitely worth going on since it became 3d, much more immersive than before. Have a great time, my girlfriend and I have done all 4 parks in a day before and that was in June so you should be fine. Driving to each park is recommended as your parking ticket is valid all day at all parks and we've found that the Disney transport gets less frequent during off peak hours.

I'll second Larry's advice. Get to AK at opening, head right to EE, grab a Fast Pass, and get in line. Then head over to Kilamjaro's. The line shouldn't be too bad at that point. I'd skip Kali River, and go over and hit up Dinosaur, and them Primevil Whirl, then get back to EE with your FP.

At DHS, get in line for TSM right away if there aren't any FPs left. Which there probably will not be. Then I'd run over and see how the lines look for RnRC and ToT. Grab a FP for both, or which ever one has a longer line. There's no sense in running back and forth across the park all day. You'll wear yourselves out. After that hit up Great Movie Ride, just for laughs, and then over to Star Tours.

At MK, I like to go counter clockwise. Hit SM, then work my way back around toward Fantasyland, and into Liberty Square and Frontierland.

Personally, I'd take my time (and maybe kill AK as a park to visit), as you're looking at a pricey endeavor for one day, and burning out the girlfriend in one day will not make her appreciate the WDW.

Thanks for the great advice once again.

TSM seems like a 'problem-ride'. It's not a priority, so depending on the crowds, we'll just skip that. DHS has magic hours that day, so it'll definitely be crowded.

I've thought about starting at DHS, but with the magic hours, we won't 'profit' from being there at the regular opening time, while I feel like we'd only have to spend 2 hours, maybe 2,5 at AK if we get there at opening. This will probably be a lot longer and more 'stressful' (cause EE is my nr1 priority) if we do this park 2nd.

Oh and the girlfriend's used to being 'burnt out' .

After all the advice I feel even more confident that we can pull it off. I'm so excited now!

I think you've got a pretty solid idea for a game plan, but my main questions are:

Why Great Movie Ride or the Studio Tour? Neither are all that great and the stunt show for either Indy or Lights, Motor, Action would be roughly the same time but more enjoyable (at least for me anyway) The shows could prove problematic since they do have set times, but... really Great Movie ride is pretty lame, even by "Its 100F outside and I want to be in the AC and away from the FL sun" standards.... Star Tours doesn't typically get too long of waits either and can be a nice distraction if you've not seen it already. The new version is a definite step up from what it used to be. Not something "mandatory" but definitely a good thing if you've got a bit of time.

For Animal Kingdom, do not pass up the safari. The whole point of the park is that tour... Another one that I've always liked and isn't too long of a wait/show is "It's Tough to Be a Bug" inside of the Tree of Life. The queue will give some great views of the main focal point of the park, and its got some good effects for your typical "3D Movie" Also, Primeval Whirl is hit or miss; it isn't an exceptionally good coaster, and if you've been on a spinning one before, its pretty basic. Sure there are some "elements" added around about the comets/what not... but its still a spinning coaster at heart with a cookie-cutter layout. You also run the risk of getting a 1-side operation day which pretty much guarantees a crappy wait... I've always liked the other Dinosaur ride more TBH...

For MK: Peter Pan will be a long wait, and FP aren't always available depending on what time you're getting to MK. In the summer, it barely gets below 60 minutes... Buzz Lightyear is another one that is a must-see in my book, especially if you didn't get to do Toy Story Mania. They're similiar in terms of being a 'game' but it is still one that doesn't typically have crazy wait times and can be fun. The parade will provide a good opportunity to get in a quick ride at some spots, though I cannot help but mention the fireworks. If you're truly after the "Disney Experience" for your girlfriend... punctuating the day with Wishes is just that, the full Disney Experience; not many parks put something like that on every night and there is something special about the whole thing coming together at the castle for a great show.

• 2 months later...

Don't really want to bump an old thread, but I do like to thank all the people that helped me out in this topic.

We had a great day at Disney and managed to do a lot of the rides we wanted, without having to hurry. We even did a mid-day swim in our hotel (15 minutes away).

Morning advice on getting FP for EE, then riding EE and then Safari + EE afterwards was great.

We did Primeval Whirl and Dinosaur and got out of the park bij 11.30.

In the Studios we only did RNR and TOT (FP) and then returned to our hotel because we needed a break.

We arrived at MK around 4.30 PM and did SM, BTM, SM, Small World, speedway (??), Buzz, Haunted House.

We definitely enjoyed ourselves. Even though lines were short, there were too many people for my liking. That kind of ruins the Disney atmosphere. I feel like not a slower schedule but smaller crowds would have made a difference, but considering the reasonable wait lines, I think that's rather impossible.

I'd rank my US+IOA and Sea World-experience above Disney, but I'm glad we managed to spend a day at Disney though.