TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasting for Kids 2012 - Be part of Team TPR!

After some problems in the morning at Dorney, they really got things going and had a dedicated train just for Coasting for Kids. They gave us a free on-ride photo with a frame(14.99) plus the lunch ticket and fastlane (which was not really needed, the rides side was not crowded). I almost got 25 rides in, I wish I could have done more but I did stay around the ride area for most of the day while not riding. The heat seemed to really get to me along with the helix.

I'm glad I did the event and that Team Dorney/Team TPR did such a great job raising money. Also got to meet some great people from TPR!

The awards ceremony was pretty quick but seeing the family and the two little boys so excited was well worth it. When the mom started her speech I really held it together plus she did keep it short. Her one son (she has two sons who are sick) almost died during surgery in March, so seeing him there having a great time was amazing.

Can't wait till next year! Hope everyone else had an amazing day!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not lose sight of the real reason that we participated in this event. Even though there may have been problems at some parks, we still managed to raise a whole lot of money for a great organization! That is what yesterday was really all about. As enthusiasts, we can go to parks any time and ride coasters until we pass out. But, it is not every day that we have have the opportunity to make such a huge and wonderful difference in the lives of children all around the country. The money that we raised is going to do so much good for so many people. That alone is enough to make it all worth it. Any coaster rides that you got in yesterday were just icing on the cake!

Special thanks to the Kings Dominion team for a great time! It was nice to meet you all. Hopefully, we will meet up again at a park some time soon!

-Jason

A big thanks to Give Kids the World and Cedar Fair for putting this event on. I am still amazed of how much money everyone involved with it raised an am proud to be a member of Team TPR!

With all the riding, free food, being on Dominator's lift hill for 40 minutes and spending the day with some great people it was an awesome day!

This....

Let's not lose sight of the real reason that we participated in this event. Even though there may have been problems at some parks, we still managed

to raise a whole lot of money for a great organization!

Let's not lose sight of the real reason that we participated in this event. Even though there may have been problems at some parks, we still managed to raise a whole lot of money for a great organization!

Let's not lose sight of the real reason that we participated in this event. Even though there may have been problems at some parks, we still managed to raise a whole lot of money for a great organization!

Edited by robbalvey

^Exactly. That was the KD team's mantra all through the day. It's about raising money to help Give Kids the World--not about us. And we had a great time doing it--one of the best days I've ever had at Kings Dominion.

My thanks to all the KD contigent of Team TPR for being excellent yesterday!

Good morning! I had such a blast at CGA yesterday. The highlight of my day was when we were told that all the clubs raised 190,000! Made me proud to be part of TPR. It also made me feel like there is still hope out there for children like my little brother. I only managed to get in 6 rides in flight deck due to a bad back and having to walk up and stairs was killing my back. But this was okay because my 2nd favorite thing from yesterday was meeting 14 new friends and riding some other rides with them later in the day. It was truly amazing that 14 strangers can become instant friend. I

I would to thank Robb, Kara and Cedar Fair for doing this event end raising awareness for this magical place.

^^It was great being at KD with all of you!

I've never had a day like it (I'd normally feel weird riding Anaconda 8 times within an hour!) but I really enjoyed myself and felt great about doing it as it was for the kids. I don't think I've ever been thanked so much for riding coasters as I was yesterday! I think seeing the contents of Chuck's gift bag and having each item explained by the GKTW staff was a highlight of the day- it really showed just why we were there and was a great way to end the visit.

I had tons of fun yesterday at Kings Island. I got to meet quite a few TPR members as well as a bunch of other people.

Here is the official photo that KI is using for the press. It's been in a few online news articles. I'm the one in sunglasses in the 2nd row.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151169018673368&set=a.226729858367.174830.155893938367&type=3&theater

Being a part of Team TPR at CGA yesterday was a lot of fun, yeah there may have been some slip up's in what they promised us but we all managed to make a fun day out of it. I sorta managed to get back at them (all out of fun by the way) by getting Flying Eagles to E-stop within 30 seconds of the ride starting it's cycle. But eh part that tops it all off has to be the woodstock express takeover. It was great meeting a lot of new people and seeing some familiar faces as well. I hope to see everyone again real soon.

Personally, I didn't really care at all it wasn't a true marathon at cga. It was free admission, fast lane on the best coaster in the park, and supported an amazing cause. Not to mention meeting new tpr people I had never met before. What more could you ask for?

I had a great time and want to thank robb & elissa for getting the word out and cga for being hosts to a great event! I'll be back next year with a higher fundraising goal for sure!

Kings Island did a great job and I thought things went really well. We had a great crew on The Racer, Don the PR guy was there a good part of the day, and we had two families talk about their experiences with GKTW Village. Hearing their stories was enough to put you in tears. It's why we were there.

Proud to have been a part of Team TPR and look forward to doing it all over again next year. Although I will be taking Monday off next year. Yikes I am sore.

-daron

We all had a blast at Michigan's Adventure yesterday. The park was on the ball the whole day, and the staff was fun and encouraging. Everything proceeded smoothly, and calmly. Several members of public chatted with us, offering support and kind words for the whole event. Several people told me they'd sign-up next year.

Way to go Michigan's Adventure, Cedar Point, TPR and of course Give Kids The World!

Cameron.

Personally, I didn't really care at all it wasn't a true marathon at cga. It was free admission, fast lane on the best coaster in the park, and supported an amazing cause. Not to mention meeting new tpr people I had never met before. What more could you ask for?

I had a great time and want to thank robb & elissa for getting the word out and cga for being hosts to a great event! I'll be back next year with a higher fundraising goal for sure!

Amen, thats what pretty much summed up my day right there.

Amen, thats what pretty much summed up my day right there.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head right there, it was a great day all around.

It's time for me to finally chime in.

I was out Coasting for Kids at Kings Dominion yesterday, with one of the, ahem, other teams. Mostly because I've been working with said other team since before CfK went chain-wide, and there was a legacy event at KD (hence the fact that KD's schedule looks so much different from everyone else's).

Like always, it was an outstanding day, an awesome event, and most important, we raised a TON of money for an amazing place. My hat is off to all those who fudraised, donated, and spread the word about yesterday's event, whether you were part of team TPR or one of the others (I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one), because after all, as Chuck said, many pages ago, "It's about the Kids."

See you all at a Bash again soon.

-Frank

We had a great time at the Knott's event yesterday. I think most riders got well over 100 rides on Jaguar, with the most being around 150.

Spent a good portion of the day hanging with Shirley, David, Shawn and the Bebe's which was completely awesome. But all of the riders for Team TPR were incredible and so many awesome off-the-wall, insane, delirious conversations were had.

I had commented that it was nice that all of the riders were at one ride all day so we got to just "hang out" because it's so hard to spend time with everybody during the awesome TPR events.

This was my 2nd year doing the event at Knott's, and even though Jaguar left it's mark on me I can't wait to do it again next year!!!

A couple of pics from yesterday:

246551_3601909920617_89099487_n.thumb.jpg.1655824d3fd567cb8bc36697d80b9194.jpg

They had a sign out that warned the GP that they would experience delays.

534215_3601927081046_716513941_n.thumb.jpg.4193b525548fe2e4264ccc070de56538.jpg

Shirley and David sometime around ride number 40 I'd guess.

P6100041-L.jpg.1aeb43557750cd345c1d0529a761f2e6.jpg

Knott's gave us a nice spread for Breakfast

P6100043-L.jpg.29b840b2292a2dde5a25f387af1967d7.jpg

Enjoying a delicious lunch of Mrs. Knott's chicken, well except for the Vegan and the no fried food guy. ;)

P6100045-L.jpg.ff99b70b18d5f107efae5188425c4b1b.jpg

During our lunch break, nobody really had any desire to sit for too long.

P6100047-L.jpg.8c148ea10698eb1eca4e22618f78b9c7.jpg

Taking our 100th ride "Cookie Break"!!

P6100050-L.jpg.8fad7ad372a2ee468d909baf8c47b5d1.jpg

It was a beautiful day!!!

P6100051-L.jpg.4b80676acbba79fdc8dd5885343d066c.jpg

We managed to not just break Jaguar, but also Monte and Windseeker (without even riding them). That takes talent!!!

179928_3603312595683_1009937014_n.thumb.jpg.471cc84e90e0bdcd2f7ef5625528436f.jpg

After the end of a long day, it was nice to see Knott's knows what team to support. Go Kings Go!!

OMG this was such a awesome event!!!!!!! The Dorney crew was amazing!!!!! The staff was very friendly throughout the day especially in the AM when things were getting started! I am so happy that I participated and I already can not wait till next year. My favorite part was just knowing that this was all for kids who are sick. That family there was Dorney seemed genuinely excited and that really got to me a little bit. Next year I think I will try a different park for it so I can meet even more TPR people.

This was a Great event for an awesome cause GREAT work everyone. It was a beautiful day and it was great to meet everyone from TPR to other individuals involved that was at Canada's Wonderland. I can't wait for next year to raise more money for GKTW.

Reading all these post about how everyone's day went, is awesome. I'm glad that everyone had a good time!

The event at WoF was nothing short of AMAZING. We started the day on Prowler. I myself got 21 rides in. I had to take a short break to grab some a beverages that were given to us complimentary by the park. The Prowler crew was great. They were very enthusiastic about the event, and over all presence in the park. It was very welcoming and much appreciated. After lunch, we did Mamba, which I got 16 rides on. That crew, as Chad said, was awesome, too. They were VERY enthusiastic about the event. The girl at the dispatch control was great with pumping up the station guest, as well as informing them on what we were doing. It seemed we were greeted by the park guest with an applause every time we rode back in to the station. Next was Patriot, and that was great! I was able to get about 26 rides on that one.

Big thanks to World's of Fun! They were great. They had someone with us at all times, and they were very pleasant about it. Thanks to Larry, and Jessica who I interacted with the most. I, as well as my friends, had a great time. Since it was my first visit to the park, I was VERY pleased. I loved the atmosphere, and employees that always seemed to happy to be there. Great job, World's of Fun! It was also great meeting fellow TPR members from my area. During Patriot, I had a nice conversation with a few members through-out the ride. I really enjoyed myself.

Also, a big thanks to Cedar Fair for putting this together, Robb and Elissa, as well ALL the members at TPR who helped us raise money. Great job, guys! I'm proud to be part of such a community that gives back!

641144887_CoastingforKids!.jpg.fbd7a4ddf72cc5f69103ec1c12876015.jpg

Looks like everyone had a great time. Maybe the parks will try and out do each other next year and be even more awesome next year.Hopefully I will have a little more free time to participate and ride with everyone else. Good job everyone.

Looks like everyone had a great time. Maybe the parks will try and out do each other next year and be even more awesome next year.Hopefully I will have a little more free time to participate and ride with everyone else. Good job everyone.

During our dinner at KD, Gene sure made it sound like that is exactly what he would be doing next year.